Curry House CoCo Ichibanya Multilingual Menu Now Online

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Curry House CoCo Ichibanya Multilingual Menu Now Online

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2013, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by mjm
Bit of urban legend as they have no way of monitoring whether one has been here before.

I will do 7 when feeling delicate, when needing a quick snack, and 10 when I have time to enjoy.
I tried to ask out of curiosity how they enforce the "you must first eat level 5 meal before you can get any higher" rule and I almost got served level 5 because of the language barrier. Levels 1-2 are enough for me, and luckily the misunderstanding got cleared but I never got an answer. I guess they just take your word for it and thinking about it, it would be just stupid to lie about it unless you are some kind of hardcore spicy food eater.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 2:22 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Kallio
I tried to ask out of curiosity how they enforce the "you must first eat level 5 meal before you can get any higher" rule and I almost got served level 5 because of the language barrier. Levels 1-2 are enough for me, and luckily the misunderstanding got cleared but I never got an answer. I guess they just take your word for it and thinking about it, it would be just stupid to lie about it unless you are some kind of hardcore spicy food eater.
Methinks it is more of a sales gimmick than reality.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by mjm
Methinks it is more of a sales gimmick than reality.
Probably. Also it discourages first time customers from ordering something that they cannot handle. Just warning that it is very hot is not always very effective. By the way, is that stated also in Japanese language menu?
Old Sep 25, 2013, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Looks like they changed up the menu a bit. "Scrambled Egg Curry" and "Cheese stuffed inside Hamburger Curry" among the most notable new entries...
Old Sep 25, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Also new is “Cabbage stuffed minced meat cutlet curry” using cabbage from Tsumagoi highlands. Then autumn only item “Root vegetable with tori soboro curry, Japanese flavor” sold from September till end of November.

Note:
Village of Tsumagoi (嬬恋村) is located in Gunnma prefecture.
Tori soboro (鶏そぼろ) is ground chicken cooked in sweet soy sauce.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 11:45 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Also new is “Cabbage stuffed minced meat cutlet curry” using cabbage from Tsumagoi highlands. Then autumn only item “Root vegetable with tori soboro curry, Japanese flavor” sold from September till end of November.

Note:
Village of Tsumagoi (嬬恋村) is located in Gunnma prefecture.
Tori soboro (鶏そぼろ) is ground chicken cooked in sweet soy sauce.
Real estate has location, location, location, and Japanese food companies confide in terroir, terroir, terroir.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Cocos Ichiban Beef Cutlet Scandal

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/201.../#.Vpi7voaCgm8

Use of expired chicken cutlets is also suspected.

Last edited by hailstorm; Jan 15, 2016 at 2:43 am
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
CoCo Ichibanya has announced that this year first Europe location will open at London. Plan to expand to 10 locations in the U.K. in next five years. CoCo Ichibanya will ship their own curry roux from Japan and to serve same curry dishes in the U.K.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 3:55 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
CoCo Ichibanya has announced that this year first Europe location will open at London. Plan to expand to 10 locations in the U.K. in next five years. CoCo Ichibanya will ship their own curry roux from Japan and to serve same curry dishes in the U.K.
Where? When? :-)

Press release link?
Old Feb 8, 2017, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by mjm
Where? When? :-)

Press release link?
Official press release is in Japanese only.

海外子会社設立に関するお知らせ

Press release itself states that March this year Ichibanya will establish 100% wholly owned subsidiary ICHIBANYA U.K. LIMITED located at London, U.K. Further communication to Japanese press indicated that they are planning to open first CoCo Ichibanya in Europe at London sometime this year.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 2:28 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Funnily enough, I predict that ... Despite the abundance of restaurants serving British-ized versions of Indian dishes in London, and despite the fact that "Japanese curry" is a take on the British-ized curry dishes that reached Japan in the Meiji and Taisho eras (or so I have heard), CoCo will be very successful with its "authentic Japanese curry" in London. We're ready for it.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:11 pm

Just read snippets of this thread. So much love for Cocoichi here. I can't understand it.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:30 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by jib71
Funnily enough, I predict that ... Despite the abundance of restaurants serving British-ized versions of Indian dishes in London, and despite the fact that "Japanese curry" is a take on the British-ized curry dishes that reached Japan in the Meiji and Taisho eras (or so I have heard), CoCo will be very successful with its "authentic Japanese curry" in London. We're ready for it.
The closest I had to Japanese curry when in London in the 80's was the Chinese restaurants' offerings. I wonder if Japanese curry isn't a mutation of that and that the Chinese Curry is in fact a step in the mutation of Indian curry (perhaps as eaten by the British there and then via China. May be entirely off base but makes for good urban legend.

I will be in the UK in July and intend to gorge myself on real Indian curry, but CoCo being open so late makes for a wicked good late night choice.

Last edited by mjm; Feb 9, 2017 at 11:04 pm
Old May 27, 2017, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Cocoichi has introduced "sweet sauce" or とろーり甘くなるソース(torohri amakunaru sohsu) in Japanese. It looks and tastes basically like honey. It is not on the table. One has to request a staff to bring it. It's free.

I have just finished a 2-kara (spicy level 2) curry. (Yes, I am typing this at a Cocoichi table.) The sause helped me to soften the spiciness of the curry. For me, 2-kara is hot enough.

Most of the Cocoichi shops now have Wifi including wi2, with wihch foreign tourists avail themselves of free wifi. http://www.digi-joho.com/travel-to-j...-in-japan.html
Old May 27, 2017, 9:09 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by O Sora
Cocoichi has introduced "sweet sauce" or とろーり甘くなるソース(torohri amakunaru sohsu) in Japanese. It looks and tastes basically like honey. It is not on the table. One has to request a staff to bring it. It's free.

I have just finished a 2-kara (spicy level 2) curry. (Yes, I am typing this at a Cocoichi table.) The sause helped me to soften the spiciness of the curry. For me, 2-kara is hot enough.

Most of the Cocoichi shops now have Wifi including wi2, with wihch foreign tourists avail themselves of free wifi. http://www.digi-joho.com/travel-to-j...-in-japan.html
Practice makes perfect. I eat 10 Kara as a matter of course now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.