Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Kamakura from Tokyo; day trip or overnight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2012, 9:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

In researching Tokyo I have decided I definately want to make it to Kamakura for the history and culture of the old capital but wanted some input whether a full day is enough or whether, as some guidebooks recommend, an overnight would do it proper justice.

I am holding a hotel resevation within blocks of Shinjuku station and could get an early start and could spend a whole day there as I'd done with sidetrips from Osaka to Nara & Himeji last last time in Japan. The bonus however with the overnight is getting to see the sights at a more leisurely pace and perhaps early the next morning before the crowds arrive while the hotel pricing might be a little cheaper than Toyko but on the downside I would have to schlep my luggage more than if I did it as a day trip.

Any input on the subject would help though the trip isn't for a while yet. Thanks!
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
It probably depends on what you are interested in, and what time of year you are going.

As of this time, it is very hot to spend lots of time walking around temples, but the beach scene about 15 minute walk from Kamakura is rather interesting, so I could envision a schedule of one day checking out the beach life in Kamakura/Enoshima, crashing at a cheap place (Hotel New Kamakura is not without its charm), and then getting an early start on the temples while it is still slightly cooler the following morning.

Outside of summer, I'd say that a day trip should be sufficient unless you really like old temples and hiking, in which case I'd still recommend the forementioned place for a one night stay.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hailstorm
It probably depends on what you are interested in, and what time of year you are going.
Sorry, late March.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How long your overall stay is and how in-depth you want to get would also factor into the decision but, if you've already done Nara and Himeji as day trips and ended up satisfied with that, then I imagine that you should be able to accomplish the same with Kamakura.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 2:03 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
+1 for the daytrip. If spending two days you could spend one day mostly walking the footpaths in the hills around Kamakura, which is a great way to spend a day. But on a short trip might not be the top priority.

If you treat it as a day trip, you should be unencumbered by luggage - so get off the train at Kita Kamakura, see Engakuji and then walk down towards the Hachimangu shrine and "downtown" Kamakura.

You should see some flowers (there's more to Japanese gardens than cherry blossoms)
http://www.kamakuratoday.com/e/sight.../f_spring.html
Old Jul 26, 2012, 2:04 am
Community Director Emerita

I did it as a day trip from Yokohama, planning my day based on directions here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/3434883-post9.html

And my small report:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/6000323-post42.html
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:06 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have done Kamakura as a day trip from Shinjuku, no problem. JR Shonan Shinjuku line to Yokohama works well as the first leg. If you get really lucky, you may not even have to transfer in Yokohama.

Contrary to hailstorm's experience noted above, I did not find the 'beach scene' near Kamakura to be very interesting.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 1:11 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Have done Kamakura as a day trip from Shinjuku, no problem. JR Shonan Shinjuku line to Yokohama works well as the first leg. If you get really lucky, you may not even have to transfer in Yokohama.
If you take JR Shonan Shinjuku line from Shinjuku, Shibuya or Meguro, there are two trains every hour which go all the way to Zushi (the station after Kamakura) and you don't need to change at all. From Tokyo or Shinagawa, take JR Yokosuka line which also takes you to Kamakura without having to change trains.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 3:16 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

And on those trains, you can ride in green car comfort the whole way for an extra Y750-900 or so.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Day trip!
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:16 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
For the couple of times I've visited Kamakura, I've only done it as a day trip and found it to be easily done.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: UA, NW
Yes, it's only about an hour out of Tokyo. And if you go on a weekend, you'll find student Good Will Guides waiting at the entrance to the station offering to show you around as an opportunity to practice English. (They're volunteers, so it's a nice gesture to buy them lunch, but they don't charge you anything.)

(I have Japanese friends who live in Kamakura, so I don't need the Good Will Guides, but I have encountered them on several visits.)
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:37 am
Original Poster

In planning my day trip I've found the first train without transfers from Shinjuku - Kita Kamakura doesn't leave until 08:23 on weekdays not arriving until 09:17 but I could make a transfer and go earlier. Are there real any advantages to arriving earlier other than that little bit extra time to take in the sights?

Last edited by tcook052; Feb 8, 2013 at 12:20 pm
Old Feb 8, 2013, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
I wouldn't think there's any real advantage, but I don't think there's any real disadvantage either. If you transfer at Totsuka, you're going to be on the same platform, just one train later, I think. I'd surprised that you can't get to Kita Kamakura without a transfer until that late.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by closetasfan
I wouldn't think there's any real advantage, but I don't think there's any real disadvantage either. If you transfer at Totsuka, you're going to be on the same platform, just one train later, I think. I'd surprised that you can't get to Kita Kamakura without a transfer until that late.
Shonan Shinjuku Line doesn't start running until a couple hours after the start of the day, and the first few connect via the Tokaido-line.

There's absolutely no difficulty changing trains at Totsuka station. The connection is on the same platform, so you literally only have about five meters to walk to catch the next train.

Get there early only if you like to hike. Almost none of the stores in Kamakura open until 11am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.