Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Japanese-Chinese cuisine

Japanese-Chinese cuisine

Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Japanese-Chinese cuisine

What are some good dishes to try for Japanese-Chinese food?

Basically, it is Chinese food with Japanese take on it.
I'm familiar with Korean-Chinese food but not Japanese-Chinese.

Any recommendations?

Tks!
Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can confidently say that the Japan forum endorsement is for Mabo Doufu.

MrLapLap likes Chinjao Rosu
https://cookingwithdog.com/recipe/pepper-steak/

I occasionally make Ebi Chili using this recipe:
Two quickies with shrimp: Easy chili shrimp; shrimp,onion and furikake fritters | Just Bento
But perhaps this recipe is more typical - https://cookingwithdog.com/recipe/ebi-chili/

What I have yet to get a handle on is the way to cook Chahan in the Japanese style. Egg fried rice. I know that it’s very popular to prepare it with “Chinese style” dry Chicken soup stock as an ingredient - ?????130g | ?? | ?? | ??????YOUKI?
EDIT - Was too busy to add this earlier, but this successful Tokyo Gas advert indicates the prominence Chahan has in Japanese family life (it’s the only meal the dad could make for his daughter when she was a child and she specifically requests it from him as a young woman going through a difficult time).
mjm, jib71 and HawaiiO like this.

Last edited by LapLap; Feb 1, 2019 at 4:44 pm
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
ebi chili sauce is the most famous. I think sweet and sour pork is good too. also nikuman. Also basically all Ramen is chinese japanese food.
HawaiiO likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It’s snowing in London, so completely forgot to mention my favourite Chinese-Japanese dish. It’s probably one of the most popular dishes throughout Japan in the swealtering summer months. I make it several times a week when it’s hot.
Hiyashi Chuuka. Cold ramen style noodles with a variety of toppings and an icy dressing - the dressing can vary considerably.
Hiyashi Chuuka became established in Japan a couple of decades later than Ramen, two different Chinese restaurants (one in Kanda, Tokyo, the other in Sendai) are thought to have introduced it in the 1930s
HawaiiO likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also forgot to mention the Ramen style that most evokes its Chinese origins:
Champon - a speciality of Nagasaki.

Buta no kakuni (braised pork belly) is another favourite in Japanese households. I make it periodically, searing first, then cooking twice in a pressure cooker

Another avenue to look up if you are interested in Chinese-Japanese food is Okinawan cuisine. Okinawa has its own Champon as well as Buta no kakuni - which they call Rafute - but the islands historically had stronger ties to China than the main land masses of Japan and this is reflected in the food. Goya chanpurū is perhaps the most well known Okinawan dish.
HawaiiO likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info!
Goya chanpurū and Buta no kakuni look very chinese

Looking forward to Japan trip but never tried Japanese-Chinese food so I'll try some this time.
LapLap likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Thanks for the info!
Goya chanpurū and Buta no kakuni look very chinese

Looking forward to Japan trip but never tried Japanese-Chinese food so I'll try some this time.
If you head for Chinatown in Yokohama you’ll be spoiled for choice.

Bento.com has a primer for Okinawan cuisine in Tokyo
https://bento.com/okimenu.html

And if you’re looking to sample the official unofficial food of the Japan Forum, just ask. I’m sure one of the local members can give you a current Mabo Doufu recommendation.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:56 am

Chinese food is extremely commonplace and deeply-rooted in Jpn.
It's really one of the things I look forward to eating the most when in Jpn.
For some reason, Jpanese-Chinese (chuuka) seems to get knocked by many Americans.
So there is a personal preference thing here.
But for reference, I've been going to HKG just about every year for the past almost 15 years, so I understand their standards.
Having said that, I actually find a 900yen Bairan katayakisoba just as rewarding as a fine Cantonese dinner in HKG in very different ways.
I think the key is to just stick to casual Chinese restaurants when in Jpn. Those places are almost always Japanese-Chinese. No point in going to fancy, expensive authentic Chinese restaurants... that's what HKG is for (although some places like MO's Sense are worth it).

