Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

NRT baggage storage question and Tokyo nightlife question

Old Jan 17, 11, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Hi there! I have a few questions..
1. Iím flying to Thailand in a couple days, but stopping over in Tokyo and plan to spend four or five nights there so I need to take both winter and summer clothes. I also plan to shop a big suitcase worth in Tokyo..
After the five nights, I will fly to Phuket, but I want to check my suitcase in baggage storage at NRT.

Iím then flying from Bangkok to Narita on whatever airline is affiliated with Air Canada.. (sorry, I can't remember the airline). I then have 2.5 hours to catch my flight back home to Canada. I looked at the NRT website, but I have no idea if there is a baggage storage 'inside' the airport so I don't have to leave customs.. (I can store it on my way to Phuket)

I'm assuming I will have to leave customs area, then have to re-enter again. Does 2.5 hours give me enough time..

2. Does anyone have any personal experiences at Muse nightclub in Tokyo? My friend recommended it to me, but I'm not so sure, cause the last time I was there, they took me to "gas panic" not sure how I feel about that place..
I would like to go to a nice place where people are dressed nice with a mid 30s crowd. Does not have to be a night club. More preferably a nice lounge.

3. If you're in Japan, do you happen to know if the "norwegian wood" t-shirt is still available at Uniqlo?

4. The person I'm going with regularly goes to Asia, but mostly Shanghai and Hong Kong. He's been to Tokyo before, and has been to the Lost in Translation hotel and yoyogi park already. I really want to blow him away with something cool.. any tips on where to go in Tokyo? i don't think he's a big museum person, likes more of the "bright lights, big city", lots of energy type of atmosphere. We are going to an onsen as well. And we'll have a car there, so we can drive outside of Tokyo. any tips??

I had an account here a few years ago.. I wasn't even sure what email address I used for the first one. anyways, long story short, I ended up with a new account. I wasn't a big poster then, I just liked to read people's experiences and the wealth of knowledge on here.

Sorry if these are lame questions, I tried to do my research beforehand..
Thanks for any input
Old Jan 18, 11, 1:39 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

For an international-international transfer at NRT, you'll need to go through security but not immigration or customs (unless you have checked bags only to NRT).

You can check baggage at NRT landside, but it's fairly expensive. Depending on the bag size, it's Y500-800 per calendar day (i.e., in Monday, out Tuesday counts as two days).

There is no place to check baggage airside at NRT. So if you do check a bag before leaving for BKK, you will have to clear customs and immigration and then fetch the bag, followed by checking the bag, going through exit security and immigration. This probably can be done in 2 1/2 hours but if your incoming flight is late, things could get very interesting.

I am not even sure that an airline will check a bag on the intermediate leg of a flight where you are not making a stopover, but maybe an Air Canada guru can opine on that.

I haven't been to Muse, but I understand it's much more a dance place than any of the Gaspanics. I also suspect that at Muse the staff will be more polite.

The airline associated with Air Canada is almost surely ANA.

Finally, if you've seen Yoyogi Park and the Lost in Translation hotel, you've seen absolutely all the sights of Tokyo. Sorry!
Old Jan 18, 11, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much Richard! I can have my friend ship it to the airport through the Takkyubin (Sp?) service. My only fear is that there is a huge line when I check out to collect my bags at NRT on my way out.

That's what I told my friend.. that he's already seen everything.. So perhaps a trip to Tokyo Disney to see Mickey lol. Or to a yoshinoya for some terikyaki..

Thanks again for all the info, very much appreciated! I will re-think having to check any luggage at all.
Old Jan 18, 11, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by koriana View Post
That's what I told my friend.. that he's already seen everything.. So perhaps a trip to Tokyo Disney to see Mickey lol. Or to a yoshinoya for some terikyaki..
Yoshinoya's menu in Japan has no teriyaki, they only have gyudon (beef bowl) / gyu-nabedon (sukiyaki beef bowl) / gyu-kimchi-kuppa (beef bowl with kimchi) and budadon (pork bowl) 
They also have some fish dishes for those who want.
Old Jan 18, 11, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by KIXman View Post
Yoshinoya's menu in Japan has no teriyaki, they only have gyudon (beef bowl) / gyu-nabedon (sukiyaki beef bowl) / gyu-kimchi-kuppa (beef bowl with kimchi) and budadon (pork bowl) 
They also have some fish dishes for those who want.
But you can pretend it's teriyaki, it's really just as good and a lot cheaper.

