Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Japan - Prepaid Data SIM Wikia

1) get a SIM before the trip, activate it when you land. you can find japan-specific prepaid SIMs on ebay/amazon/... .Some countries have providers that offer good roaming rates in other countries(eg Starhub in Singapore, Ais Sim2Fly available globally)
2) preorder it, delivered to your hotel
3) preorder it to airport post office, can pick up when you land
4) preorder it, pickup at some airport counter/store
5) at airport/city, find an store/kiosk/vending machine and buy from them
6) Use an app such as Iijmio, Airalo or Ubigi to buy an e-SIM if your phone supports it

If you are arriving at Haneda international terminal without a SIM: Exit customs, turn right, and continue to the BIC camera store on the left side. Ignore any other places and vending machines that will sell you a SIM. BIC has a good selection at regular camera store prices.
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
Yeah, I was getting it confused with a similar card called the AIS GAC cafe also from Amazon. Similar price and from one review, it seems to be a repackaged AIS card sold by Global Access Communications
Amazon Amazon

Those can’t be reloaded but they sell a 2 pack for $33. I wonder if anyone has any experience with this seller. Reviews are good, but with so many fake reviews out there, it doesn’t mean much.

Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Sorry another newbie question about the AIS card. I will be away for 10 days, so I need to top up during the trip, so I want to make sure my workflow is correct:

1. buy the card online through Amazon
2. upon arrival in the first Asia country, put in SIM, and I should be good to go
3. at some point during the trip, prior to the 8th day, top up with THB299 to add another 8 days and 4GB - the question is can I use a US credit card to do this, or how do I use Line Pay for topping up in THB? I've never used Line Pay online before, and how does it do the conversion to THB?
4. upon arrival back at home make a note to add THB50 every month via Line Pay until the SIM expires in 12 months
angra likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: hhonors gold, priority club plat
Any band more prevalent or dominant than the other? Decided on sim card (AIS) for the first time and nervous bringing an older s6 (US). Per wiki and phone specs, it should get 3g/4g coverage: 900, 2100, 700, 1800, 2100, 3.Am I good to go?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Sorry another newbie question about the AIS card. I will be away for 10 days, so I need to top up during the trip, so I want to make sure my workflow is correct:

1. buy the card online through Amazon
2. upon arrival in the first Asia country, put in SIM, and I should be good to go
3. at some point during the trip, prior to the 8th day, top up with THB299 to add another 8 days and 4GB - the question is can I use a US credit card to do this, or how do I use Line Pay for topping up in THB? I've never used Line Pay online before, and how does it do the conversion to THB?
4. upon arrival back at home make a note to add THB50 every month via Line Pay until the SIM expires in 12 months
2. You can even activate the data plan before you board your flight, if you want. It supports roaming in many countries.
3. I believe you top up after the 8 days are up? You have to sign up an LINE account first.Also you have to install the AIS app. I use my Canadian credit card on LINE pay. From inside the AIS app, you see your account balance, click on it to get to Top Up, and then you will be presented with several payment options. You pick "Rabbit LINE pay". Select an amount to top up. No all amount options are displayed on the initial screen. It will then invoke LINE, and LINE Pay. Your credit card added to LINE Pay (similar to PayPal) will be charged X Baht, X = top up amount you selected.
4. I top up 5 Baht (0.15 USD) to extend 1 month. I can repeat it 12 (or 11) times the same day and extend it for a year.
bocastephen, freecia and wysiwyg like this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by sfsportsguy
Any band more prevalent or dominant than the other? Decided on sim card (AIS) for the first time and nervous bringing an older s6 (US). Per wiki and phone specs, it should get 3g/4g coverage: 900, 2100, 700, 1800, 2100, 3.Am I good to go?
Speeds in Japan are quite limited especially during the day. 3G UMTS 2100 Mhz is all you need. You'll get LTE speeds only in the middle of the night. iPhone 6 is fine.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: hhonors gold, priority club plat
Originally Posted by beep88
3G UMTS 2100 Mhz is all you need.
Thanks beep88, meant galaxy s6 actually haha. Glad such a common band is enough. Mainly using sim/phone for directions.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:15 am

I've been looking into the AIS Sim2Fly for my upcoming trip as well and had one lingering question. On the AIS "roaming partners" site (I can't link it at the moment, but if you google AIS roaming partners it is one of the first that shows up) it shows both NTT Docomo and Softbank for Japan, but I'm not sure if this applies to this specific SIM. One of the Amazon reviews on the GAC-sold version of Sim2Fly does mention that their phone swapped between the 2 depending on coverage, though. Can anyone who has used it here confirm this? My trip involves travel to some fairly remote areas of Japan that are supposedly not covered by Softbank according to coverage maps/locals and I wanted to make sure that I would still be able to reach Docomo's network with this SIM. I know the Truemove H SIM uses Docomo, but that seemingly stopped being sold on Amazon within the last couple weeks. If Sim2Fly does not have any access to Docomo, does anyone know what my next best option is? Ninja SIM has been recommended by many of my friends, but it's double the cost of the AIS one.

