Reload this Page >

Looking for a travel companion for Winter JP Trip

Old Aug 27, 2010, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Glob AA Plat

Hey Guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I have a trip planned for Japan this winter(December 18th-Jan 1st), and my friend backed out on me last night...needless to say I'd like to see if anyone is also looking to do a winter trip. (Gender doesn't matter, but please, nothing sketchy). I’ve been three times before, and speak enough Japanese to get around, so I’m very confident about the logistical parts of the trip. If the idea of spending Christmas in Kyoto overlooking a snowy mountainous landscape appeals to you, let me know and let’s talk. I’m really into exploring the less-touristy areas. I’m also flexible with changing up the itinerary, which I have a rough plan drawn up.

Cheers!
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:54 am

Programs: UA, NW
Since you speak Japanese and know your way around, have you considered going by yourself?

No, I'm serious.

Every time I've traveled solo to famous tourist spots, I've been "adopted" by Japanese travelers. This never happens when I'm with someone, only when I'm alone.

My theory is that Japanese travelers feel sorry for anyone who doesn't have at least one travel companion and naturally want to incorporate them into a group.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:05 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
You might have more luck posting somewhere like travellers connected. We're a right bunch of misanthropes here.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ksandness

My theory is that Japanese travelers feel sorry for anyone who doesn't have at least one travel companion and naturally want to incorporate them into a group.
How sad!

Haha, but I hadn't considered how I would be treated differently, I've always traveled with other Americans when I've gone.

Part of me would feel like a jerk getting a suite upgrade @ PHT all to myself as well

I'll keep thinking about it!
Old Sep 8, 2010, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by gates_2
How sad!

Haha, but I hadn't considered how I would be treated differently, I've always traveled with other Americans when I've gone.

Part of me would feel like a jerk getting a suite upgrade @ PHT all to myself as well

I'll keep thinking about it!

Would u like to adopt a family of four? hahaha
Old Sep 9, 2010, 9:38 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
Originally Posted by ksandness
Since you speak Japanese and know your way around, have you considered going by yourself?

No, I'm serious.

Every time I've traveled solo to famous tourist spots, I've been "adopted" by Japanese travelers. This never happens when I'm with someone, only when I'm alone.

Do you have to speak Japanese? If a smile and some clumsiness works enough, this would be great. I guess I would try to communicate with Kanji? (I speak Mandarin). This would be great for immersion and making new, local friends...
Old Sep 10, 2010, 6:30 am

im down to go

check my facebook out for details, but id like to go ...
contact me thru fb since i just stumbled upon ur post accidentally here
Old Sep 10, 2010, 8:43 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT, phedz!

I think the Japan forum needs a matchmaking portion and following the trend here, it should not require specifying gender, age, interests, etc. Me, I am into long walks on the beach, quiet nights in front of a fire, visiting the Kawasaki penis festival....
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:34 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I am into long walks on the beach, quiet nights in front of a fire, visiting the Kawasaki penis festival....
Do you like pina coladas?
Old Sep 13, 2010, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Welcome to FT, phedz!

I think the Japan forum needs a matchmaking portion and following the trend here, it should not require specifying gender, age, interests, etc. Me, I am into long walks on the beach, quiet nights in front of a fire, visiting the Kawasaki penis festival....
^

no but seriously I'm realizing what a (potentially) bad idea it is to try to find a non-sketchy travel friend.... going alone doesn't sound so bad now
Old Sep 21, 2010, 6:39 am

Programs: SPG Gold, SQ Blue, OZ Diamond, JAVA and occasionally C
Originally Posted by gates_2
^

no but seriously I'm realizing what a (potentially) bad idea it is to try to find a non-sketchy travel friend.... going alone doesn't sound so bad now
I don't mind going but then I just went to Tokyo in Jul. And I speak decent enough Japanese to travel alone so I really prefer traveling solo, unless of course my travel companion is of the opposite sex then it would be more interesting. I just have had too many bad experiences with sharing a room with loud snorers to want to take the plunge again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.