Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Japan - Prepaid Data SIM Wikia

1) get a SIM before the trip, activate it when you land. you can find japan-specific prepaid SIMs on ebay/amazon/... .Some countries have providers that offer good roaming rates in other countries(eg Starhub in Singapore, Ais Sim2Fly available globally)
2) preorder it, delivered to your hotel
3) preorder it to airport post office, can pick up when you land
4) preorder it, pickup at some airport counter/store
5) at airport/city, find an store/kiosk/vending machine and buy from them
6) Use an app such as Iijmio, Airalo or Ubigi to buy an e-SIM if your phone supports it

If you are arriving at Haneda international terminal without a SIM: Exit customs, turn right, and continue to the BIC camera store on the left side. Ignore any other places and vending machines that will sell you a SIM. BIC has a good selection at regular camera store prices.
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2015, 7:31 pm

Programs: SWA
Traveling to Asia later this spring. I just received my so-net SIM (2GB/30 Day).

Purchased on Amazon Japan for „2200 during a lightning sale. Used Tenso.com to ship to the US „750.

17 days to my door.

Thanks for the info in this thread!!!
Old Feb 18, 2015, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
In case the question has not been answered. Data only SIM cards do not require any verification of the purchaser or activation from a registered phone.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Been to Japan several times and have never bought a sim (never actually used one overseas to be exact). I've got a Verizon LG G2 and looking at buying one for my upcoming 3 day trip just for directional/data purposes. What do you all suggest for that case? And does the phone need to be unlocked/rooted for the services to work?
Old Feb 22, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
Been to Japan several times and have never bought a sim (never actually used one overseas to be exact). I've got a Verizon LG G2 and looking at buying one for my upcoming 3 day trip just for directional/data purposes. What do you all suggest for that case? And does the phone need to be unlocked/rooted for the services to work?
It looks like your phone should already be unlocked, and it supports 3G on band 1 (but not LTE), so it should support most DOCOMO/Softbank SIMs. Do you want to have the SIM shipped to you before leaving, or are you OK having it delivered to your hotel?
Old Feb 22, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by linglingfool
It looks like your phone should already be unlocked, and it supports 3G on band 1 (but not LTE), so it should support most DOCOMO/Softbank SIMs. Do you want to have the SIM shipped to you before leaving, or are you OK having it delivered to your hotel?
Probably best if I can get it in the airport since I fly standby (hence my arrival time is never guaranteed). If not I guess I could always do the hotel dropoff as long as it's timed correctly. I'm arriving in Osaka around 7PM and then spending the next two days in Hiroshima and Kyoto so time at the hotel will be limited.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
Probably best if I can get it in the airport since I fly standby (hence my arrival time is never guaranteed). If not I guess I could always do the hotel dropoff as long as it's timed correctly. I'm arriving in Osaka around 7PM and then spending the next two days in Hiroshima and Kyoto so time at the hotel will be limited.
There are cheaper options, but this one is easy if you want to pick it up at KIX from a vending machine:

http://www.so-net.ne.jp/prepaid/en/index.html

The 1GB version should be good for a couple days.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 1:18 pm

There are cheaper options, but this one is easy if you want to pick it up at KIX from a vending machine:

http://www.so-net.ne.jp/prepaid/en/index.html

The 1GB version should be good for a couple days.
The So-Net SIMs seem require you to return the SIM card or pay 3000 JPY. Are there any pre-paid data vendors that let you keep the SIM card?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by MattEvan
The So-Net SIMs seem require you to return the SIM card or pay 3000 JPY. Are there any pre-paid data vendors that let you keep the SIM card?
The language seems to be present in a lot of Japanese SIMs, but it goes unenforced from my understanding. (How would they collect the fee from you, anyway?)
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:26 pm

The language seems to be present in a lot of Japanese SIMs, but it goes unenforced from my understanding. (How would they collect the fee from you, anyway?)
That makes sense, thanks.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:33 am

Programs: HHD
lumia 820

Will the data sim work with a windows 8 phone?
Asked the vendor and they answered it was not supported, but that is often not the same as will not work.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: SAS Diamond (*G), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Is there also a so-net vending machine at NRT? I arrive at 9pm when the shop closes.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: Dirt
Originally Posted by vd0t
Is there also a so-net vending machine at NRT? I arrive at 9pm when the shop closes.
SO-Net says only KIX, OKA and SDJ have vending machines.

The site says Book Off in Shinjuku sells it and is open until 23:00. I think most large electronics stores should carry it even when they are not listed.

Another option is to buy it on Amazon and ship to the 24 hr Lawson in Terminal 1 on the 5th floor.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by msb0b
SO-Net says only KIX, OKA and SDJ have vending machines.

The site says Book Off in Shinjuku sells it and is open until 23:00. I think most large electronics stores should carry it even when they are not listed.

Another option is to buy it on Amazon and ship to the 24 hr Lawson in Terminal 1 on the 5th floor.
Thanks for the tip. I'll try to hunt one down on my first day!
Old Mar 16, 2015, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
So-net site indicates there are shops at NRT T1 and T2 that sell the product:

http://www.so-net.ne.jp/prepaid/en/buy/#air03

T1:
Code:
    (B1 Narita International Airport Terminal 1)
Hours of operation
    : Open: 7 days a week, 7:30 to 21:00

T2:
Code:
Store/location name
    : Mobile Center Narita Terminal 2
    (B1 Narita International Airport Terminal 2) 
Hours of operation
    : Open: 7 days a week, 7:30 to 21:00
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:20 am

Unfortunately, the stores will be closed by the time I arrive (late evening). I was hoping there would be a vending machine instead, like in some other airports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.