Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Discount airport bus "Tokyo Shuttle" to operate from July 3, 2012

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 21, 14, 3:35 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: O Sora
Wiki Link
The fare has been reduced to 900 yen flat one way.
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 28, 12, 4:57 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan
Original Poster

Programs: NH DIA+SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), HGP D, HH D, IHG SE

http://www.keiseibus.co.jp/info/upfi...407363cd52.pdf

The Tokyo Shuttle will operate hourly between Tokyo Station and NRT starting July 3, 2012. Fares vary depending on when you purchase the ticket: 2,000 JPY for walk-ups, 1,500 JPY if you reserve the day before or earlier; 1,000 JPY if you reserve a month or more in advance. However, Keisei is charging only 800 JPY until early September.

Timetable: http://www.keiseibus.co.jp/kousoku/day/nrt16_tm.html
Old Jun 28, 12, 5:28 pm
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire

Interesting alternative; I'll be landing in NRT on July 5th, so I'll see if I can give it a try.

It also seems to take just above an hour, traffic pending, so that would be comparable to the N'EX if your transfer/boarding point is Tokyo.

EDIT: According to the timetable, 80-90 minutes from NRT to Tokyo; that's a bit on the slow side
Guess I'll try it on the way to NRT, not from it...

Last edited by KPT; Jun 28, 12 at 5:37 pm
Old Jun 28, 12, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K; DL GM 2MM
It's about time. I wonder how much money from the Limousine Bus fares have lined the pockets of politicians and bureaucrats to keep the competition out for the last 35 years.
Old Jun 28, 12, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by KPT View Post

Interesting alternative; I'll be landing in NRT on July 5th, so I'll see if I can give it a try.

It also seems to take just above an hour, traffic pending, so that would be comparable to the N'EX if your transfer/boarding point is Tokyo.

EDIT: According to the timetable, 80-90 minutes from NRT to Tokyo; that's a bit on the slow side
Guess I'll try it on the way to NRT, not from it...
Yes, but from/to Shibuya the timetable for the Limo bus says 100 or 110 minutes (I forget) but in reality it's about 70 minutes in mid-afternoon. The time in the timetable is "worst case scenario".
Old Jun 29, 12, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gnaget View Post
Yes, but from/to Shibuya the timetable for the Limo bus says 100 or 110 minutes (I forget) but in reality it's about 70 minutes in mid-afternoon. The time in the timetable is "worst case scenario".
Agreed.
I once took a very, very heavily discounted airport shuttle bus from Shinjuku station to Narita airport. The journey took 60 minutes. There is no train that will beat that.
Old Jun 29, 12, 8:14 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LapLap View Post
Agreed.
I once took a very, very heavily discounted airport shuttle bus from Shinjuku station to Narita airport. The journey took 60 minutes. There is no train that will beat that.
There is no train that DOES beat that. I think a train COULD beat that if JR got their act together and ran the N'Ex across Tokyo on the Chuo line tracks and if the train went at some sort of decent speed on the section outside of Narita.

Keisei has thrown down the gauntlet to JR and JR has failed to respond.
Old Jun 29, 12, 11:18 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by LapLap View Post
The problem is that you kind of have to assume that the bus will take the conservative amount of time that the published schedule says, as traffic can be unpredictable, whereas you can more or less rely on the train being on time.
Old Jun 29, 12, 11:41 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
The Keisei Express + JR train is still better than the new bus service. More frequent and reliable, cheaper and more flexible.

There used to be a free shuttle bus service running between NRT and downtown a few years back, once/twice a day, needed to book online. But that didn't last very long.
Old Jun 29, 12, 3:35 pm
KPT

Sorry to post somewhat off topic, but I'll be headed to Asakusabashi this time around; has anyone done the Keisei Sky Access express instead (regular express via Asakusa Line)? Is there dedicated room for your luggage or do you have to hold onto it?

If I end up taking this bus I still need to take something to Akihabara or Ochanomizu and then to Asakusabashi. I'm debating on whether to take the N'EX or this bus/Keisei Sky Access to save a few days on my JR Pass :/
Old Jun 29, 12, 6:17 pm

Programs: Dirt
Sorry to post somewhat off topic, but I'll be headed to Asakusabashi this time around; has anyone done the Keisei Sky Access express instead (regular express via Asakusa Line)? Is there dedicated room for your luggage or do you have to hold onto it?
It's going to be commuter cars so hang on to your bags.

