Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Any recomendations for an outdoor onsen in Hakone?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, PC PLT, SPG GLD

I have been looking for an outdoor onsen in Hakone, but with so many options it's really overwhelming and I would only be spending one day, so would not be able to try as many as I would like.

I have seen some that are outdoors, but with fences around, so no much of a view.

Any tips based on your experiences?

It could be in a ryokan, but not necessarily, as we will be staying in one when we get to Kyoto.

Many thanks.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by monnyc
I have been looking for an outdoor onsen in Hakone, but with so many options it's really overwhelming and I would only be spending one day, so would not be able to try as many as I would like.

I have seen some that are outdoors, but with fences around, so no much of a view.

Any tips based on your experiences?

It could be in a ryokan, but not necessarily, as we will be staying in one when we get to Kyoto.

Many thanks.
I don't think that there's one definitive answer to this question, but my personal favorite is the onsen at The Prince Hakone, which has a beautiful view of Lake Ashi, the background mountains, and, on a clear day, Mt. Fuji.

Can't find any great pictures of it (cameras aren't allowed, as there's nekkid people there), but something like this:

Old Mar 13, 2012, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Japanese readers - help needed

hailstorm - This looks nice, but did not have availability for our dates. Thank you for the pics though.

I searched Senkyoro but did not come up with any recent reviews, at least in English. Only found a comment on an old tripadvisor forum (2007) that it had positive reviews on Japanese travel sites, another comment said it didn't have so great reviews, but also in Japanese.

Would anyone that can read Japanese please assist in finding any recent reviews about this property? I was particularly interested as they seem to offer ceramic art classes for guests as well.

http://www.senkyoro.com/index.html
Old Mar 13, 2012, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by monnyc
hailstorm - This looks nice, but did not have availability for our dates. Thank you for the pics though.
What dates are you looking for?

http://www.ikyu.com/dg/guide/acc4/00...00000674a.aspx

According to the Ikyu site, the only days that aren't available over the next three months are March 16th, April 10th, and May 17th.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for checking, hailstorm. Yes, April 10 was one of the dates. Although Senkyor's milky water looked great to me, my travel companions were a bit concerned about the smell of the sulfate springs. So we decided to go for the Hyatt Hakone. I still would like to go to a rotenburo, so now I am trying to find one we can visit.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If all else fails, you could still go to the onsen at The Prince Hakone as a day visitor, though it is a bit expensive (1500 yen per person)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.