Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

MiFi Wifi Rental in Japan

MiFi Wifi Rental in Japan

Old May 25, 2018, 5:57 pm

@amw3000 You may want to look into iVideo https://www.ivideo.com.tw/english/japanwifirental I saw this reviewed & promoted on the Tokyo Lens YouTube channel

ETA: Also check the usage policies for specifics. Unlimited high speed data in Japan is always a fast one. Someone's paying, either full speed overage charges (GAC has this for specific model), cutoff at X per Y days or hours, or "high speed" for ZZZ MB then off to 128/256 kb or hard stop.

Last edited by freecia; May 25, 2018 at 6:06 pm
Old May 31, 2018, 11:24 am

Per recommendations from this thread, we used Global Advanced Communications: http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html

Had no issues, easy pickup / dropoff, and reasonable pricing. Current rate appears to be around $100 USD for 2 weeks Unlimited at 75Mbps. They have a number of options for you to compare.
Busymann likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BeachRat
Per recommendations from this thread, we used Global Advanced Communications: http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html

Had no issues, easy pickup / dropoff, and reasonable pricing. Current rate appears to be around $100 USD for 2 weeks Unlimited at 75Mbps. They have a number of options for you to compare.
8-9usd/day is kinda steep?!?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by freecia
@amw3000 You may want to look into iVideo https://www.ivideo.com.tw/english/japanwifirental I saw this reviewed & promoted on the Tokyo Lens YouTube channel.
My recent trip to Tokyo I gave iVideo a try instead of my usual choice of Ninja WiFi. It cost me about about US $32 bucks (I tried the 601WH Softbank Unlimited option) for 9 days worth. Picked up from Lawson and returned via Japan Post with the pre-labeled small Japan Post parcel envelope (the one where you shouldn't have something taller than 3 cm). The return was fairly quick based on tracking number (got delivered in 1 day, late day pick up, next day delivery).

I didn't measure the speed much, but browsing web /Google Maps / mobile apps on the streets of Tokyo / trains / subways and occasional VPN back home for remote desktop works perfectly fine.The device did had some restarts but otherwise no problem. I do have to bring a mobile battery pack to charge it if I am out for a long period of time (and also for my phone). So it can be another choice if you are just wondering the streets of Tokyo. I didn't venture further out so I can't say if it would be fine for something like Hakone or Mount Fuji and other more remote areas.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Are any of these available for pickup at HND International Terminal in the evening (the Lawson)? I will arriving on the 9pm NH flight from JFK.

Last edited by 764toHI; Oct 24, 2018 at 9:37 am
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by 764toHI
Are any of these available for pickup at HND International Terminal in the evening (the Lawson)? I will arriving on the 9pm NH flight from JFK.
I know for Ninja WiFi you can pick up your order after regular hours (on the 3rd floor / departure level) at the HND international terminal. It's not Lawson but it's either JAL ABC counter (on the 3rd floor / departure level) or another shop that services multiple WiFi rental companies. Global Advanced Communications (GAC) also has "premium" delivery to HND (also JAL ABC counter). If you check out the rental companies they will definitely list all the available options.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:15 am

Programs: LH M+M
Originally Posted by 764toHI
I was picking up the Pupuru one in HND - but I dont know off hand how long the counter is open.
Google helps: JAL ABC counter, open 24h https://pupuruwifi.com/airport.html
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA
Which Pocket Wifi?

There is so much info out there my head is spinning. Which pocket wifi do you prefer or use?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:40 am

For this year I just booked japan-wireless. One can find a coupon (Y1,000) in their "web-magazine".
Total cost Y6,970 for 11 days with 180Mbps, pickup at HND post-office.

JW created this chart - ofc favourable for them, but good as a quick start
https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/...HDZ_I8YzA.jpeg

Some additional notes:
- if you place the order, fill in all names (incl middles) as written in passport (they'll check at the pickup counter)
- apparently JW uses the Ninja-Wifi counter in HND (on 3F)

Last edited by PAX_fips; Mar 14, 2019 at 12:32 am
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:03 pm

Any concerns with Pupuru? looks like they are doing 50% off right now
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by theshaun
Had PuPuru last year and it was fine - except the battery lifetime. Also note you've to book/register at least 3 days
in advance. Coverage+Speed within Tokyo was hassle free.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by theshaun
Pupuru also has an active coupon "SP10" for additional 10% off your order if you order by March 30. I just made my reservation with Pupuru this time as iVideo didn't have Lawson pick up option at Haneda even though it has the option for Narita. There's probably a Lawson near my hotel I am gonna be staying at but I prefer to have WiFi asap. Of course, there's the 1,000 yen delivery / return shipping charge on top of the device rental charge. Overall, the ordering experience was smooth and I will report back the speed after my trip is over.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:41 pm

i wound up booking with Japan Wireless. They had a large discount with the promo code that can be found through their web magazine and had reportedly better battery life. they also include a power bank.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:26 am

Wrapup of my 2019 JW experience:
- lost conneciton two times in very underground/bunker situations but not once in metro or so
- battery life amazing (after 8h random/seldom use still 58%, after 4h "heavy" use around ~25-30%)
- also small "charger" (basicall just a socket to USB adaptor)
- speed very good (booked "up to 187M")
- 11 days with a JW-blog promo (Y1000): Y6970
nollbit likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:39 pm

agree with the above. My experience with JW was great. After a long day out with heavy use would be back to the room with about 30% battery left. Pick up and drop off was easy. Price was about $70 CAD after the above noted 1000 Y promo for 10 days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.