Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Japan - Prepaid Data SIM Wikia

1) get a SIM before the trip, activate it when you land. you can find japan-specific prepaid SIMs on ebay/amazon/... .Some countries have providers that offer good roaming rates in other countries(eg Starhub in Singapore, Ais Sim2Fly available globally)
2) preorder it, delivered to your hotel
3) preorder it to airport post office, can pick up when you land
4) preorder it, pickup at some airport counter/store
5) at airport/city, find an store/kiosk/vending machine and buy from them
6) Use an app such as Iijmio, Airalo or Ubigi to buy an e-SIM if your phone supports it

If you are arriving at Haneda international terminal without a SIM: Exit customs, turn right, and continue to the BIC camera store on the left side. Ignore any other places and vending machines that will sell you a SIM. BIC has a good selection at regular camera store prices.
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by paperwastage
EDIT: wonder if you can have a 15GB/1yr package AND a 4GB/8days asia/australia package active at same time (and data used within asia/australia gets deducted on the 4GB side first).

any guinea pigs? otherwise, might make sense to juggle two sims if you travel a lot within asia and outside asia
Given how crappy their IT is, I wouldn't want to experiment with the idea of having 2 packages concurrently, even if it is possible, which I highly doubt.
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
SIM2Fly now supports eSIM but you have to register in person, or buy from 3rd party sellers like thaiprepaidcard for 499 baht - similar to ordering physical card from amazon Japan. SIM card original retail 399.

eSIM SIM2Fly
bocastephen and freecia like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:58 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
I was doubtful this thing would work, but I bought a 4GB card from random Amazon reseller before my recent Japan trip.

it worked as soon as Intouched down! Couldn’t believe it. Unfortunately it stopped working for two hours the next day when I flew to Osaka but magically started working again.. only cost me $10 on my VZW travel pass

all in in all my speed was faster than travel pass and my buddy’s ATT roaming. Will definitely by again if going to a more expensive internet country (not Vietnam/Malaysia/etc...) or if I’m just lazy.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Roaming deal with a data-only SIM from Singapore

I stopped over Singapore before my Japan trip and this data-sim offer from Singaporean carrier StarHub seems to be good compared to what's in offer for Japanese local data-sim and MiFi rental offers:

http://www.starhub.com/personal/mobi...ernet-sim.html

For $32, you get a data-only dim with
  • 2GB daily 4G Data
  • Valid for 15 days
Data Roam fee-free to several countries, including Japan :
Australia, Canada, China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Macau, Malaysia, Myanmar, New Zealand, Philippines, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States of America

Once the 15 initial days run out, top-ops are possible online (via Starhub app) by credit card, such as:2GB / day x 7 days for $25 SGD
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
I stopped over Singapore before my Japan trip and this data-sim offer from Singaporean carrier StarHub seems to be good compared to what's in offer for Japanese local data-sim and MiFi rental offers:

Prepaid Internet SIM StarHub Mobile

For $32, you get a data-only dim with
  • 2GB daily 4G Data
  • Valid for 15 days
Data Roam fee-free to several countries, including Japan :
Australia, Canada, China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Macau, Malaysia, Myanmar, New Zealand, Philippines, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States of America

Once the 15 initial days run out, top-ops are possible online (via Starhub app) by credit card, such as:2GB / day x 7 days for $25 SGD
15 continuous days?? i guess not, but its bad to assume.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by kaka

15 continuous days?? i guess not, but its bad to assume.
Yes 2GB a day for 15 continuous days.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:55 pm

I dialed in for the Asia Sim2Fly 8 day package for 299. I got the first text back from them but I don't have internet access. Data roaming is on and data enabled. I am connected to Softbank AIS but there is no internet connecting.

I have all five bars service with an R.

The AIS app shows 299 package paid for but not activated.

Any advice on how to connect?

I've used this SIM card before but in my previous phone. This is the first time with new phone Samsung S9

I just checked status with *111*6# and it shows :

You have unused Non-Stop DataRoam SIM2Fly On Top 4GB 8Days on-top package. This package will be automatically activated when you use internet abroad. The unused package will be expired by 60 days after package subscription.

UPDATE : just had to enter the APN settings manually. Haven't needed to do this before but it's my first time with this new phone.

Last edited by onebagtraveller; Mar 31, 2019 at 2:15 am
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by jamar
Looks like 3HK is selling a roaming eSIM online for HK$138, includes 10 days unlimited data in select Asian (includes Japan) and European countries as well as US and Canada, and it does not have to be consecutive as long as it's used within 90 days of activation. There's also the ability to top up and buy another day for HK$15 each or 10 for HK$138 after the initial 10 days are used up, which is nice.
Have you tried the 3HK roaming eSIM? A reviewer on YT mentioned some rather slow speeds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rv5IlhyD-w
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by freecia
Have you tried the 3HK roaming eSIM? A reviewer on YT mentioned some rather slow speeds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rv5IlhyD-w
I tried it at the end of last year, and in Tokyo at least, I was usually seeing speeds of 5-7Mbps except during Comiket at and around Tokyo Big Sight. That and New Year's Eve at Sensoji were the only times I got speeds slower than 1Mbps.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:17 am

Programs: Delta Gold 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium
The Japan Welcome SIM (from Docomo) will be discontinued

This service ends on September 30, 2019 (JST). Consequently, new applications and the extended validity period promotion will be closed on June 13, 2019 (JST).

My reaction is NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Daytona
The Japan Welcome SIM (from Docomo) will be discontinued

This service ends on September 30, 2019 (JST). Consequently, new applications and the extended validity period promotion will be closed on June 13, 2019 (JST).

My reaction is NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Same! I hope they will offer something new, maybe with an eSIM. I'm willing to pay for it except didn't pay much due to watching ads for free data. First party Docomo coverage is helpful when I travel to the inaka.

Last edited by freecia; Apr 15, 2019 at 1:04 pm
Old May 13, 2019, 10:29 am
siw

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
My GF and I will be flying into KIX and taking the train straight to Kyoto, in a few weeks, for a holiday in Kyoto and Tokyo for one week. Is it possible to buy 1 SIM card in the KIX arrivials hall? We just want data to message home, use maps, train websites and other touristy stuff.

What/where is recommended to buy? We don't need some expensive, huge data allowance, phone calls etc.

Thanks
Old May 13, 2019, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by siw
My GF and I will be flying into KIX and taking the train straight to Kyoto, in a few weeks, for a holiday in Kyoto and Tokyo for one week. Is it possible to buy 1 SIM card in the KIX arrivials hall? We just want data to message home, use maps, train websites and other touristy stuff.

What/where is recommended to buy? We don't need some expensive, huge data allowance, phone calls etc.

Thanks
Theres a couple of ways to get a sim/mifi

1) get it before the trip (I got my AIS sim2fly on Amazon), activate it when you land
2) preorder it, delivered to your hotel
3) preorder it to airport post office, can pick up when you land (I did Bmobile sim this way)
4) preorder it , pickup at some airport counter/store
5) find an airport store/kiosk/vending machine, buy from them

I'm a fan of AIS sim2fly, because it can be reloaded/reused across multiple countries, pretty cheap and calls work too

I believe wamazing still offers free sim card with 500mb, pickup at a kix kiosk. Topup is more expensive

Last edited by paperwastage; May 13, 2019 at 1:40 pm
Old May 13, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
my experience has been that the prices at yodobashi are better than the prices at the airport. If you can wait until you get to kyoto, there's a yodobashi right by the train station.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:08 pm

The AIS sim is Data only ,
And it works in the USA too on TMobile if you get the right plan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.