Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Japan - Prepaid Data SIM Wikia

1) get a SIM before the trip, activate it when you land. you can find japan-specific prepaid SIMs on ebay/amazon/... .Some countries have providers that offer good roaming rates in other countries(eg Starhub in Singapore, Ais Sim2Fly available globally)
2) preorder it, delivered to your hotel
3) preorder it to airport post office, can pick up when you land
4) preorder it, pickup at some airport counter/store
5) at airport/city, find an store/kiosk/vending machine and buy from them
6) Use an app such as Iijmio, Airalo or Ubigi to buy an e-SIM if your phone supports it

If you are arriving at Haneda international terminal without a SIM: Exit customs, turn right, and continue to the BIC camera store on the left side. Ignore any other places and vending machines that will sell you a SIM. BIC has a good selection at regular camera store prices.
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2016, 5:53 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I've used the Umobile on my last 2 trips and been completely satisfied. I've gone fairly widely between Kyoto and Sapporo on those 2 trips with no coverage problems and fine data rates everywhere.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by angra
I've used the Umobile on my last 2 trips and been completely satisfied. I've gone fairly widely between Kyoto and Sapporo on those 2 trips with no coverage problems and fine data rates everywhere.
Which SIM, sourced from where? price for how much data? Thanks
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:08 pm

The 15 day one listed Here

I bought them at Yodobashi, but I am pretty sure they can be obtained at the airports in Tokyo.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by angra
The 15 day one listed Here

I bought them at Yodobashi, but I am pretty sure they can be obtained at the airports in Tokyo.
Thanks for the info. What type of phone were you using? North American phones don't generally support all the frequencies of Japanese phones...see here for an example...iPhone 7 Model A1779 is ONLY listed for Japan:
http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

That usually just means you lose coverage in areas where your non-Japanese model doesn't support those bands/frequencies unique to Japan but I am unsure how common or uncommon those Japan-unique-only areas tend to be...

Any experience from others using non-Japanese handsets all over Japan on various networks using American/European smartphone models?
Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:46 pm

Band 1 is more than ubiquitous enough for anywhere a tourist will go.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 2:16 am

I used U-Mobile on my trip this summer, bought through a HK travel agent (it was a lot cheaper than the 2800 Yen U-Mobile advertises).
The coverage was fantastic in all the cities I visited and on the Shinkansen lines.

The 200mb limit is very strict though. It's more than enough for a bit of general browsing, google maps and messaging services; but if you use video, the allowance will soon be used up. After you've used 200mb you still have internet, but it's super slow.

Overall, one of the better overseas data sims I've used.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by TravelDream
I used U-Mobile on my trip this summer, bought through a HK travel agent (it was a lot cheaper than the 2800 Yen U-Mobile advertises).
The coverage was fantastic in all the cities I visited and on the Shinkansen lines.

The 200mb limit is very strict though. It's more than enough for a bit of general browsing, google maps and messaging services; but if you use video, the allowance will soon be used up. After you've used 200mb you still have internet, but it's super slow.

Overall, one of the better overseas data sims I've used.
purchased in HK or online from a HK travel agent and had it shipped to your home? What type of smartphone were you using with good success in Japan with this SIM?
Old Oct 19, 2016, 3:58 am

I collected it from HK airport. I don't think they post them.

I have an iPhone 6S, but I'm sure the network works fine with all phones.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by luv2fly4free
Thanks for the info. What type of phone were you using? North American phones don't generally support all the frequencies of Japanese phones...see here for an example...iPhone 7 Model A1779 is ONLY listed for Japan:

I was using an american Samsung Galaxy S4 active.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
I will be making a trip multiple Asian countries next spring and looking for a prepaid SIM card that will work across all of them. I will start with Japan, then South Korea, Macau and then Hong Kong.

Any suggestions for a card that will work in all places? I prefer a card I can get shipped prior to my trip, either to my home or to my first hotel in Tokyo. It can be data only since I rely on VoIP for calls.

Last time I used Bmobile and served me well. But I don't think they offer cheap roaming across Asia. I think some Hong Kong companies offer this? Suggestions?
Old Oct 23, 2016, 6:24 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by wysiwyg
I will be making a trip multiple Asian countries next spring and looking for a prepaid SIM card that will work across all of them. I will start with Japan, then South Korea, Macau and then Hong Kong.

Any suggestions for a card that will work in all places? I prefer a card I can get shipped prior to my trip, either to my home or to my first hotel in Tokyo. It can be data only since I rely on VoIP for calls.

Last time I used Bmobile and served me well. But I don't think they offer cheap roaming across Asia. I think some Hong Kong companies offer this? Suggestions?
I think the closest you can get is one SIM for Japan + South Korea and one for Macau + HK if you can get someone to post you a 3HK Asia Roaming SIM and China Unicom Macau+HK SIM.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:38 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
I purchased the U-mobile 7-day SIM that is only available via Yodobashi Camera outlets for 1,280 JPY for a family member visiting Japan for a week. It provides 200 MB of usage/day at LTE speeds, then drops to 200 Kbps after that. For the price, it provided exactly what he needed (access to the web, Google Maps, FB/Instagram, iMessage, etc.) for an excellent price. The only downside was that only the microSIM format was available; the nanoSIM format was sold out everywhere according to the store clerk.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 1:58 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by luv2fly4free
http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/
Used North American iPhones 3GS, 4, 5, 6, 7, LG Android and SonyEricsson dumb phone. All worked fine with 3G 2100. Newer iPhones all support Japanese LTE, not that it's a huge difference given relatively little data you get with the prepaid cards.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 2:04 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Wink

Originally Posted by wysiwyg

Get a global roaming card. http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/international.php

None of the visitor prepaid cards in Japan offers roaming. In store, there are global roaming cards, with Japanese manuals, etc.

All the major HK providers (not MVNO) have roaming prepaid cards. You'll have to order from eBay I suppose, and subject to the usual eBay scams.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by freecia
Au KDDI is a direct partner. It isn't the GigSky rates you mentioned which seem to offer poor value compared to a local sim, indeed.

The Au KDDI rate is 1,500 yen per 1GB (valid for 31 days)
http://www.au.kddi.com/english/mobil.../data-prepaid/
Do you need to visit the shop to set this up? I can buy an Apple SIM before I leave for Japan (I assume it will work in any device or phone, not just Apple devices, correct?) so I would already have the SIM card, but is there a way to setup the prepaid data plan in advance, or I need to go to a AU shop?

I tried visiting the AU website to preregister, but the site is in Japanese and trying to scan the QR code didn't seem to work. Y1,500 is half the price of any other SIM card from the airport, but not sure if it's worth a big hassle to activate the service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.