Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Japan alps quiet resort?

Japan alps quiet resort?

Old Dec 11, 09, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, CX, BR
Japan alps quiet resort?

Any suggestions on general or specific places to go would be appreciated. Will be visiting in early February, mid-week. *Not* skiing; but snow-shoeing in the woods would be nice. Onsen mandatory. Looking for quiet in the snow rather than Big Ski type places.
Old Dec 11, 09, 9:23 pm

Programs: National Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Hakuba Cortina might be similar to what you are looking for. Its a smaller ski resort (4-5 lifts) and has a larger hotel at the bottom of the hill with an onsen. I'm sure others will have better recommendations though. Ski patrol is known to be somewhat aggressive in pursuing those who go off the marked ski runs though, so I don't know how good the snowshoeing would be.
Old Dec 12, 09, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd personally stay away from Alps and Mountainous areas to do any snowshoeing. Hiking scares me enough when there isn't snow and I can see the edges to the precipices that run alongside the paths.

Hokkaido seems the ideal general area for this.

An alternative (I'm sure there are many) would be Yamagata prefecture where you can find
Tozawa village
http://www.yamagatakanko.com/winter/win14_kyoboku.html
and the Zao plateau
http://tour.club-t.com/vstour/WEB/we...=&p_baitai=914
Both look delightful to me and there's no shortage of onsen resorts in the vicinity
Old Dec 12, 09, 5:27 pm

Programs: *G (NZ SQ), MPC Gold, Amex Plat
I'm spending a week in Hakuba and a week in Nagano in early Feb to ski. While I prefer the steeper slopes I understand they have a lot of trails around for snow shoeing and cross country skiing as well.

Haven't been before but we choose both places as they're affordable and have plenty of dining options as well as lots of Onsen! Also plenty of options for things to do in case the ski fields are closed.

We're renting a car to get there but there are regular coach services that leave from the main airports to both ski areas.
Old Dec 14, 09, 9:39 pm

Location: Home of the 2001 & 2004 Rugby Super 12 Champions - the Brumbies (Canberra, ACT) and Australia's best ski resort (Thredbo, NSW)
Programs: QF SG (LT PS, 54% LT SG), Priority Club Gold
Originally Posted by fs2k2isfun View Post
Hakuba Cortina might be similar to what you are looking for. Its a smaller ski resort (4-5 lifts) and has a larger hotel at the bottom of the hill with an onsen. I'm sure others will have better recommendations though. Ski patrol is known to be somewhat aggressive in pursuing those who go off the marked ski runs though, so I don't know how good the snowshoeing would be.
Re the ski patrol and off-piste skiing, not anymore. There has been discussion on the ski.com.au forums that Cortina has opened up some of the tree areas for off-piste skiing this year.

Cortina offers an onsen visit with its day pass.

The Hakuba valley is a good option as there are 10 ski areas within a 20 minute drive of the main town. Some areas like Happo-one and Hakuba 47/Goryu are large but there are also a number of smaller, quieter areas. I spent a week there in January and even on the weekends the crowds were not as bad as the July-August weekend crowds in Australia.