Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stifle
Japan - Prepaid Data SIM Wikia

1) get a SIM before the trip, activate it when you land. you can find japan-specific prepaid SIMs on ebay/amazon/... .Some countries have providers that offer good roaming rates in other countries(eg Starhub in Singapore, Ais Sim2Fly available globally)
2) preorder it, delivered to your hotel
3) preorder it to airport post office, can pick up when you land
4) preorder it, pickup at some airport counter/store
5) at airport/city, find an store/kiosk/vending machine and buy from them
6) Use an app such as Iijmio, Airalo or Ubigi to buy an e-SIM if your phone supports it
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Old Jan 12, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by dtc
Oooh... I might be able to borrow a friend's iPhone 4S if he can upgrade to the iPhone 5S soon enough and get it unlocked in time.

Strangely b-mobile says the iPhone 4S with iOS 7 is not compatible. I'm guessing this is something to do with the APN. Weird stuff.
I believe the problem is with iPhone 4, not 4S. The APN won't stick. There are ways around it, such as using online APN changer website.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
I came across this. Does this mean the 5s and iOS are now supported?
http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/setting.html
Old Jan 26, 2014, 4:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA Mileage Plus, IHG Rewards Club
Would you guys know if the Hotspot function in iPhone can be used with Bmobile? My party of 3 and I are thinking of sharing a single SIM card, since it's expensive (compared to what we're used to in other parts of Asia). 1GB is a lot to be used in 6 days.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Yes, you can use hotspot function for the 1GB SIM, be warned though, if you exceed 360MB in 3 days, you will be subject to speed lock which effectively made your SIM unusable (I mean terribly slow)
Old Feb 20, 2014, 9:22 am

Gotcha, we shouldn't be using that much in 3 days anyway. Hopefully.

Also, I just saw this on their website: "The b-mobile SIM card is provided to customers on a loan basis. Please return the SIM card to JCI after service expiry.
Please address SIM Card Returns to:
Japan Communications Inc. b-mobile Helpdesk, SIM Card Returns
Zip code:105-0001, 4-1-28 Toranomon-Towers-office, Toranomon, Minato-ku, Tokyo"

Are they.... serious? This is the first time I've ever seen a telco demanding a return of a SIM card a foreign traveller purchases. Do we really have to return the SIM card? This seems like a huge hassle.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 5:44 pm

I have a box full of expired B-mobile cards. And I had no problem ordering new ones every time.

This must be some kind of crazy telecom regulation requirement.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 3:20 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
According to item 17 of their FAQ:

Where to return SIM card and is there any penalties for not returning?
Zip code:105-0001, 4-1-28 Toranomon-Towers-office, Toranomon, Minato-ku, Tokyo
There is no penalties for not returning the sim card
Old Feb 21, 2014, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by wysiwyg
According to item 17 of their FAQ:

Where to return SIM card and is there any penalties for not returning?
Zip code:105-0001, 4-1-28 Toranomon-Towers-office, Toranomon, Minato-ku, Tokyo
There is no penalties for not returning the sim card
I lol'd. Doesn't make sense for publishing their request to return the SIM card then. Maybe it's some legal requirement like beep88 mentioned.

Thanks guys!
Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:57 pm
DH

Sakura Mobile

I found Sakura Mobile which offers Data SIM and MiFi rentals. Rates for data SIM start at JPY 5150 for 3GB + JPY 50 per day. MiFi rates start at JPY 5300 for 3GB + JPY 100 per day. Anyone used Sakura Mobile?
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:10 pm

You can buy SIM card valid for 3 months, 2 GB, for ~4000. Same network.

http://www.iij.ad.jp/en/news/pressre...2014/0930.html
Old Dec 2, 2014, 7:57 am

I have the b-mobile Visitor SIM (1GB) on a CDMA iPhone 6 (A1549). The phone constantly shows no signal (all the pips are hollow) but does sometimes decide to register for LTE. I've been able to pull down about 6 Mbps sporadically, when it is feeling like showing LTE, but probably 99% of the time it is 0-bar "3G" coverage all throughout Tokyo, including when standing next to a docomo store. The data times out, is extremely bursty, and is otherwise just not a quality connection.

I thought I saw one signal pip fill in, once, but that might have been a hallucination.

For the price, I am very disappointed with the quality of the service and the connectivity. (It is basically none). Docomo uses Band 1 for their LTE, and my phone supports it, so I don't get why connectivity is so terrible on this SIM.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
I have the b-mobile Visitor SIM (1GB) on a CDMA iPhone 6 (A1549). The phone constantly shows no signal (all the pips are hollow) but does sometimes decide to register for LTE. I've been able to pull down about 6 Mbps sporadically, when it is feeling like showing LTE, but probably 99% of the time it is 0-bar "3G" coverage all throughout Tokyo, including when standing next to a docomo store. The data times out, is extremely bursty, and is otherwise just not a quality connection.

I thought I saw one signal pip fill in, once, but that might have been a hallucination.

For the price, I am very disappointed with the quality of the service and the connectivity. (It is basically none). Docomo uses Band 1 for their LTE, and my phone supports it, so I don't get why connectivity is so terrible on this SIM.
Japan uses WCMDA/UMTS which isn't the same as CDMA. At least the last time I was there, they were marketed as 3G only SIM cards with a throttled connection of about 7 Mbps. If you used a CDMA phone, it makes a lot of sense why it wouldn't register.

If your iPhone supported GSM bands, you may have to put it into global mode. I used a Verizon Note 2 in both Japan and Europe with no problems - just put it in global mode and it worked fine.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I think clearly the IIJ card is the best current choice.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy
Japan uses WCMDA/UMTS which isn't the same as CDMA. At least the last time I was there, they were marketed as 3G only SIM cards with a throttled connection of about 7 Mbps. If you used a CDMA phone, it makes a lot of sense why it wouldn't register.

If your iPhone supported GSM bands, you may have to put it into global mode. I used a Verizon Note 2 in both Japan and Europe with no problems - just put it in global mode and it worked fine.
It's an iPhone 6. It obviously supports WCDMA and UMTS. I know what the difference is. There's no such thing as "global mode" on iPhones.

Specifically, I have the A1549 (CDMA) variant - http://www.apple.com/iphone-6/specs/ -- which supports all the same bands as the GSM one plus US CDMA. The phone has support, just the SIM is not working well. The SIM is now advertised as unthrottled, which 20 seconds of research would've shown you. http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/product.html - "Best effort theoretical maximum speed"

I have not used enough data to hit the throttle (how could I, the service is so crap?)

I'm mostly posting to echo what the poster above me said; this product is not good, at least not at the moment.

Last edited by NYCFlyer10001; Dec 2, 2014 at 5:36 pm
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
It's an iPhone 6. It obviously supports WCDMA and UMTS. I know what the difference is. There's no such thing as "global mode" on iPhones.

Specifically, I have the A1549 (CDMA) variant - http://www.apple.com/iphone-6/specs/ -- which supports all the same bands as the GSM one plus US CDMA. The phone has support, just the SIM is not working well. The SIM is now advertised as unthrottled, which 20 seconds of research would've shown you. http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/product.html - "Best effort theoretical maximum speed"

I have not used enough data to hit the throttle (how could I, the service is so crap?)

I'm mostly posting to echo what the poster above me said; this product is not good, at least not at the moment.
Temper temper.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.