If I end up taking this bus I still need to take something to Akihabara or Ochanomizu and then to Asakusabashi. I'm debating on whether to take the N'EX or this bus/Keisei Sky Access to save a few days on my JR Pass :/
I personally would use the Access Tokkyuu because it will be either 0 or 1 (cross platform) transfer to Asakusabashi. The other methods will involve two transfers at Tokyo and Akihabara stations.

If you feel adventurous there's also a commuter bus 東42甲 that goes from Tokyo station to Asakusabashi.
Old Jun 29, 12, 10:00 pm
KPT

Thanks for the tip. That East 42 route timetable is quite stringent (pretty much every half an hour), but at least I'll be able to fall back to JR in case I miss it. Won't be carrying much, I think, so it shouldn't be too big a deal.

Will report in next week.
Old Jul 4, 12, 10:16 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
LCB

I've read a detailed news article on this bus service.

An executive of the Keisei Bus calls it an LCB or low cost bus. It has no toilets and he says there are more seats on the bus than ordinary buses. That means shorter seat pitches.

The fares:
1 month advance booking: 1000 yen
1 day advance booking: 1500 yen
go show: 2000 yen

But these are only when you take the bus from Tokyo.
If you take it from Narita

Flat rate: 2000 yen

............ I don't think this is attractive. So do you think I wouldn't take the bus? Actually I WOULD. There are pros about the bus.

They have early morning and late night service departing Tokyo.
Last bus departs TYO at 01:30AM
First bus departs TYO at 05:30AM

This may be a good news for mattress runners who needs one more night in central Tokyo, Tsukiji goers, those who have just come back from another city by late hour train etc.

Source(Japanese)
http://www.sankeibiz.jp/business/new...0500003-n1.htm

Last edited by O Sora; Dec 25, 13 at 6:55 am Reason: typo
Old Jul 4, 12, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The LimoBus takes about 80 minutes to Tokyo Station and runs much more frequently, sometimes about every 15 minutes, although unfortunately not as often as to/from MCAT.

IIRC the fare is 3000 yen one way, which sometimes includes a subway day-ticket that you can even use later.

To me, the 2000 yen still isn't so cheap, so at this price point I would probably stick with the LimoBus direct to my hotel.
Old Jul 4, 12, 11:14 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
The LimoBus takes about 80 minutes to Tokyo Station and runs much more frequently, sometimes about every 15 minutes, although unfortunately not as often as to/from MCAT.

IIRC the fare is 3000 yen one way, which sometimes includes a subway day-ticket that you can even use later.

To me, the 2000 yen still isn't so cheap, so at this price point I would probably stick with the LimoBus direct to my hotel.
Better frequency + subway ticket + direct service to your hotel.
Limo bus beats the cheap shuttle.

OT: MSPeconomist, do you know peko chan? Japanese young girls' favorite character. Every time I see your handle, I think of it... since we have MSb0b here.

Last edited by O Sora; Dec 25, 13 at 6:57 am Reason: typo
Old Jul 4, 12, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I can assure people that driving or taking the Limo bus to NRT in the morning (Europe) or mid-afternoon is fast and faster than the trains, especially NEX. When I drove to NRT in the morning it took less than 60 min door to door.

The downside with Keisei train is (for me) to suffer a 30 min Yamanote line ride, so I have never done it. I guess this might be ok for a late afternoon flight but to Europe in the morning is probably not fun.

A bad experience with the NEX was taking it in the early morning from NRT. It stops at Narita city, Chiba and somewhere else as it operates as a semi-commuter train. This slows it down so it took ca. 105 minutes to reach Shibuya.

I have never taken the bus from NRT in the morning, but in the above scenario I could have caught a 8:00 bus bus instead took a 8:15 train. The bus option would have been considerably faster.

The bus around 5 pm (arrival from US) is pretty slow in getting to Shibuya, but they are good at taking shortcuts to avoid rainbow bridge congestion so I would imagine that Tokyo station, Shimbashi, etc. is still pretty fast. A downside with NEX (for me) is that around this time there are some trains in the schedule that don't branch off to Shibuya/Shinjuku so you have to change to Yamanote at Shinagawa during the evening rush hour.

Search this Thread