Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

One Full Day/Night in Tokyo

Old Sep 2, 11, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

I am staying in Roppongi Hills. I get there early in the morning and leave the next afternoon. What are some must things I should do/see in Tokyo? Good Kobe beef spot? Love to see a sumo match too or something. Trying to be on a budget there too. How much is the Narita Express train?
Old Sep 2, 11, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Have you read a Tokyo guidebook yet? Have you read the FAQ pinned to the top of this column?

At least one of your questions is answered there.
Old Sep 2, 11, 8:59 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
When will you be in Tokyo? It makes a difference in advice we can give. For example, the next Grand Sumo tournament is September 11-26 at the main arena (Ryogoku Kokugikan) in Tokyo. The next will be in November clear down in Fukuoka, Kyushu.
Old Sep 2, 11, 9:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Day 1 - Head to the Imperial Palace, Harajuku and Shibuya districts. You get a great sampling of a broad spectrum of the culture in Tokyo and you get to see a lot of town. I also enjoyed visiting the Sensoji Temple but mostly because it was convenient to where I was staying that trip. If you want a skyline view the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building is free and has great views. Depending on how jetlagged you are this can take up the better part of a day.

Dinner (or at least snacks) at the Yakitori shacks near Ginza. If you really are trying to stay on a budget this or a ramen shop is going to be much more reasonable that a Kobe beef meal.

Day 2 - Wake up EARLY. Like 4-4:30 early and get yourself over to Tsukiji. If you are there VERY early and can find the main office and get lucky you'll get access to the tuna auctions (more here, too). They're over by 6am or so which is why getting there so early is important. Even if you do not get in to the auctions the market itself is incredibly fun to walk around and take in. Just stay out of the way as the workers wield the swords to section the tuna. After that get some breakfast and a beer from one of the sushi stalls on the periphery of the market.

Head back to your hotel, shower, pack and head to the airport.

Narita to town on the regular train is about 60-80 minutes depending on the timing of which train you catch. I don't think the time savings that the express train offers is worth the up-charge, but maybe that's just me.

Last edited by sbm12; Sep 2, 11 at 9:37 pm
Old Sep 3, 11, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Narita to town on the regular train is about 60-80 minutes depending on the timing of which train you catch. I don't think the time savings that the express train offers is worth the up-charge, but maybe that's just me.
I don't think any of the non-Narita express trains take less than 80 minutes to get into Tokyo. You're not only paying for the faster train, you're also paying for comfortable seats, no stops between the airport and city, and a train that isn't going to get more and more crowded as you near Tokyo. The ride on a regular train while jet-lagged gets my teeth on edge.
Old Sep 3, 11, 9:31 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
... The ride on a regular train while jet-lagged gets my teeth on edge.
I feel the same way about the regular Keisei line as opposed to the Skyliner. The extra money is well worth it.
Old Sep 5, 11, 9:04 am

Programs: UA, NW
I've done the ride on the regular Keisei commuter train. I'd missed the Skyliner by a couple of minutes, and I didn't want to sit around in the dreary Keisei Ueno station till the next train--it was the middle of the afternoon. So I paid my 1000 and got on.

Imagine a 90-minute subway ride. That's the kind of train it is, bench seats along the sides facing the middle.

It was interesting to do once. I got close-up views of the more obscure sections of Tokyo and exurban Chiba, but once was enough. But since then, I have taken the express trains, either Keisei or N'EX, depending on whether I have a JR Pass or not.
Old Sep 5, 11, 10:03 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Here's a sample timetable of non-Narita Express JR train.

DEP Narita T1 07:59
ARR Tokyo 09:34
ARR Shinagawa 09:43

and Keisei non-Skyliner

DEP Narita T1 07:41
ARR Asakusa 09:00
ARR Shinbashi 09:14

or if you end up on a slower Keisei train

DEP Narita T1 07:27
ARR Keisei Ueno 09:43
Old Sep 6, 11, 6:52 am

I am a fan of the Limousine bus when I am not pressed for time. I like the fact that it provides door to door service to the hotels and train stations, and it is especially good if one has bags.

Limousine bus provides direct service to the Grand Hyatt in Roppongi Hills.
Old Sep 6, 11, 11:15 am

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo View Post
I am a fan of the Limousine bus when I am not pressed for time.
I noticed on my last trip that the LB schedule to NRT from the Pen Tokyo has been cut back. There is now no bus running between 11:50 and 15:20. This makes it quite a bit less convenient if you have a late afternoon flight. I don't know if other routes are similarly affected.
Old Sep 6, 11, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ksandness View Post
Imagine a 90-minute subway ride. That's the kind of train it is, bench seats along the sides facing the middle.
I guess I'm so used to the 45ish minute ride on the E train to JFK that I just don't mind.
Old Sep 6, 11, 2:28 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
I've done the regular keisei train both ways. Heading into town, with only one cabin bag it is quite alright. Took the return trip to the airport from Nippori a few times. There were always many vacant seats and ample room for full size bags. You can't beat the price.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: