FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-509/)
-   -   Ibaraki Airport, Designed for Budget Travel, Opens (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan/1061428-ibaraki-airport-designed-budget-travel-opens.html)

Wing Man Mar 10, 2010 8:46 am

Ibaraki Airport, Designed for Budget Travel, Opens

NY Times: Ibaraki Airport, Japan's 98th airport, opens on Thursday. The airport, 53 miles (85 km) north of Tokyo, is a "no-frills" facility that could cater to low-budget airlines.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/11/bu...l?ref=business

jib71 Mar 10, 2010 2:35 pm

Has anyone told Michael O'Liar yet? It seems like an outfit tailor-made for him.

Looking forward to London (Stansted) -> Tokyo (Ibaraki) with pay-per-piss lavs and unlimited scratch cards soon.

ksandness Mar 10, 2010 4:17 pm

The route would probably be something like this:

Stansted> Luxembourg > Bratislava > Lvov> Dnepropetrovsk > Dushanbe > Alma Ata > Urumqi >Ulan Bator > Shenyang > Pyongyang > Yonago > Ibaraki

O Sora Mar 10, 2010 8:59 pm

Ibaraki Airport (IBR) on today's local news.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f44qIbkqC2o

IBR under construction
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIrNgzKTURQ

OZ flies into IBR from ICN. So when a star-alliance award is unavailable to Tokyo, try Home - ICN-IBR and bus or train to Tokyo.

SJUAMMF Mar 11, 2010 12:19 am

Another prefectural government spending public money. And JAL is obliged to service it.

JALPak Mar 11, 2010 12:37 am

Originally Posted by SJUAMMF (Post 13553998)
Another prefectural government spending public money. And JAL is obliged to service it.

No they are not. JAL doesn't have regular service to this airport.

ChrisLi Mar 11, 2010 1:36 am

Skymark has taken that responsibility to do Kobe - Ibaraki, and Asiana flying there as well.

Not a bad start I guess?

(BTW how is Shizuoka Airport doing ? :p)

kcvt750 Mar 11, 2010 2:20 am

Oooh, oooh! Now I can't wait for the Hakone airport! :rolleyes:

jamar Mar 11, 2010 8:52 am

If you look at the Japanese Wikipedia page it looks like the regional LCCs are lining up to discuss opening flights to this airport. (according to it, AirAsia X, Cebu Pacific, Viva Macau, Hong Kong Express, and Jetstar are in negotiations) Also, you've got a few charters lined up to use this airport already.
(and who knows- maybe we'll see intercontinental service here from Euro or North American LCCs)

Keeping in mind that I have no vested interest in this airport, just saying that no, it looks like it's going to work out rather than completely fall flat.
(heck, I don't even live in Japan- I live in Shanghai; it's the new possibilities of one-stops or two-stops from SHA through HND to America that interest me as opposed to flying non-stop or one-stop out of grossly inconvenient but nice-looking PVG).

O Sora Mar 11, 2010 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by SJUAMMF (Post 13553998)
Another prefectural government spending public money.

Today, Mainichi Shimbun shows how optimistic local governments are about their airports.

Matsumoto AP 17%
Odate Noshiro AP 17%

These are Actual passengers/ Expected passengers ratio in fy 2008.

http://mainichi.jp/select/biz/news/2...?link_id=RSH05

Legend:
Airport, Expected(*10k), Actual(*10k), Achievement(%)

Originally Posted by jamar (Post 13555695)
grossly inconvenient but nice-looking PVG).

I've recently joined PVG marathon. What a big airport it is!

kcvt750 Mar 11, 2010 6:09 pm

Skymark - the Pinnacle of Safe Flying & Fair Labour Practices

Asahi Shimbun - 3/11/10

The transport ministry has reprimanded Skymark Airlines Inc. in writing for forcing a cabin attendant who was sick to work, thereby overriding the captain's decision to replace her with someone else.

The Aviation Law stipulates that a captain has the final say on cabin crews for individual flights.

According to the ministry, the captain of a flight heading from Haneda to Fukuoka on Feb. 5 learned before departure that a female crew member had lost her voice due to a cold. He ordered that she be replaced by another crew member.
The captain, a foreign national, cited possible problems in case of emergency.
But Skymark's Chairman Takashi Ide and President Shinichi Nishikubo canceled the captain's decision and ordered him to fly with the sick crew member.
The captain protested the decision and was replaced by another pilot and fired later that day after a heated exchange.

The fired captain filed a damage report with Tokyo police, alleging that he was slapped by the president and others during the argument.

The flight took off an hour later than scheduled with the sick attendant on board.
The ministry lashed out at Skymark for ignoring the captain's decision on the flight, calling the incident "unprecedented."

kcvt750 Mar 12, 2010 5:55 am

Originally Posted by kcvt750 (Post 13559304)
Skymark - the Pinnacle of Safe Flying & Fair Labour Practices

Not sure if this is the same pilot, but something smells fishy here. And it's not bluefin tuna.

Pilot sacked over inflight photos

The Yomiuri Shimbun

A Skymark Airlines pilot was dismissed for asking for photographs to be taken of himself with crew members and others in the cockpit on five flights between February and April, the airline said Tuesday.

Thirteen people, including three captains, were given punishments of two-weeks' suspension from work and the cabin crew involved have had their pay reduced.

According to Skymark officials, on April 9, during a flight from Tokyo's Haneda Airport to New Chitose Airport in Hokkaido, the copilot, in his 30s, asked a cabin crew member to take a photograph of the captain, himself and the chief cabin attendant.

In addition, the copilot arranged for photos to be taken of himself with cabin crew on four other flights--once each in January and February and twice in April, company officials said.
(Mar. 11, 2010)

Pickles Mar 12, 2010 6:03 am

Viva Macau

PR slogan: "Elvis is my copilot."

jib71 Mar 12, 2010 6:30 am

Originally Posted by kcvt750 (Post 13554264)
Oooh, oooh! Now I can't wait for the Hakone airport! :rolleyes:

You gotta believe that a seaplane has touched down on Ashino-ko at some point. Google doesn't help ... need to go interview some wrinkle-faced locals.

SJUAMMF Mar 12, 2010 9:01 am

If you look at the Japanese Wikipedia page it looks like the regional LCCs are lining up to discuss opening flights to this airport. (according to it, AirAsia X, Cebu Pacific, Viva Macau, Hong Kong Express, and Jetstar are in negotiations) Also, you've got a few charters lined up to use this airport already.
(and who knows- maybe we'll see intercontinental service here from Euro or North American LCCs)....

You think they will make more competition for JAL?