Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Japan - Prepaid Data SIM Wikia

1) get a SIM before the trip, activate it when you land. you can find japan-specific prepaid SIMs on ebay/amazon/... .Some countries have providers that offer good roaming rates in other countries(eg Starhub in Singapore, Ais Sim2Fly available globally)
2) preorder it, delivered to your hotel
3) preorder it to airport post office, can pick up when you land
4) preorder it, pickup at some airport counter/store
5) at airport/city, find an store/kiosk/vending machine and buy from them
6) Use an app such as Iijmio, Airalo or Ubigi to buy an e-SIM if your phone supports it

If you are arriving at Haneda international terminal without a SIM: Exit customs, turn right, and continue to the BIC camera store on the left side. Ignore any other places and vending machines that will sell you a SIM. BIC has a good selection at regular camera store prices.
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2013, 7:28 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beep88
>> This is a known issue with most Android devices - they show no signal but if you have configured the APN settings correctly they will still get a data connection.

Same for my various iPhone's and Sony Ericsson dumb phone but they all worked fine with the B Mobile. Who cares what the signal meter says. However the phones did show the carrier name "DoCoMo". That's the proof that a connection has been made.
No I don't get that, it shows no service and no operator, but I will try it later again and see if I get data regardless. When I ask it to search for operators sometimes it sees DoCOMo and KDDI, but not always.

Edited to add: I tried it, it didn't work. I have emailed their helpline (which I forgot to call this morning, it's only open from 7-11am) asking if they have any suggestions. Guess I won't hear back until tomorrow.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Mar 18, 2013 at 1:44 am
Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:37 pm

Here is their totally canned reply. I gave them a LOT of information in my email, if anyone who looked at it cared or was knowledgable about anything technical, they could have done a lot better. I would say that if you have an Android phone the odds are reasonably high that you will have wasted Y3,900 since if it doesn't work, you will get no help. Also their list of approved devices is quite short and very dated.

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for contacting the b-mobile Helpdesk.
Answers to your questions are provided below.

If your device is not on following list,
we are afraid we cannot guarantee the device would work with our SIM card.
<<Supported device list>>
http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/visitor_devices.html

As the setting side, please try followings;
-remove from the device and wipe your SIM card with dry cloth
-Reboot
-Reset settings

if you are using SIM free iPhone and cannot receive internet,
your device may not be registering the new settings correctly.
Please reset your network settings and enter the above information again.
To reset your network settings: tap Settings → General → Reset → Reset Network Settings.

If you have any further questions, please do not
hesitate to contact us here at the b-mobile Helpdesk.
Thank you for your continued support of b-mobile.
Let's all wipe off our SIMs with a dry cloth!

Last edited by RichardInSF; Mar 19, 2013 at 12:11 am
Old Mar 27, 2013, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Here is their totally canned reply. I gave them a LOT of information in my email, if anyone who looked at it cared or was knowledgable about anything technical, they could have done a lot better. I would say that if you have an Android phone the odds are reasonably high that you will have wasted Y3,900 since if it doesn't work, you will get no help. Also their list of approved devices is quite short and very dated.

Let's all wipe off our SIMs with a dry cloth!
Were you able to get it working at all? I'm in exactly the same situation.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 7:19 am

I ordered three SIMs from these guys. To get them to work I had to create a custom APN. I'm using a Nexus 4.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 7:12 pm

Docomo seems to use 800MHz and 1700MHz.

Had a similar problem when I bought the "old iteration" of the bMobile last year as it didn't work with my unlocked HTC Desire. Realized that the Desire didn't operate on Docomo's bands. Had to unlock my Samsung S2x, which I fortunately also brought with me, that is a pentaband phone

Bought the "new iteration" of bMobile's sim this year, plopped it in, and it worked asap as I still had the APN settings from last year.

One of the things that needs to be checked when travelling is the frequencies of the carrier you'll be using vs the frequencies your phone operates on.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Were you able to get it working at all? I'm in exactly the same situation.
Nope, despite both me and a Japanese friend talking to customer service. Never again.

As I am in the telecom industry, I asked around a bit and it appears that the owner of bMobile apparently is good friends with the minister of telecommunications. So don't expect them to worry much about you!
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Nope, despite both me and a Japanese friend talking to customer service. Never again.

As I am in the telecom industry, I asked around a bit and it appears that the owner of bMobile apparently is good friends with the minister of telecommunications. So don't expect them to worry much about you!
I was able to use it in my MIFI device and connect my android phone via WIFI.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
I was able to use it in my MIFI device and connect my android phone via WIFI.
You're evidently OK if your phone is on the list or get lucky. If your phone isn't on the list and doesn't happen to work, you're out the total amount.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by Jay71
Docomo seems to use 800MHz and 1700MHz.
I'm pretty sure docomo is on 2100Mhz as well. My 3G stick is only 850,1900 and 2100 (Sierra Wireless usb308 hspa+) and it has been working with a b-mobile supplied SIM (the 1Gb plan) on docomo's network. Last used it last week.

Speeds were not fantastic - about 1 Mbps down - probably because I could not get a good signal strength - around -87dBm
Old Apr 5, 2013, 1:24 pm

I stand corrected: 800 and 2100. I've just read this previously quoted page more closely:
http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/visitor_devices.html
Old Apr 14, 2013, 10:32 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
So, I've read through these 5 pages, which mostly speak to the b-mobile visitor SIM.... What about the rental program from Softbank?

http://www.softbank-rental.jp/e/rental-plan-ib03.php

This seemed like the simpler way to go. I'll be in Tokyo for 5 days at the end of April, and I ordered a SIM through softbank for my iPhone 4S, and it seemed very simple, with pickup at the softbank store at Narita T1.

Is there any reason I should consider going the b-mobile route instead?
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:39 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by bkafrick
Is there any reason I should consider going the b-mobile route instead?
The Softbank rental costs $16 a day plus a $3 admin fee for the contract, so it becomes very expensive if you use it for more than a few days. Also no tethering allowed, whereas using a b-mobile MiFi would let you share the connection with your PC and other devices.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I rented at Narita from JAL ABC

http://www.jalabc.com/english/index4.html

1290 Y/day (+210Y/day for insurance, not obligatory) for unlimited data usage. Speeds are quite good, I got up to ca 12 Mbs downstream - depending on signal strength of course. Used it from south of Osaka to north of Sendai, without issues. Got signal everywhere, even on Tokyo metro only in some railway tunnels was the signal dropped. In a few rural areas it dropped to 3G for a while.

The unit is a standard looking Huawei LTE unit - only issue is that battery is rather short lived. After 10-11 hrs it's completetly depleted. Charger is included in the package. It has a standard micro USB port, so if you can also charge it from most (any?) "juice packs"

iPhone 3GS and MacbookAir connects with no issues whatsoever.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 7:32 am

Coverage on the Tokyo Metro is fairly new and there is still some trouble, but it's much better than it used to be, when there was no coverage!
Old Jun 6, 2013, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Is there a place to buy an EConnect or B-Mobile SIM at NRT? Or in Narita at the mall?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.