FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-509/)
-   -   NRT to Shibuya (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan/1333055-nrt-shibuya.html)

gnaget Jul 23, 2012 8:29 pm

It depends on the convenience of the platform to your hotel. Shinjuku adds even more time to NEX. The bus journey should be about the same as to Shibuya.

Regarding the bus and comfort, it has been 2/3 empty from/to Shibuya so there is plenty of space to spread out.

From Shinjuku I would seriously consider the Keisei. Also the Keisei doesn't have the gaps in the schedule where to take the NEX you would have to connect in Shinagawa (or Tokyo).

Re Shibuya, Ginza line vs. Yamanote line then I would take Yamanote to catch the Keisei. It's faster overall. I suppose one advantage is that you can guarantee a seat. However, if you live north of Shibuya station then you normally take Hanzomon to Omotesando and change to Ginza cross platform. This avoids the more congested part of Shibuya.

joejones Jul 23, 2012 8:57 pm

Another option, which I just recalled, is to take the Hanzomon Line to Suitengumae and catch the limo bus from T-CAT (departures every 10 or 15 min if I recall correctly).

tcook052 Jul 23, 2012 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by joejones (Post 18989494)
Another option, which I just recalled, is to take the Hanzomon Line to Suitengumae and catch the limo bus from T-CAT (departures every 10 or 15 min if I recall correctly).

Coincidentally I'm looking at a hotel near Hanzomon station for the last half of my Tokyo stay (splitting up my 10 nights stay between it and the Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku) so if I do confirm it that option would work well.

Thanks for all the input. ^

gnaget Jul 23, 2012 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by joejones (Post 18989494)

Good info. I doubt it's faster overall but it's a great back-up if you miss your NEX or bus out of Shibuya, for example. And a good option if the NEX or Shibuya bus schedule is not a good match with your departure. With this option you can pretty much not worry about schedules. Just head on down to the metro.....

If you do the math from my house door-to-door using TCAT it's 100 min (includes walking, max wait time at TCAT). With NEX the time on train alone is 80 min. The biggest downside is the Hanzomon, although I have taken it at 08:00 and it was quite empty. Probably was a local train coming into Shibuya. At 08:30 you don't want to take it. And there is a bus from the Excel at 08:20.

Right now the limo bus website is showing TCAT to NRT: 53 min Shibuya: 85 min (!), Shinjuku 96 min, Akasaka 60 min.

Not sure about the validity of this data, reconciling Akasaka with Shibuya/Shinjuku.

jib71 Jul 24, 2012 12:19 am

Originally Posted by gnaget (Post 18989359)
From Shinjuku I would seriously consider the Keisei.

+1 for Keisei Skyliner to Nippori, then Yamanote line to Shinjuku. I'd advise the OP to choose between N'EX and Skyliner based on whichever leaves the airport first.

With an ETA of 3:30pm, the OP might get to the airport station in time to catch a 4:15 N'EX or a 4:39 Skyliner. They will both get him to Shinjuku within a minute of each other (5:44 for N'EX / 5:45 for Skyliner + Yamanote). However, N'EX is preferable as you don't need to change to Yamanote and the N'EX + Suica combo offer makes the round trip roughly 1,000 yen cheaper.

Kallio Jul 25, 2012 7:01 am

Originally Posted by jib71 (Post 18983529)
How about taking Ginza line from Shibuya?

I did it once when I opted for a budget option. You'll get guaranteed place to sit in Shibuya as it is terminus - just don't go to the first train if there's a lots of people waiting on the platform. However, there is a few hundred meter walk from Ueno station to Keisei Ueno station. And even if you can sit down, it is neither convenient nor polite to travel with large luggage in the crowded metro.

jib71 Jul 25, 2012 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Kallio (Post 18998271)
And even if you can sit down, it is neither convenient nor polite to travel with large luggage in the crowded metro.

If I can snag a seat at the end of a row, I can put a rollaboard on the shelf above the seat, and fit a 74cm X 48cm X 27cm four wheel suitcase into the space between the end of the row and the door.

I haven't seen any signs to discourage this (on a subway system with no end of etiquette instructions). I have seen signs telling people with large backpacks to take them off and put them on the floor rather than hitting folks in the face.

mjm Jul 25, 2012 8:36 am

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 18989658)
Coincidentally I'm looking at a hotel near Hanzomon station for the last half of my Tokyo stay (splitting up my 10 nights stay between it and the Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku) so if I do confirm it that option would work well.

