Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Jet lag from West Coast to Tokyo, and other Q's

Old Jun 5, 2010, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Hi all.

I have a conference that starts the evening of August 29 in Tokyo. When should I leave the West Coast (SFO) so that by the evening of 8/29 I'm not super jet-lagged?

Any feedback on how to best book the air + hotel? The conference has negotiated rates at some hotels in Roppongi/Midtown Conference Center, but I know that sometimes vacation packages come out to be cheaper than ala carte. (e.g. When we went to South Africa, the SAA vacation package was $1500 for airfare and 4 nights hotel, which was less than the airfare alone...)

Also, MrKS and I have already been to Tokyo, and he does not want to go again. Any ideas where else I could meet him and 1 year old KSjunior? Has anybody ever done SFO-Hawaii-NRT, and if so what was your experience? Any other places you'd suggest?

Thanks!
Old Jun 5, 2010, 9:11 am

Programs: UA, NW
Since a flight from the U.S. has you arriving to Tokyo on the next day, you want to leave no later than the 27th. Otherwise, you'll have to rush right from the airport to the conference.

Since you've already flown to Japan once, you probably have some idea of how well you personally recover from jet lag.

My preferred tactic is to sit in natural light all the way across the Pacific, as if I'm experiencing an exceptionally long afternoon. I hate it when the FAs insist on darkening the cabin after lunch, as if adults normally sleep for eight hours starting at 2PM, because then I arrive in Tokyo groggy, but if I'm allowed to sit in natural light, I arrive wide awake.

I stay awake, forcing myself if necessary, to 10PM Tokyo time (that last hour is difficult), which, if you are coming from the West Coast, is like staying up till 6AM. Then I go to bed and wake up at 5AM or later, which puts me on Tokyo time. It takes another day or two before I'm able to stay alert past about 8 or 9PM.

If you haven't seen the rest of Japan, I'd suggest that your husband and child fly into KIX and that you meet and tour the Kyoto-Nara-Osaka-Kobe area together.

Otherwise, the choice of meeting place is up to you.

As for hotel suggestions, I know that when I book with UA, the website always offers hotel suggestions. I have my own favorite places to stay in Tokyo (budget level), so I've never tried it, but I got some good deals when I went to London three years ago.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 4:19 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I am with the above. Going east to west (SFO-NRT) I try to stay awake as much as I can, avoid alcohol or caffeine in flight, force myself to stay awake after arrival, going out for a walk and staying active until a normal bedtime of 10:00 pm or even 11:00 pm, then try to sleep as long as possible in the morning. I go out for walks and stay active the first day and am fine by the next morning. I'd shoot for departure from the US on the 27th or even on the 26th. Unfortunately, you will be fighting the summer travel effect. Fares will be inflated.

As for hotel costs, I'd calculate into the equation travel to and from the meeting sites. If your "conference rates" are for a hotel at or near the event location, it might be worth it to spend a bit more in order to save transportation time and expense. I tend to prefer lower cost "business hotels" but pay extra to get to wherever I need to be. YMMV.

Hawaii is certainly a common stop-over point for trips to Japan. Personally, if I were hubby, I'd arrange a JR Rail Pass and see some of the rest of the country while you are in meetings. Tokyo is NOT all there is to Japan. But, if he simply does not want to go to Japan, Hawaii makes for a nice detour. There are many, many flights to NRT from HNL to serve the huge volume of Japanese tourists who visit Hawaii.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 8:30 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess everyone has a different approach. Flying west, I put myself out even though it's 2pm and I still manage to sleep that night in Tokyo. Of course, I do have my friend Mr. Ambien along to help.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Going from LAX to Tokyo, I try to get a really good night's sleep the night before the flight since it usually leaves late morning or noon.

Arriving in Tokyo around 5pm local time and a bit pumped up from the excitement of being there, the problem is getting to sleep.

I concur with the prior recommendations to stay awake as much as possible on the flight over. That way, you'll be tired when you arrive in Tokyo.

Stay up until at least 10/11pm and then hopefully you'll be on cycle when it's the morning.

I know this might sound silly, but instead of remembering it's 16hours ahead, I tell myself it's 8 hours behind and then say, "heck, it's only 8 hours..."

I find light is also the big factor - when it's light out, I try to stay awake. When it's dark, it's OK to sleep. Usually don't end up with any jet lag except that I wake up about 530am when i normally wake up at 630am at home. but at least that early wake up in the trip lets me make a quick trip to the Tsukiji fish market
Old Jun 13, 2010, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
I've done the SFO->Japan trips > 20 times over the last 4 years, now I resign myself to waking up at 2-3AM the first day (it is 2:20AM in Japan as I write this). At least I can get some work done due to less distractions. If you have a 8PM meeting, it might be ideal if you could catch a nap during the day, perhaps in the early afternoon...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.