Anyways, I will list things you find in casual Chinese restaurants in Jpn that are either universally common or ones that Japanese tend to make well.

-- Fried rice (chaahan): This is ubiuitous in Jpn and is one of the most popular casual foods. Chaahan is made with Japanese rice which has different texture than in HKG, and that alone will distinguish chaahan from Chinese fried rice. Personally, I've been wowed by some amazing fried rice in HKG whereas I've never really been wowed by any chaahan in Jpn.

-- Ankake chaahan: If you are going to have chaahan in Jpn, however, you should go for this. This is not something you find commonly in HKG or N.America. Ankake is basically the thick starchy sauce with some veggies and various kinds of protein in them. Depending on where you go, the ankake part could be mediocre or amazing.

-- Ebi chili: As mentioned above, this is very common in Jpn and one that nobody seems to mess up as long as they use good shrimp. I take that back... ANA Lounge manages it to mess it up... they're the only people in Jpn that deep-fry shrimps in batter to serve as ebi chili, and it's pretty bad. But I digress. The sauce is not really sweet-and-sour sauce, but rather sweet and mildly spicy and has bit of a ketchupy taste.

-- Mabo-tofu: This was also mentioned above. I guess this one could be a little more esoteric than others. But it's just as common, if not more common than, ebi chili. And if you like tofu (and you're not a vegetarian), then it's worth trying. Soft tofu (good places seem to use silky-soft tofu) cooked with ground beef in mildly spicy sauce.

-- Ebi mayo: This is a bit similar to the honey walnut prawn that you find in Chinese restaurants in California. Very common, although not as ubiquitous as ebi chili.

-- Shumai: Although they have shaomai or siumai in HKG, shumai in Jpn really is a one of a kind. I personally like the Jpn one much better as they're more flavorful and go down easier, but that may be because I grew up on it. The most classic example of Japanese shumai is the one from Kiyoken which is based in Yokohama Chinatown but has takeout delis and bento shops all over Tokyo area.

-- Gyoza: I don't even know if this counts as Chinese food, since you find this at almost every ramen shop. But Jpn obviously does gyoza well.

-- Dandan men: Another Japanese-Chinese classic. I don't eat this stuff because I can't take spicy food, but I know the bar for dandan men in Jpn is quite high.

-- XLB & har gow: No fundamental difference between Jpn & HKG versions. But these are two items that Jpn tends to make quite well.

-- Spring roll: Japanese spring rolls are different from Cantonese ones. In Jpn, they tend to but strips of pork, shiitake, bean sprouts and sometimes bamboo shoot, all in a saucy mix. In HKG, the inside is a lot simpler... either just soft veggies or garlic-flavored prawns. I personally prefer the HKG kind, but you should still try one.

-- Annindofu: Almond jelly dessert. Just about every chuuka restaurant will have this for dessert. It's the most common Chinese dessert in Jpn.

I'm sort of a chain guy, being risk-adverse. And so my recommendations would be Bairan and Ginza Aster. Each has many locations in and around Tokyo. If you go to Bairan, you must have their classic katayakisoba (crispy chow mein that's fried like a dome with fillings inside. Nice thing about Jpn is that a lot of restaurants, including these two, will have reasonably-priced set menu for 1 person, where you can get a lot of different things for ~1500yen.
groovbusta likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are so many Chinese restaurants that are delicious :
Jasmine
Kisling
Le Parc Ebisu

to name three.....

A wonton soup place in Yotsuya..........which I will let you discover on your own !
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: UA, NW
It's helpful to know the Japanese names of some of these dishes.

Sweet and sour pork is "su buta." 酢豚

Mabo tofu is obvious but I always thought the meat was ground pork, not hamburger.

