Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Route Advice - Hawaii/Japan/China trip - Any expertise?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2011, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Planning a trip to Japan and China at end of April/early May and would like advice. Prefer to fly to Honolulu for a few days then to Tokyo for a week or so then onward to Beijing then back to USA.

I'm originating in Cleveland and I know Midway in Chicago has a lot of flights to Narita.

Any way I can squeeze Honolulu in there for a few (4-5) days prior to flying to Tokyo? Any way that is not ridiculously expensive that is. Any route help would be greatly appreciated...I know there are particular routes that make this more of a viable option than others...

Thanks in advance FTers!
Old Mar 1, 2011, 6:28 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I have some very straightforward advice for you: Do not go to Japan at the end of April/early May. Really. Don't go then. That is the time of the "Golden Week" holiday in Japan and everything, and I mean everything, will be very full and crowded. The same is true for Hawaii, as a good portion of Japan will be filling up all the hotels in Hawaii as well.

Pick some other time to go.

I also cannot imagine that Midway airport in Chicago has a lot of flights to Narita, as you state. I would expect that ALL flights to Japan leave and arrive at O'Hare.

It will almost certainly cost more to stopover in Hawaii, at any time. Hawaii - Japan flights tend to be expensive because Hawaii is very popular with Japanese tourists. There are regularly times when LAX/SFO-NRT can cost less than HNL-NRT.

You need to do your homework.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Not only that, but visiting both China and Japan in two weeks will give you the "if it's Tuesday this must be the Great Wall" feeling.

This isn't like visiting two adjacent European countries. China alone is about the size of the U.S., and extremely varied. I spent five weeks there once, and every city we visited had different architecture, different food, different natural surroundings, and different dialects.

Pick either China or Japan. There will be plenty to see in either country, and given your timing, China would be the better choice this time around. (At least you weren't planning to visit Japan and China and India in two weeks, as a poor soul on another travel board was.)

If you want to go to Hawaii, go to Hawaii. If you want to go to Asia, go to Asia.

Oh, and don't plan on flying out of Midway on a non-stop to anywhere in Asia.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 10:33 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
What is it with all the Golden Week travel plans we have been seeing lately? Must be a full moon or something.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:08 pm

Programs: Too Many
Echoing the other comments, don't go to Japan if you can during Golden Week. I would pick China based on your schedule. As for your other question about going through Hawaii. Usually it is very expensive especially during any Japanese holiday periods. At other times, it is not that expensive if you buy a fare that allows a stopover on the return. From Japan-HI your choices are basically UA, NH, JL, DL, & CA. Also, HA from HND. I wouldn't suggest it. If you do, you will need to some homework though to a get reasonable fare.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:13 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN, 7G, SPG (for now)
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
What is it with all the Golden Week travel plans we have been seeing lately? Must be a full moon or something.
There was a Delta and AA sale.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.