Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Is $1083 r/t from San Diego-Tokyo/Singapore Air a good price (10/10-10/20)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is $1083 r/t from San Diego-Tokyo/Singapore Air a good price (10/10-10/20)?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2011, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up Is $1083 r/t from San Diego-Tokyo/Singapore Air a good price (10/10-10/20)?

Hello,

I’m taking my first trip to Japan (solo) in mid-October of this year. I’m anxious to buy my tickets just to finalize the trip, but I would hate to book so early that I miss a much better deal. I have never flown SQ, but understand that they typically cost slightly more than their competitors, and for good reason. Obviously flights out of LAX are cheaper (currently $943 with their Sweet Deals promotion), but I am willing to pay a bit more for the convenience of flying out of my home airport.

Based on experience, will this fare with this airline drop much lower than the $1083 I am seeing now?

With no regard to airline preference – but limiting my search to 1 layover maximum – Korean Air is currently offering the most competitive fare at $1009. While I’ve flown Korean twice and have no complaints, I am really curious to see what SQ has to offer and especially to try out the new A380! Any advice on whether or not to just say screw it and buy now would be much appreciated!

Thank you!!
Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:50 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT, Lindsay!

I don't think SQ is noticeably better in economy than other airlines, but I've never ridden SQ in Y so I don't have direct personal experience.

I would expect mid-October fares o come down at least a bit from those levels, if the oil shocks don't continue.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 3:06 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I don't think SQ is noticeably better in economy than other airlines, but I've never ridden SQ in Y so I don't have direct personal experience.
I disagree. To paraphrase Winston Churchill, SQ is the worst economy class in the world ... apart from all the others.

I've had the "pleasure" of comparing SQ Why? with LH Why?, UA Why? and NH Why? in recent months.

Why? Don't ask.

Overall, I'd say SQ Why? was actually a little better than the others.
NH's seat sucked.
UA just sucked.

I suppose, SQ and LH sucked too. They just sucked a little less.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 6:36 am

SQ. What was the question again?
Old Mar 9, 2011, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would take SQ as the flight will be on the A380 (which will be a nice ride). Is that the "all in price" including the fuel surcharges and taxes? Do you get miles with the fare? Some of the low ball SQ fares do not give mileage so buyer beware!
Old Mar 9, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: UA, ANA, BA
Singapore Airlines has the best Economy Cabin in the air on the A380, hands down I've taken the Tokyo-Singapore route on the A380 several times and it's an extremely pleasant experience.

I think this is a very fair deal to Singapore Airlines.

And their FA's are as gorgeous as their service is impeccable. ^
Old Mar 9, 2011, 9:43 am
Original Poster

I said screw it and booked $918 r/t from LAX on SQ, no miles though... I'm not even close to a FF anyway so not a huge deal to me. Train from San Diego is $31. Hubby will pick me up on the way back home! I've heard the FA's are stunning! I can't wait!! Thanks! I know using air travel the entire way from SD wouldn't be much more expensive then what I currently have going, but I would rather just ride the train up and not have to deal with boarding two planes. No sitting around waiting in LAX either - esp with no lounge access!!
Old Mar 9, 2011, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by travelindsay
I said screw it
"Book it" works where I come from.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Oh, sorry if I've offended you!!
Old Mar 9, 2011, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by travelindsay
Oh, sorry if I've offended you!!
Meh. Screw it!
Old Mar 9, 2011, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN, 7G, SPG (for now)
Originally Posted by jib71
"Book it" works where I come from.
You limeys talk funny.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.