BTW, where is our valued forum contributor Pickles when we need him so desperately?
Old Jan 19, 11, 12:41 am

Programs: Too Many
2. Does anyone have any personal experiences at Muse nightclub in Tokyo? My friend recommended it to me, but I'm not so sure, cause the last time I was there, they took me to "gas panic" not sure how I feel about that place..
I would like to go to a nice place where people are dressed nice with a mid 30s crowd. Does not have to be a night club. More preferably a nice lounge.
It has been a number of years since I went to Muse, but as it has been around for awhile it probably hasn't changed much. It is located in Nishi Azabu (right near the main Nishi-Azabu intersection) which is quieter than Roppongi, and it is usually a nicer exeperience than what you would expect at a Gas Panic. When you go into the club, it is like a cave. But once inside it is very open, and they also have many small rooms where you can sit down and talk or play some of the games (billards, table tennis, etc.) they have. They also have a main dance area. Overall, it usually is a pretty nice time. Sometimes, it will become a pick-up joint for the Foreign male/Japanese female crowd, but not as bad as some of the places over in Roppongi. The good thing is that there are a good number of nice little bars in Nishi-Azabu that you can move to easily that cater to more of a somewhat older crowd. So I would say that Muse would not be a bad choice, and if you don't like it you can move always to another place close by.
Old Jan 19, 11, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
But you can pretend it's teriyaki, it's really just as good and a lot cheaper.
especially when it's tsuyu-daku and negi-daku!

Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
BTW, where is our valued forum contributor Pickles when we need him so desperately?
Maybe he's in a pickle somewhere ?
Old Feb 1, 11, 5:04 am
Original Poster

I wanted to post an update in case anyone else had similar questions..

There is also a locker storage area on the fourth floor in terminal one and there are larger sizes for suitcases if you don't want to have to line up at the baggage storage area. I believe it was 500 yen per day for the larger lockers.

I ended up lugging my behemoth of a suitcase throughout Thailand.. because I didn't think I would have enough time to leave the airport and re-enter. The airline associated with Air Canada was Thai Air, and because they are part of the star alliance they were able to re-route the bag for me.

We ended up going to muse on a saturday night 'round midnight and it was not bumping... I know this cause most of the lockers were empty and because the doorman also confirmed it was not busy but added that it would probably pick up around 1 am. I was surprised, it seemed like it was in the middle of nowhere and the street was pretty empty, and we were able to find free parking on the same block as the club.

Norwegian Wood t-shirts are aplenty at Uniqlo..but they only come in male sizes.. the salesperson told me they are not really a popular item. if anyone is interested in buying them, they had tons.. at least the two locations that I went to.

Couldn't find any other sites to blow my friend away..since yoyogi and lost in translation hotel were already off the list.. but we did have a nice time at asakusa and a great time in Hakone.. except for waiting 1.5 hours just to get into the parking lot at the outlets in Hakone only to buy nothing. What a waste of time. If anyone is considering a trip to apparently japan's largest outlet, unless you don't have an outlet mall where you live, don't bother.. I saw lots of people with only one small shopping bag so I think most people share the same opinion.

Perhaps I wasn't going to enough places, but the quality of food and shopping goods seems to have gone down quite a bit.. a lot of overpriced low-quality crap from other asian countries, and the food was not as good, whereas before I never had a crappy meal.
I used to spend hours and hundreds of dollars in the stationary departments, but i was struggling to find anything.
What kind of things are you buying there that you can no longer find in your home country? I stocked up on rice crackers, tea, cosmetics, confectionary items, magazines, but most of it I can find at home for roughly the same price.. i wanted to stock up on mayonnaise since japanese mayo is the .... and way cheaper there, but my luggage already was exceeding weight limits.

i got pulled off the plane in NRT cause they wanted me to take some stuff out of my suitcase that i apparently was not allowed to have in there, the security guy was incredibly patient and apologetic as I rifled through my stuff trying to get out of the five pieces of contraband that I had (although thai air was fine with it).. They made me throw it out.. and he seemed genuinely sorry that I had to throw it away despite the fact I should know better.. anyways, when i landed in canada, it was the first suitcase that came out on the carousel, so a good way of getting your luggage quickly.

