Wiki Posts
Search

Kyoto from Tokyo - 1 day trip worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2012, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Kyoto from Tokyo - 1 day trip worth it?

I am staying in Tokyo for 6 nights at the Conrad. This is the 1st time I've been to Japan and not sure exactly what I should see. I have heard that Kyoto is very interesting.

I read that I can take the bullet train in about 3 hours. Is it worth it to do that and come back the same day? Are most of the interesting sites close together?

I will be by myself so if that makes a difference, please advise.

Appreciate any advice about Kyoto or other day trips to do from Tokyo.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 4:28 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a lot to see and do in Kyoto and that doesn't even include nearby Nara. I would recommend you consider actually spending a few nights there. Although there is no Hilton in Kyoto, as far as I know, there is one right at Osaka station which is only about a 30 minute train ride from Kyoto.

So I'd suggest you consider doing at least two nights in Kyoto or Osaka (if you want to use points).

Given your stay period, a 7 day JR pass is also worth serious consideration.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA, NW
If you're spending 7 nights in Japan and have no idea what to see, then your first step is to buy a guidebook. US$25 or so is a minimal expense in a trip that is sure to cost a couple thousand.

(I'm in a bit of a tape loop in this respect, but I'm always surprised at how many people want to go to a foreign country with no idea what's there. On another board, a questioner wanted to know what to see on the way to visiting a relative who is in the military in Okinawa. This person was asking about the "villages" of Kyoto, Yakushima, Kumamoto, and Nagasaki.)

Both Tokyo and Kyoto have entire guidebooks devoted to them from two or three publishers, and all these guidebooks contain suggestions for side trips from the core cities.

Even if you're leaving next week, you will have time to read up on your destination, and unless you live in East Asia, you'll definitely have time on the plane ride over.

If you're not near a large bookstore or aren't into paper books, then here's a list of destinations about which the Japan National Tourism Organization provides information online:

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/location/destinations/
Old Jan 26, 2012, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JackieC2
I am staying in Tokyo for 6 nights at the Conrad. This is the 1st time I've been to Japan and not sure exactly what I should see. I have heard that Kyoto is very interesting.
Kamakura is less than an hour from Shinbashi on a single train, and is essentially Kyoto-lite. You can pack a lot of culture in a single day, and save Kyoto for another time when you'll have more time to explore it.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 5:38 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
This will sound like a broken record - but I'll try to say it differently.

Is Kyoto worth a visit? Yes, absolutely. Several days.

Is it worth it to simply do a day trip to Kyoto from Tokyo? No, don't bother. There is too much to see and do to waste over 6 hours of the day on the train.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:43 pm

I agree that a trip to Kyoto needs at least two nights.

If you don't feel you have time for this, I would advise sticking to shorter day trips out of Tokyo (Hakone, Kamakura, etc...)
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:13 pm

Programs: Delta
I agree that a one-day trip isn't reasonable. However, if the OP finds something in Kyoto that sounds interesting, I think that a one-night stay in a hotel is worthwhile. Morning train down, afternoon in Kyoto, evening in Kyoto or Osaka, next day in Kyoto, evening train back to Tokyo - very doable and you could see and experience a lot, including a ride on the shinkansen.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ksandness
If you're spending 7 nights in Japan and have no idea what to see, then your first step is to buy a guidebook. US$25 or so is a minimal expense in a trip that is sure to cost a couple thousand.

(I'm in a bit of a tape loop in this respect, but I'm always surprised at how many people want to go to a foreign country with no idea what's there. On another board, a questioner wanted to know what to see on the way to visiting a relative who is in the military in Okinawa. This person was asking about the "villages" of Kyoto, Yakushima, Kumamoto, and Nagasaki.)

Both Tokyo and Kyoto have entire guidebooks devoted to them from two or three publishers, and all these guidebooks contain suggestions for side trips from the core cities.

Even if you're leaving next week, you will have time to read up on your destination, and unless you live in East Asia, you'll definitely have time on the plane ride over.

