Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shopping shoes at Narita Airport Terminal 1

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2012, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Shopping shoes at Narita Airport Terminal 1

I'm leaving for Japan tomorrow and I want to throw away my old shoes (if they last during my stay in Japan) and change to a new shoes at the airport. I don't want expensive bland name shoes but a simple one for daily use.

Can I find them in stores in Terminal 1? Do they have a good stock? My feet are kind of small, 22.5cm.

thanks
Old Jan 14, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by tabi
I'm leaving for Japan tomorrow and I want to throw away my old shoes (if they last during my stay in Japan) and change to a new shoes at the airport.
You're more likely to find a choice of shoes that you like at a reasonable price in central Tokyo than at the airport. Lots of choice for people with small feet.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: UA, NW
I once went to Japan during an unusually hot and muggy September, and my feet began to swell in the heat, making walking really painful. Unfortunately, my feet are U.S. women's size 10 (which I believe is 40 in Continental European sizes), and the average shoe store in Japan just doesn't carry anything that large.

However, as I was limping through a station arcade one day, I saw that the adjacent department store was having a clearance sale on European-made sandals. Unlike the U.S., where the large sizes sell out first, the large sizes were left over! I managed to find a comfortable pair of dressy sandals, for which my feet were extremely grateful.

I'm not aware of any shoe stores in NRT. Your best bet for finding shoes in Japan would be a department store that featured European imports.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:38 am
Original Poster

I agree both of you that I have a better deal and options shopping in the city. That may be what I do but am wondering if I have the last chance at the air port. The security/airline won't refuse me getting on board based on the condition of my shoes, will they?

I visit there every year but never paid attention to stores selling shoes.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by tabi
wondering if I have the last chance at the air port.
NRT shops are listed on the airport website.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 2:10 pm

You will be hard pressed to find simple shoes at the Terminal 1 shops.
As everyone else has suggested, central Tokyo is better... I would suggest the Ueno market which has lots of deals and there are ABC Mart shoe stores too. Have fun!
Old Jan 14, 2012, 2:14 pm

Exclamation

[QUOTE=tabi;17813211] The security/airline won't refuse me getting on board based on the condition of my shoes, will they? QUOTE]

Japanese security and airline won't refuse you based on the condition of your new shoes but your home country's immigration and custom might notice...
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:59 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Just buy the shoes in Tokyo. There are no shoe stores at Narita airport
Old Jan 15, 2012, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by mapleg
Just buy the shoes in Tokyo. There are no shoe stores at Narita airport
Good advice, but bad information.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 5:45 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jib71
Good advice, but bad information.
I've never seen a shoe shop inside the secure area, is there a shoe store upstairs in the landside shopping mall? Or are you referring to a few pairs of shoes in a shop containing many other things?

Admittedly, I've never searched for shoes at Narita.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I've never seen a shoe shop inside the secure area, is there a shoe store upstairs in the landside shopping mall? Or are you referring to a few pairs of shoes in a shop containing many other things?

Admittedly, I've never searched for shoes at Narita.
Oh, trust me, there are plenty... Doesn't Ferragamo, Hermes and Gucci all carry them? ;-)
Old Jan 16, 2012, 1:04 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by ainternational
Oh, trust me, there are plenty... Doesn't Ferragamo, Hermes and Gucci all carry them? ;-)
Ferragamo is the only brand name store at NRT that is primarily in the business of making shoes and still only one of their T1 shops (south wing) even carries shoes. NRT is not like the LHR shopping mall.

I flew out of T2 for the first time and noticed more shopping options, but none that carry shoes.

I have purchased lots of shoes at LHR over the years. In the fall of 2008 the Bally store in T1 had many shoes 50% off and the GBP/USD had dropped to 1.35ish. LHR even has lower end shoes like Clark's.

Otherwise it's tough to find shoes in Japan. The Adidas store in Shibuya carries up to 30.0 cm shoes, which happens to be my size. And the price is about the same as in the US. Otherwise, the luxury brand stores only carry up to like 26 or 27 cm.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:34 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ainternational
Well, considering the OP said they did not want expensive shoes, I don't think he or she will be buying those.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Sorry for the absence. I was crazy busy for a couple of days.

No, I‘m not going to buy those expensive shoes just to go home. Actually, I bought one
at a sale in the department store.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.