Have you been to the ghibli museum (totoro)? We went past it, but didn't have a chance to go.. apparently you have to buy your tickets much in advance, and my friend in japan didn't seem too impressed about my desire to go in.. so not sure if she made that bit up so she wouldn't have to go...

The ryokan I went to in Hakone was really nice, and a very reasonable price. we had a private unattached two level 'house' with a private outdoor bath and the food was good. It's cheaper because they dont' serve the food to you in your room, and because the beds are already made up.. but it was still a very good experience and less than half of other places considering how nice it was. if anyone is interested, I can send them the information.
Old Feb 1, 11, 11:49 pm

We ended up going to muse on a saturday night 'round midnight and it was not bumping... I know this cause most of the lockers were empty and because the doorman also confirmed it was not busy but added that it would probably pick up around 1 am. I was surprised, it seemed like it was in the middle of nowhere and the street was pretty empty, and we were able to find free parking on the same block as the club.
Nishi-Azabu where Muse is does have an empty feeling about it. Some people like the low key aspect of it. Agree that it is not like the vibe in Roppongi or Shibuya. I suspect what the doorman said was probably correct. Many Japanese clubs do not get busy till 1 or 2 in the morning. Haven't been in awhile, so I it probably isn't as popular as it used to be.

Hope you enjoyed your trip though.

Last edited by 808 Flyer; Feb 1, 11 at 11:56 pm
Old Feb 2, 11, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by KIXman View Post
Maybe he's in a pickle somewhere ?
No, sorry, lah. Safely esconced in an x18 suite at the LIT in Shinjuku. Mrs. Pickles is complaining bitterly that it is too big and she's getting lost going between the closet by the entrance and the bedroom.

Muse is OK, nothing to write home about. There are tons of little bars in the street parallel to Gaien Higashi Doori behind the muse, some very nice places. Elevage is good, or you can always try Derriere.

High-end poshy places include the Maduro at the GHT, the NY Bar at LIT Hotel, and Feria. There's always the New Lex if you want to ogle girls you couldn't pick up if you had a crane from a junkyard.
Old Feb 2, 11, 11:08 am

Ahh, I figured out what the LIT was! For a while there, it was lost, presumably in translation, to me. You're not proposing that one can pick up girls at the NY Bar, are you? Seems to me that only a Bill Murray could do that.
Old Feb 2, 11, 5:46 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
No, sorry, lah. Safely esconced in an x18 suite at the LIT in Shinjuku. Mrs. Pickles is complaining bitterly that it is too big and she's getting lost going between the closet by the entrance and the bedroom.

Muse is OK, nothing to write home about. There are tons of little bars in the street parallel to Gaien Higashi Doori behind the muse, some very nice places. Elevage is good, or you can always try Derriere.

High-end poshy places include the Maduro at the GHT, the NY Bar at LIT Hotel, and Feria. There's always the New Lex if you want to ogle girls you couldn't pick up if you had a crane from a junkyard.
Small correction: Gaien Nishi Doori.

Gaein Higashi is the Rappungi side.
Old Feb 2, 11, 10:18 pm

I actually prefer some of the other little bars in the Nishi-Azabu area though some can be pricey. More character than Muse.

As for the New Lex (or previous Lexington Queen), I never understood the attraction. A bunch of no-name models.
Old Feb 3, 11, 12:22 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Dia, Radisson Gold, Hertz 5*
There's always the New Lex if you want to ogle girls you couldn't pick up if you had a crane from a junkyard.
Sheesh, I could ogle plenty of girls like that in Mississippi, and drinks would cost a tenth as much.
Old Feb 3, 11, 4:06 am

Programs: HH, BD
Originally Posted by joejones View Post
Sheesh, I could ogle plenty of girls like that in Mississippi, and drinks would cost a tenth as much.
... and, at least in Mississippi, there's room to park your junkyard crane outside the joint.

Originally Posted by 808 Flyer View Post
As for the New Lex (or previous Lexington Queen), I never understood the attraction. A bunch of no-name models.
They do have names, actually. It's just that the regulars don't bother with that kind of drawn out foreplay.

Last edited by jib71; Feb 3, 11 at 4:54 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: