Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your advice for a 1 day visit to Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2011, 9:18 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by smythe
if I read my Tokyo guidebook correctly, it says I will not need any type of electrical adapters at all for plugging in laptops and other electrical devices in Tokyo, correct? very pleasant suprise if true. appreciate your confirmation.
There are previous threads on this topic. If you're using the typical US three-pronged plugs, you may find some power outlets that you can use - especially in office buildings. But you'll also come across two-hole sockets that won't accommodate the earth pin. For those, you will need an adaptor.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:04 am

(the previous post was more spot on)

Last edited by cockpitvisit; Jan 17, 2011 at 10:06 am Reason: Made obsolete by the previous post
Old Jan 23, 2011, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, Delta
OK, itin set. Train to Tokyo Station, hotel is 3 minutes walk away at Hotel Ryumeikan Tokyo. I think Imperial Palace area, Marunouchi, and Ginza rest of day Friday, Fish Market Sat morning, back to hotel late morning, shower, and return to Narita by mid day. Anyone confirm that hotel is good? Thanks again for all the advice.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 2:23 pm

OK, itin set. Train to Tokyo Station, hotel is 3 minutes walk away at Hotel Ryumeikan Tokyo. I think Imperial Palace area, Marunouchi, and Ginza rest of day Friday, Fish Market Sat morning, back to hotel late morning, shower, and return to Narita by mid day. Anyone confirm that hotel is good? Thanks again for all the advice.
My experience of Ryumeikan is very out of date (mid 1990s). At that time, it was a decrepit flea pit. The photos on Tripadvisor show that it's undergone a major renovation ... In fact, I think I saw this in progress...
It looks completely transformed, so I guess you'll be fine.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, Delta
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
The easiest way is to ride the JR Narita Express to Tokyo station and stay in one of the hotels around the station. Then the following day, ride the Narita Express back to the airport.

just for clarification, I presume the JR Narita Express is a straight ride from the aiport to Tokyo Station? meaning no change of train is required?
Old Jan 24, 2011, 8:14 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
just for clarification, I presume the JR Narita Express is a straight ride from the aiport to Tokyo Station? meaning no change of train is required?
Yes. No change required.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 1:31 am

OK, itin set. Train to Tokyo Station, hotel is 3 minutes walk away at Hotel Ryumeikan Tokyo.
Make sure you go to the Yaesu side of Tokyo station to exit.

(The escalators from the N'EX platforms emerge at the Marunouchi side - so you need to walk the length of the concourse to get to the Yaesu exits. Your instincts might tell you to get away from the crowds and take the first exit that you see, but that will put you on the wrong side of the station).
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:11 am

Hi, sorry to buzz in to this thread, which is very, very good.

I have a night stop stay in Tokyo and as SPG Plat I was thinking of staying at the Westin Tokyo.

How convenient is that, compared to "downtown" Tokyo? Otherwise it will have to be Sheraton Miyako.

Thanks
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by H.J.Simpson
I have a night stop stay in Tokyo and as SPG Plat I was thinking of staying at the Westin Tokyo. How convenient is that, compared to "downtown" Tokyo? Otherwise it will have to be Sheraton Miyako.
For a single night stay in Tokyo, I don't rate the Starwood properties as convenient. Journey time by limousine bus to the Westin is 105-120 minutes. To the Sheraton Miyako, it's 95-110 minutes. Savvy travellers can beat those times by taking trains, but if you want to minimize travel time and hassle, I would suggest a hotel near a station that has frequent, direct trains to the airport. (N'EX takes about 60 mins to Tokyo Station / Keisei Skyliner takes about 40 minutes to Ueno).
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by jib71
For a single night stay in Tokyo, I don't rate the Starwood properties as convenient. Journey time by limousine bus to the Westin is 105-120 minutes. To the Sheraton Miyako, it's 95-110 minutes. Savvy travellers can beat those times by taking trains, but if you want to minimize travel time and hassle, I would suggest a hotel near a station that has frequent, direct trains to the airport. (N'EX takes about 60 mins to Tokyo Station / Keisei Skyliner takes about 40 minutes to Ueno).
How about Hilton Tokyo? - or do you have recommendations (4-5 stars)
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
How about Hilton Tokyo? - or do you have recommendations (4-5 stars)
You mean in Shinjuku? That's even more of a PITA to get in and out of than the Starwoods. Google Maps is your friend.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:25 am

The one night Tokyo stopover is an exercise in the art compromise (i.e. leaving everyone feeling like they gave up something important). You can earn points with your favorite programs, but not if you want a reasonable rate with a short commute to the airport and an interesting location. One or more of those conditions must give.

Suck it up.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN, 7G, SPG (for now)
Hi, sorry to buzz in to this thread, which is very, very good.

I have a night stop stay in Tokyo and as SPG Plat I was thinking of staying at the Westin Tokyo.

How convenient is that, compared to "downtown" Tokyo? Otherwise it will have to be Sheraton Miyako.

Thanks
Downtown? What downtown?
And didn't we already beat this subject to death before?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 2:29 pm

TA review...not too bad!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ure_Kanto.html
Old Jan 26, 2011, 9:51 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I picked up this Tokyo atlas before a 1.5 day stopover during a work trip to Okinawa last summer:

http://www.amazon.com/Tokyo-City-Atl...6103313&sr=8-1

It may be overkill if you're not planning to go to many areas or venture far from the main landmarks or stations. But I felt much more at ease having it and it helped me get a better sense of things. I had a few general areas I wanted to visit but otherwise planned to just wander around and see what I could find, the atlas was terrific for that.

Most of its station diagrams are pretty good at helping you figure out which door number to look for - saved me some hassle at the larger stations. Plus it's thin and lightweight.

Going backto Japan for 10 days with the family in April and am really looking forward to it. Tokyo is so cool and no matter what things you choose to do, you'll have fun I'm sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.