Edited to add: I'm also stopping over in Shanghai on the way back so the SIMs that cover multiple countries were the most appealing to me for the bonus of having coverage during that time as well, but it's not 100% necessary.

Last edited by onoade; Sep 25, 2018 at 7:23 am Reason: additional information
Old Sep 25, 2018, 5:25 pm

@onoade - Welcome to flyertalk! If you don't need a lot of data, Docomo (not MVNO) has a prepaid data sim for visitors https://docomo.prepaid-sim.jp/lp/index.html It is valid for 15 days. You do need to pre-order & pickup at designated locations.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:41 pm

Thanks! Glad to be here. So much great advice.

I think I do need a lot of data, unfortunately, and I'm looking to have fairly decent speeds as well (that's why I was considering the Ninja SIM as I heard they were an MVNO with good speeds.) We'll be renting a car in both Kyushu and Yakushima and using google maps/websites to look up restaurants a lot on the fly which will eat through data I imagine.

I'd looked into the docomo welcome SIM, but worried less than 2GB won't be enough and would prefer not to be constantly worried about how much data I have left. On most trips I take I seem to average ~1 GB per week. I think 3-4 GB would likely be enough for the 2 weeks given the additional need for data in our car?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Originally Posted by onoade
Thanks! Glad to be here. So much great advice.

I think I do need a lot of data, unfortunately, and I'm looking to have fairly decent speeds as well (that's why I was considering the Ninja SIM as I heard they were an MVNO with good speeds.) We'll be renting a car in both Kyushu and Yakushima and using google maps/websites to look up restaurants a lot on the fly which will eat through data I imagine.

I'd looked into the docomo welcome SIM, but worried less than 2GB won't be enough and would prefer not to be constantly worried about how much data I have left. On most trips I take I seem to average ~1 GB per week. I think 3-4 GB would likely be enough for the 2 weeks given the additional need for data in our car?
2GB should be just enough for looking up maps and such. We regularly do road trips around the world, and based on this usage pattern, we can get by on about 100-200MB a day. 3-4GB would be more comfortable, especially if you update Facebook/Instagram, which are huge data sappers.

Be aware that significant parts of Yakushima does not have mobile coverage, particularly on the Western side of the island. But you should be okay, as essentially there's just that one major road that runs all the way around the coast. You'll have coverage at the junctions to the two main roads that branch off into the interior of the island to the Shiratani Unsui Gorge and Yasugi Land.

Kyushu is amazing for a road trip. I trust you'd have lots of fun.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by cowie
2GB should be just enough for looking up maps and such. We regularly do road trips around the world, and based on this usage pattern, we can get by on about 100-200MB a day. 3-4GB would be more comfortable, especially if you update Facebook/Instagram, which are huge data sappers.

Be aware that significant parts of Yakushima does not have mobile coverage, particularly on the Western side of the island. But you should be okay, as essentially there's just that one major road that runs all the way around the coast. You'll have coverage at the junctions to the two main roads that branch off into the interior of the island to the Shiratani Unsui Gorge and Yasugi Land.

Kyushu is amazing for a road trip. I trust you'd have lots of fun.
Thanks! I'm quite excited for the trip.

Do you (or anyone else) know if there is a way to top up the Welcome to Japan SIM from docomo? It seems I can at least get 1.5 GB by using a coupon code and picking the "L" plan... if I were to be able to buy another 1.2 GB I'd feel pretty good about it. Though at around $40 I could still just do the Ninja SIM with 3GB...

Unfortunately I do tend to be an instagram/facebook user on vacations, and I imagine when it's not my turn to drive - or while I'm on the train to Kyushu - I may sneak a few (or several) minutes here and there.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
what about This one from bmobile. 5GB over 21 days for 3480Y?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:11 am

There's also IIJMio's visitor sim on docomo 3GB for $30. I haven't used this recently so can't speak to the speed.

If you do wind up without cell coverage, check the tourist guide map books provided by the rental car office. They showcase common destinations like scenic destinations, major hotels, and highway rest stops with "map code" number string. Just punch it into the "MAPCODE" section in the car's navigation unit. The other common GPS reference is phone number. Japanese rental car gps is pretty decent in my experience.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Originally Posted by angra
what about This one from bmobile. 5GB over 21 days for 3480Y?
Good value for money.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by angra
what about This one from b-mobile. 5GB over 21 days for 3480Y?
That was the first one I looked into and nearly ordered! As with most MVNOs, though, I eventually read that their speeds were unreliable. I'm not super opposed to it and may pick one up at BIC Camera if all else fails, the data allowance is great, but it was reviews on that very SIM's speed that ultimately led me down the research rabbit hole until I found this thread and with it the AIS Sim2Fly!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.