If you're not near a large bookstore or aren't into paper books, then here's a list of destinations about which the Japan National Tourism Organization provides information online:

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/location/destinations/
I do have a guidebook. That's the first thing I bought when I decided I wanted to go there. I also have searched several sites on the web for ideas. Just wanted to get ideas from experienced travelers here.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nishimark
I agree that a one-day trip isn't reasonable. However, if the OP finds something in Kyoto that sounds interesting, I think that a one-night stay in a hotel is worthwhile. Morning train down, afternoon in Kyoto, evening in Kyoto or Osaka, next day in Kyoto, evening train back to Tokyo - very doable and you could see and experience a lot, including a ride on the shinkansen.
That's a great idea. My stay at the Conrad is with points so I could spend one night on a hotel. I will be in Japan from March 28 until April 3rd. Anything besides Cherry Blossoms that should do for sure during that time?

Appreciate the help!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:36 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
You may be a little early for the cherry blossoms but other trees will be in season. I think plums are in mid- to late-March, along with others. The gardens will be nice, even with the cherry trees just starting to bud out. We will have a better idea of when the sakura will be at peak as the dates come closer. The Japan weather agency actually does blossom forecasts much like weather forecasts.

Your guidebook will probably list a one or two day suggested itinerary but I'd suggest making sure to include visits to Kinkaku-ji (the Golden Pavilion), Ryoan-ji temple (quite close to Kinkaku-ji and has a nice, flowering tree-lined walk around the lake in addition to the famous stone garden,) the Heian Jingu Shrine, Nijo Castle and the Maruyama Park area. For such a short visit, I wouldn't recommend wasting time on the Imperial Palace tour.

There are many, many places to visit so you will have to cherry pick from your guidebook. I am normally a bus/subway kind of traveler but in this case you might consider splurging on a few cabs to get around quickly and maximize your time in Kyoto. Since you will be keeping your room in Tokyo, you can just pack a light overnight kit for a single night in Kyoto. You can save some money by staying in an inexpensive "business hotel," which is a slightly misleading term for pretty nice places that just lack all the bells and whistles of more luxe hotels. Note that late March through late April is high season in Kyoto and you should make a room reservation as soon as possible. Selection is probably already limited. I'll be passing through there a week later (hoping for full blossoms) and made my reservations months ago.

Have a great visit. Kyoto is one of my favorite cities in the world.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:03 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
My first trip to Japan back in 1998 (in my early 20s) was a week in Tokyo by myself. On one of those days I did a day trip to Kyoto. Took the first bullet train in the morning and the last one back. Certainly there was more to see in Kyoto. And I would not necessarily recommend or do it now. But at the time I thought it was a great use of my time vs. what else I might see that day? I did get to walk around and see a lot of Kyoto.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 2:33 am

Programs: Flying Blue, BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by nishimark
I agree with this! My father went on a day trip to Kyoto a few years ago and was very disappointed because he did not get to see much in a day and did not have time to take it all in.

We are off to Japan next week and will be staying in Kyoto for 10 days! There is so much to see in the city, without even including day trips to Nara, Uji, Arashiyama, the Toei Kyoto Studio Park, etc !

I would suggest spending the whole stay in Tokyo, with maybe a day trip to Kamakura or Nikko, that are a lot closer.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 2:44 am

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
Is your hotel in Tokyo fixed?

Out of 7 days.
I'd do 3 days (2 nights) in Kyoto
Add a day to see Nara (night in Kyoto)
2 days in Tokyo is plenty unless u're here for business
Spend a day near Fuji

done.. if u have more days hit up Osaka, Hiroshima, etc
Old Jan 27, 2012, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by vmsea
Is your hotel in Tokyo fixed?

Out of 7 days.
I'd do 3 days (2 nights) in Kyoto
Add a day to see Nara (night in Kyoto)
2 days in Tokyo is plenty unless u're here for business
Spend a day near Fuji

done.. if u have more days hit up Osaka, Hiroshima, etc
I disagree- two days is much too short for Tokyo. Spending a day 'near Fuji' would not be good use of limited time.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 4:20 am

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I disagree- two days is much too short for Tokyo. Spending a day 'near Fuji' would not be good use of limited time.
Really? I really enjoyed my day in Hakkone, on route to Kyoto.. remember 3hrs of the day is train.. the rest is in small towns which is a nice change of pace from Tokyo/Kyoto etc..

Also out of 7, more than 2 days in Tokyo is not necessary. I've spent many days in Tokyo. You can definitely do a lot there - culture, party, food, history.
but if you are talking about 7 total days, 6 in Tokyo and 1 in Kyoto dosen't make sense.. tourist sites - there are just more in Kyoto

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.