Thanks for all the input. ^

You are coming for 10 days and a first visit if I recall correctly. Let me know if I can help out at all on the ground when you are here. :-)

tcook052 Jul 25, 2012 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by mjm (Post 18998766)
You are coming for 10 days and a first visit if I recall correctly. Let me know if I can help out at all on the ground when you are here. :-)

The offer is appreciated, mjm. :) I'm coming in a little early before the Japan Do and staying at the end to do some sightseeing on my own.

joejones Jul 26, 2012 5:49 am

Originally Posted by gnaget (Post 18989761)
The biggest downside is the Hanzomon, although I have taken it at 08:00 and it was quite empty. Probably was a local train coming into Shibuya. At 08:30 you don't want to take it.

I never find the Hanzomon Line to be particularly crowded. I'm sure that it is unbearable on weekdays before 9 AM, but during the midday and early evening hours it's very easy to get a seat. The trains are high-capacity and the platforms are large enough to accommodate humans. As far as Tokyo subway lines go, it is basically the most pleasant in my book.

The Ginza Line (which, if you look at a map, zigzags back and forth across the Hanzomon Line) is a different story. The trains are smaller, and though they run at a high frequency they get crowded very often, even in the middle of the day. And lots of doddering old ladies getting on and off in the section between Ueno and Ginza. I try to avoid it, but since it goes right to the basement of the building where I work...

gnaget Jul 29, 2012 8:44 am

Originally Posted by joejones (Post 19004464)
I never find the Hanzomon Line to be particularly crowded. I'm sure that it is unbearable on weekdays before 9 AM, but during the midday and early evening hours it's very easy to get a seat. The trains are high-capacity and the platforms are large enough to accommodate humans. As far as Tokyo subway lines go, it is basically the most pleasant in my book.

The Ginza Line (which, if you look at a map, zigzags back and forth across the Hanzomon Line) is a different story. The trains are smaller, and though they run at a high frequency they get crowded very often, even in the middle of the day. And lots of doddering old ladies getting on and off in the section between Ueno and Ginza. I try to avoid it, but since it goes right to the basement of the building where I work...

Also the AC is crappy on the old Ginza trains but if you get one of the newer Hanzomon trains it's cool bliss. Hanzomon is very crowded outbound from Shibuya where I get off. (It turns into Chuorinkan here.) Large crowds enter at Omotesando and then Shibuya. It's sardine packed as it leaves Shibuya at 6 pm, 7 pm, 8 pm, you name it. I usually do not get a seat from Kudanshita in the evening.

And from Shibuya inbound it depends on whether it's a local or express before it turns into Hanzomon.

hakzai Mar 24, 2013 9:20 pm

I need some help for NRT to Shibuya, I arrive NRT at 6:15am on CX524.
My 1st time taking such an early flight into NRT
Usually I take the Narita Express directly to Shibuya and walk over to the Shibuya Excel Hotel.

What would be the best option for such an early flight?

My friend is also arriving on the same flight but she would be staying at the Capitol Hotel Tokyu. How could she get there?

Thx in advance

gnaget Mar 24, 2013 9:58 pm

I would take the bus to TCAT at 07:00. You can change to Hanzomon metro (20 min to Shibuya) there. The metro should be empty after Otemachi, and I think you might beat the rush since most workers are targeting an ~08:50 arrival.

I have taken Hanzomon metro to Otemachi from Shibuya at 08:15 and the train was quite empty.

I have no idea where the other hotel is but she can figure out metro (Google maps is your friend) or take a cab from TCAT.

The first NEX to Shibuya is not until 07:44 and it's extra slow because it is a commuter train at that hour.

Originally Posted by hakzai (Post 20476844)
I need some help for NRT to Shibuya, I arrive NRT at 6:15am on CX524.
My 1st time taking such an early flight into NRT
Usually I take the Narita Express directly to Shibuya and walk over to the Shibuya Excel Hotel.

What would be the best option for such an early flight?

My friend is also arriving on the same flight but she would be staying at the Capitol Hotel Tokyu. How could she get there?

Thx in advance

joejones Mar 24, 2013 10:04 pm

Capitol Tokyu is by Nagatacho on the same metro line, so you could ride into the city together.

hakzai Mar 25, 2013 8:33 pm

thanks for the help guys.

I plan to use the arrival paid showers before leaving NRT.

land at 6:15,
get landside around 6:45.
Help my fd get on the 7am bus to Capitol Tokyu.
Head back inside the terminal and use the paid showers - 7:30 and either catch the limo bus or the 7:44 train to shibuya.

How bad would traffic be for the 7:50 bus leaving NRT?