The dish that looks like Chicken McNuggets is tori kara age 鳥唐揚

One of the simplest and least expensive dishes is stir-fried meat and vegetables, niku-yasai itame 肉野菜炒め

When I was a student in Japan, most of the other international students were from Taiwan, and they thought it was odd that some of the smaller restaurants in Tokyo offered gyoza or spring rolls "harumaki" 春巻 as a main dish with soup and rice.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:39 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by evergrn
Chinese food is extremely commonplace and deeply-rooted in Jpn.
It's really one of the things I look forward to eating the most when in Jpn.
For some reason, Jpanese-Chinese (chuuka) seems to get knocked by many Americans.
So there is a personal preference thing here.
But for reference, I've been going to HKG just about every year for the past almost 15 years, so I understand their standards.
Having said that, I actually find a 900yen Bairan katayakisoba just as rewarding as a fine Cantonese dinner in HKG in very different ways.
I think the key is to just stick to casual Chinese restaurants when in Jpn. Those places are almost always Japanese-Chinese. No point in going to fancy, expensive authentic Chinese restaurants... that's what HKG is for (although some places like MO's Sense are worth it).

Anyways, I will list things you find in casual Chinese restaurants in Jpn that are either universally common or ones that Japanese tend to make well.

-- Fried rice (chaahan): This is ubiuitous in Jpn and is one of the most popular casual foods. Chaahan is made with Japanese rice which has different texture than in HKG, and that alone will distinguish chaahan from Chinese fried rice. Personally, I've been wowed by some amazing fried rice in HKG whereas I've never really been wowed by any chaahan in Jpn.

-- Ankake chaahan: If you are going to have chaahan in Jpn, however, you should go for this. This is not something you find commonly in HKG or N.America. Ankake is basically the thick starchy sauce with some veggies and various kinds of protein in them. Depending on where you go, the ankake part could be mediocre or amazing.

-- Ebi chili: As mentioned above, this is very common in Jpn and one that nobody seems to mess up as long as they use good shrimp. I take that back... ANA Lounge manages it to mess it up... they're the only people in Jpn that deep-fry shrimps in batter to serve as ebi chili, and it's pretty bad. But I digress. The sauce is not really sweet-and-sour sauce, but rather sweet and mildly spicy and has bit of a ketchupy taste.

-- Mabo-tofu: This was also mentioned above. I guess this one could be a little more esoteric than others. But it's just as common, if not more common than, ebi chili. And if you like tofu (and you're not a vegetarian), then it's worth trying. Soft tofu (good places seem to use silky-soft tofu) cooked with ground beef in mildly spicy sauce.

-- Ebi mayo: This is a bit similar to the honey walnut prawn that you find in Chinese restaurants in California. Very common, although not as ubiquitous as ebi chili.
I reckon the ebi mayo is all Japan’s “fault.” That’s the country that made me unable to eat mayonnaise anymore.

Another item I’d add to the list is bao, the pork buns commonly found in Chinatowns’ and department store food halls.

Was going to specifically highlight gyoza, since they’re my favorite thing on the list, since I’ve had some stellar ones with edamame and kurobuta. Enjoyed going to Gyoza Stadium in Ikebukuro, when it was around.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I think the Gyoza town is still there in Ikebukuro - you're talking about the section of Namja Town, right?
https://event.bandainamco-am.co.jp/namja/en/
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
There are so many Chinese restaurants that are delicious :
Jasmine
Kisling
Le Parc Ebisu
I don't know the first two, but Le Parc is good.
I've had dim sum there and it's good. But that place seems to be more of a traditional Cantonese place. I wouldn't go there for casual Japanese-Chinese fare.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by angra
I think the Gyoza town is still there in Ikebukuro - you're talking about the section of Namja Town, right?
https://event.bandainamco-am.co.jp/namja/en/
It was closed for a while, but it reopened a couple years ago. At least it was open as of a year ago.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:48 pm

If the OP is interested in Chinese food in Jpn, I highly recommend visiting Yokohama Chinatown. My favorite Chinatown in the world (at least compared to the ones I've visited). Only ~30min by train from Shibuya.

It's clean, vibrant, very walkable, good smell permeates throughout, and food everywhere including traditional Chinese (mostly Cantonese), Japanese-Chinese, finger food, desserts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.