Wiki Posts
Search

August Tokyo (or nearby) Trip with 5 year old

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2012, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LapLap
Having had a chance to think about this, I'd recommend a visit to Hakone using the Hakone free pass.

You'll have the opportunity to cover a lot of ground and see lots of the landscape and because you use a whole variety of transportation - rail, cable cars, ropeways, boats and only at the end a bus, you don't have to cover a lot of distance on foot, which I know will quickly get tiring for a 5 year old, and for both of you in August. Although the area in itself should give you a bit of a respite compared to the heat sink that is Tokyo.

More info here
http://www.odakyu.jp/english/freepass/hakone_01.html
Not sure I would really recommend Hakone for a six night trip with a five year old in tow as a day trip, mainly because of so much time on transportation and so many changes of transportation modes involved. If your daughter has a lot of stamina and really enjoys travelling though, there are indeed lots of fun things to do.

If she likes swimming, Yunessun could another option in Hakone.

http://www.yunessun.com/english/yunessun.html
Old Jul 15, 2012, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Not sure I would really recommend Hakone for a six night trip with a five year old in tow as a day trip, mainly because of so much time on transportation and so many changes of transportation modes involved. If your daughter has a lot of stamina and really enjoys travelling though, there are indeed lots of fun things to do.

If she likes swimming, Yunessun could another option in Hakone.

http://www.yunessun.com/english/yunessun.html
It's precisely BECAUSE of so many changes of transportation modes and the time spent on said transportation that I'm recommending the Hakone loop tour.
It isn't a journey one endures to go somewhere, the tour is pretty much the point of going to Hakone and why I'm recommending it as a suitable destination for a five year old - just as it's considered appropriate for all the hundreds and thousands of 5 and 6 year olds who also complete the loop as part of school excursions.
An excursion to Hakone is one of the few day long trips I'd feel confident enough to take my three year old on without a stroller as I know she'd have the stamina to deal with the minimal walking required and the changes of transportation would keep her alert and interested (certainly much easier that taking her to the top of Mt Takao which I've done but don't recommend) I can't imagine for a moment that the OP or their daughter would have a problem with the Hakone loop.
You won't have to pay the child fare for the Hakone Free Pass, it's free of charge for kids aged 5 years and younger, without a ticket she may need to sit in your lap for the rope ways and other parts of the trip where space is limited.

Then again, I can't imagine anymore what it's like to post a recommendation here that doesn't get challenged by hailstorm. Contributing to this forum is just getting more and more tedious. I used to value my recommendations being added to and questioned as this would highlight any omissions/errors and increase my understanding.

Last edited by LapLap; Jul 15, 2012 at 7:37 pm
Old Jul 15, 2012, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then again, I can't imagine anymore what it's like to post a recommendation here that doesn't get challenged by hailstorm. Contributing to this forum is just getting more and more tedious. I used to value my recommendations being added to and questioned as this would highlight any omissions/errors and increase my understanding.
I'm sorry you feel that way. I was trying to keep the OP's needs in mind more than yours.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Loyal to Myself
Having had a chance to think about this, I'd recommend a visit to Hakone using the Hakone free pass.

You'll have the opportunity to cover a lot of ground and see lots of the landscape and because you use a whole variety of transportation - rail, cable cars, ropeways, boats and only at the end a bus, you don't have to cover a lot of distance on foot, which I know will quickly get tiring for a 5 year old, and for both of you in August. Although the area in itself should give you a bit of a respite compared to the heat sink that is Tokyo.

More info here
http://www.odakyu.jp/english/freepass/hakone_01.html

If you decide to visit the Hakone Open air Sculpture park there are quite a few areas and exhibits which a child can enjoy and appreciate, the most notable being this one: http://www.thejealouscurator.com/blo...iuchi-macadam/

I have this area in mind for a visit when my soon to be three year old reaches your child's age.

Nearly forgot!
Please take care to ensure that your daughter has shoes that she can slip on and off easily as a great many of the play areas that you will come across (sometimes randomly) will be no shoe zones. If wearing sandals, you should also always have some spare socks to hand, preferably with a bit of a non slip tread incorporated into them. And this goes for you too. You may need to rush into any of those no shoe zones and big adult bare feet (particularly in the summer) won't be warmly welcomed.
Thank you both for the Hakone advice, which I am reviewing now, and most especially the advice on footwear! I am positive I would not have considered this in advance otherwise.

Are "no shoe" zones generally marked in a pictograph of some kind, or is it just assumed one would know where they were not used?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brian
Are "no shoe" zones generally marked in a pictograph of some kind, or is it just assumed one would know where they were not used?
Even if there's no sign, you'll most likely see a lot of shoes and shoeless children in the area to tip you off.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm sorry you feel that way. I was trying to keep the OP's needs in mind more than yours.
When I see, on a consistent basis, the contributions of other posters who have proven themselves to be reliant and accurate conveyors of information also being regularly challenged I can't help but wonder if the needs of the OP are really what are being addressed rather some personal need you have.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even if there's no sign, you'll most likely see a lot of shoes and shoeless children in the area to tip you off.
Agreed.

In the case that you might be the first one there, look out for signs of 'virtual tatami'; a delineated area with a change in colour/textured flooring, or a line or ridge in the floor marking a boundary. Often there will be seats or benches on the perimeter.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Very good point.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately, the zoo has announced that the baby panda died yesterday.
The upside of this is that the female panda was returned to public display today, so you can once again see two pandas at the Ueno Zoo.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I just returned today from our trip.

I'd like to offer my very humble thanks to each of you who helped so.much. The trip was spectacular.

We visited the Ueno Zoo, National Children's Castle, Epson Aqua Stadium, Ghibli Museum, Kidzania, and problalbly a couple other big things, plus many short activities. She had a fantastic time and her eyes opened to a place that is completely new. She travelled like a champ.

I am in your debt for providing so much help to a stranger. Thank you.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately, the zoo has announced that the baby panda died yesterday.
On a happier note, the panda born in Wakayama less than two weeks ago went on public display today.

You might need a pair of binoculars to see it though...

The baby becomes the ninth panda in the Wakayama Adventure World complex, making it the largest collection of giant pandas outside of China in the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.