Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

I've got 8 hours to kill at NRT...

Old Apr 29, 2010, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, Delta

...what's the best way to put the time to good use? Itin is arrive NRT Friday, May 28, at 8:35 AM, leave NRT at 4:15 PM. Never been to Japan before (except shorter NRT layovers) so this lengthier layover demands an excursion outside the airport. What can a rookie do that's worth it, but wont get me in trouble? Narita City close by? Tokyo? Something else? Appreciate your suggestions.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:00 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Welcome to Flyer Talk. We have a nice "Search" feature for the forums. If you click on "Search This Forum" and enter "Narita Layover," you will get about a gazillion previous threads answering your question. Here is one example: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...rs-narita.html .

Short answer, Narita City is less than 15 minutes by local train from NRT. The cost is less than 200 yen each way. Narita-shi has a very nice temple complex to visit, an interesting shopping street to explore and several good places to have a nice meal. Well worth the effort to sample a little of Japan. You can get a few yen from an ATM and be good to go.

It is possible to go all the way into Tokyo but for such a short visit, the 2+ hour round trip on the express train and the rushed nature of Tokyo around the stations makes it pretty stressful for a first-timer. I suggest a relaxed visit to Narita.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Glob AA Plat
Hey...this site has some good info for you:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6400.html

Honestly, 8 hours is a reasonable amount of time to leave the airport, but I wouldn't recommend traveling all the way into Tokyo, which would be a minimum 2 hr round trip on the train! You could spend a nice full day in Narita, check things out at a leisurely pace. Best of luck!
Old Apr 30, 2010, 1:14 am

You could also take the Keisei Skyliner to Ueno or the Narita Express to Tokyo Station.

Both options take about 50-60min, so its feasible for a 8 hr layover.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 6:20 am
Original Poster

thanks

appreciate the info, especially the search function. very helpful. Narita City does sound like the right choice. once I get off a train there, how hard will it be for me to figure out where I am? should I go armed with all the city maps I can get and a pre-planned route, or will it all be pretty self-apparent on the ground?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 8:31 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Glob AA Plat
Young person here sais to just wing it in Narita city--> seems like it would be more fun... Have an idea of what you wanna do...and you can try to figure it out^

All depends on your travel style I guess!
Old Apr 30, 2010, 9:19 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
A very useful page:
http://www.mgnewman.com/Naritax/
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Go to this web page

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/location/r...ba/narita.html

and look at the right-hand column, where you'll see JNTO's Travel Tips, with a subheading of "Narita."

Clicking on that will give you a 5-page PDF that includes descriptions of the sights in and around Narita, details of transportation options, and a simplified map of the city.

Walking from either train station to Shinshoji Temple will give you a leisurely glimpse of a typical small city that just happens to be near one of the world's major airports.
Old May 6, 2010, 7:41 am
Original Poster

thanks for all the info. one further question - my itin has me arriving at Terminal 1 and departing from terminal 2. will there be land-side lockers in Terminal 2 where I can store a bag while I wander around Narita City? Or will I have to go flight-side of Terminal 2 to get to some lockers or other bag storage facility?
Old May 6, 2010, 10:20 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by smythe
thanks for all the info. one further question - my itin has me arriving at Terminal 1 and departing from terminal 2. will there be land-side lockers in Terminal 2 where I can store a bag while I wander around Narita City? Or will I have to go flight-side of Terminal 2 to get to some lockers or other bag storage facility?
I assume you're talking about storing hand luggage?
Narita T2 has coin lockers on the 3rd floor: http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guid...svc_07.html#t2

Alternatively, you could carry your bag as far as Narita city and leave the bag in a coin locker at the station. I'm not sure if Keisei Narita station has coin lockers. JR Narita station has some at the East exit.
(You'll probably take a Keisei train to Narita - which will drop you at the Keisei station, just a stone's throw from the JR station).

Last edited by jib71; May 6, 2010 at 10:26 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.