Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best non-"high-end" sushi in Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:23 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I think he is quite right to hold his customers to certain standards and to enforce them.
Interesting discussion.

I'd suggest you take a look at this piece:

Tyranny–It’s What’s for Dinner

How did the diner get demoted from honored guest whose wish was the waiter’s command to quivering hostage in thrall to the chef’s iron whim?

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/20...an-restaurants
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I don't think it really has anything to do with xenophobia.
Good to know. Thank you. Some of the best meals I've had are at restaurants where the owner/chef is a cantankerous s.o.b. with high standards.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Been a sushi hound for almost 40 years. All you need is a good chef who knows how to select fish and you get a pretty darn good meal. Never been to Jiro's but I'll try it on my next visit to Tokyo. I've done sublime before so I'll be interested to see if he can really take it to the next level.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by 5khours
If you're at the GH, you can try Ikekan just a 50 meters down TV Asahi Dori on the left or Matsukan in the Juban. Both quite good.
I tried to find Ikekan but google turned up nothing. Is that the correct spelling? Thanks for your advice.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 3:46 am

Programs: A3,BA
I think this is the one:
http://tabelog.com/tokyo/A1307/A130701/13013628/

Address (search in google maps):
東京都港区六本木6-15-19

In Ropongi Arms building.
六本木アームス 2F
Old Dec 3, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by hineygate
I tried to find Ikekan but google turned up nothing. Is that the correct spelling? Thanks for your advice.
What you have to do is activate Japanese language input and type the word with roman characters with it set so that it converts to Hiragana. Often that might be enough.

In this case the search required the kanji for kan, so it's hopeless if you don't know what the kanji is supposed to be. Also you would need to fight with the software because it will try to convert ike to the kanji for "pond" whereas in this case it's written in hiragana. But of course you wouldn't know that.

The only time that things come up in roman characters on google maps is if the place has a website that reads those characters or non-Japanese have reviewed it. The danger with latter is that it might guide you to the wrong location because the foreign reviewer has the wrong address.

I am not sure what ikekan means in this context. "Can go with intuition"? I think the default from the keyboard input is going to be "pond interval".....
Old Dec 3, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: A3,BA
Originally Posted by gnaget
In this case the search required the kanji for kan, so it's hopeless if you don't know what the kanji is supposed to be.
Quick tip:
Google search , いけかん 食べログ (or いけかん ぐるなび).
Both gurunavi and tabelog will return results even if you search only in hiragana (Maybe google does that...not sure).
Old Dec 3, 2013, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Ikekan (すし屋のいけ勘) has a website, Japanese only. But you can see some pictures on the website and get some idea.

Menu
Dinner Omakase JPY 8000. 1 small plate item, 1 grilled item, sashimi, and sushi

Lunch: regular nigiri JPY 1260, tokujyou (superior) nigiri JPY 3675

Pictures of inside of the restaurant

Ikekan is located on 2nd floor of Roppongi Arms building.

Dinner: 6 p.m. – 11 p.m. (Saturdays and national holidays 5 p.m. – 10 p.m.)

Lunch: 12 noon- 1 p.m. (no lunch service on Saturdays, Sundays, and national holidays)

Closed on Sundays and Mondays if national holiday

Cash only on lunch
Old Dec 3, 2013, 10:38 pm

Thank you all so much. I look forward to trying Ikekan on my next visit to Tokyo!
Old Jul 21, 2016, 5:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just curious if anyone knows of, or tried any of these places

Choushimaru (http://www.choushimaru.co.jp/grand_menu/index.html)

Sakura Sushi Tobu Hope Center, 1-15-9 Nishi-Ikebukuro, Toshima-ku, Tokyo, Japan

Uoriki Kaisen Sushi, 3 Chome-14-5 Kotobashi, Sumida, Tokyo, Japan
Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:30 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I love Choshimaru but their locations are all very inconvenient from central Tokyo -- you have to go out into the 'burbs and/or walk a good distance from the nearest train station. The cost-performance ratio is hard to beat, though.

(Oh, duh -- I mentioned Choshimaru near the top of this thread)
Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by joejones
I love Choshimaru but their locations are all very inconvenient from central Tokyo -- you have to go out into the 'burbs and/or walk a good distance from the nearest train station. The cost-performance ratio is hard to beat, though.

(Oh, duh -- I mentioned Choshimaru near the top of this thread)
Whoops I missed your review...I don't mind taking the train out, but is Choshimaru strictly conveyer belt? I thought it was more traditional service like Zanmai.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:26 pm

Programs: NH SFC(*G)
I love Choshimaru, too. There's one near my house and I'm frequent there.

Yes,they have conveyer belt but you can order whatever you want and chef behind the counter will serve sushi for you. You can even order the sushi exist on the conveyer belt.
They have some seasonal specialties, too.

Different from the cheapest conveyer belt sushi, the whole sushi is cooked by chef not by machine. Only exception is the rice for "Gunkan-maki" which (I think) shaped by machine.

The cost-performance ratio is hard to beat, though.
+1
Old Jul 26, 2016, 7:09 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP

Not so much if you're already in, but it looks like they have one in Narita, and not too hard to get to from Narita Station or NRT, assuming I'm remembering correctly that "ウィング土屋" is around the Aeon Mall.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 12:02 am

Kaiko

もし現地に日本語の堪能な友達がいらっしゃるのでしたら
北砂にある『海幸』がおすすめです

http://tabelog.com/en/tokyo/A1313/A131303/13003016/

築地からは少し離れてしまいますが。

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.