Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

suggestions for a 4th trip to Japan?

suggestions for a 4th trip to Japan?

Old Oct 11, 2009, 1:59 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
The showroom at Nissan HQ never struck me as all that fancy, although it always has a dozen or so cars on display... The Ginza gallery on Harumi (as mentioned by IMOA) is more "fancy", but smaller: http://www.nissan.co.jp/GALLERY/GINZA/access.html
Old Oct 11, 2009, 11:12 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
If you are also into anime and manga, then Nakano Broadway (Nakano Station, in Tokyo is a must visit).

Since you're not an outdoorsy person, then Mount Takao or Mitake might not be to your taste, though it is different from Central Tokyo, while still being Tokyo.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chamade
BTW, the Tokyo Tourist Office on the basement floor of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government building in Shinjuku offers FREE walking tours of many parts of Tokyo, including some not often visited by noisy tourists. They provide them for groups of up to 5, and in English, German, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Italian and even French. I have gone on 2 and the guides were fluent in English, gracious and extremely knowledgeable. I highly recommend these tours.

If Japan is getting old (and it can, quickly, I know), how about Pusan and the rural parts of southern South Korea?
Interesting, I'll ask about the walking tours then.

Nonono, Japan isn't getting old. It's just that I feel I've been to a large % of the tourist attractions there already. It looks like I'm just going to have 3 full days at TMS, 1 leftover for other sightseeing then I'm going to go to South Korea, including a day trip to the DMZ.

Originally Posted by railroadtycoon
If you are also into anime and manga, then Nakano Broadway (Nakano Station, in Tokyo is a must visit).
Thanks but I'm not into anime or manga.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by jib71
Given that the OP is "honestly not that much of an outdoorsy person nor much into art... more of a car and technology guy", I think the small islands of Okinawa will be a dead loss.
Fine, not much in the way of cars and technology out on Okinawa, but plenty of the OP's 3rd interest, "Japanese culture". I'd also associate "outdoorsy" Japan with climbing mountains and bathing in waterfalls, while Okinawa's more along the lines of walking on the beach, listening to sanshin and quaffing awamori.

cwerdna, I'm getting the feeling you haven't really been anywhere "off the beaten track" in Japan? No obscure hot springs in the middle of the mountains or overnight stays at temples? There's more to the country than big cities and temples inundated with tour groups...
Old Oct 12, 2009, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by jpatokal
Fine, not much in the way of cars and technology out on Okinawa, but plenty of the OP's 3rd interest, "Japanese culture".
Okinawa wouldn't be very close to the top of my list of places to visit for "Japanese culture" , although I suppose there's Japanese culture wherever there are Japanese people. But that's beside the point...

I guess, basically, my negative attitude throughout this thread is because I have the impression that if someone has been to Japan three times and thinks she's seen most of what there is to see ... then there's a fair chance that she's seen most of what she'd be interested to see.

I think that most people who "dig" Japan, tend to have a better idea of what they could do on their next visit (e.g. " ...on this trip I'd like to explore the mountains/theater/music/pottery/textiles/history/food in greater depth" or "I've got a plan to tour Tohoku. What are the best onsen up there?"). The corollary to that is that if someone with experience of Japan is struggling to think of ways to kill a few days in the country ... it's time to go somewhere else.

FMNSHO
(Forgive my not-so-humble opinion)
Old Oct 12, 2009, 6:54 pm

And Tohoku seems so over!

I love Shirakami Sanchi for its stunning natural scenery but so many of the towns in Tokohu have renovated themselves and feature hideous mini mall architecture and there is minimal Japanese essence to them; and many of the seacoast towns on the Japan Sea side have few if any traditional Japanese districts left - due to storms and rebuilding.

It is hard if not impossible to 'find' any quaint, untouched, traditional towns and villages anymore in Japan - the Japanese have destroyed most of them in the name of convenience and modernization (Nakai, Hida Takayama, Shirakawa-go and a few others wear their 'history ' on their sleeves but are still very touristy and full of non Japanese milling around, always a visual problem), and I suggest people still pursuing that lost dream go on to places like China, rural Korea (very underrated) and rural Taiwan.

The 'real' Japan is, like it or not, places like Daikanyama.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by chamade
full of non Japanese milling around, always a visual problem
Are we that hideous?
Old Oct 13, 2009, 1:21 am
Original Poster

thanks guys! some of you have hit inthe nail on the head

Originally Posted by jpatokal
Fine, not much in the way of cars and technology out on Okinawa, but plenty of the OP's 3rd interest, "Japanese culture". I'd also associate "outdoorsy" Japan with climbing mountains and bathing in waterfalls, while Okinawa's more along the lines of walking on the beach, listening to sanshin and quaffing awamori.

cwerdna, I'm getting the feeling you haven't really been anywhere "off the beaten track" in Japan? No obscure hot springs in the middle of the mountains or overnight stays at temples? There's more to the country than big cities and temples inundated with tour groups...
I'm not much into climbing mountains and certainly not bathing in waterfalls. I've seen my share of waterfalls like Niagara Falls, some near Portland, Oregon and Snoqualmie Falls in WA (shown in Twin Peaks).

I definitely haven't been to "obscure" hot springs. I've seen the steam coming out of the ground while doing the Hakone loop and have been to Yellowstone Park in the US. Hmmm, I don't think an overnight stay at a temple would be my thing.
Okinawa wouldn't be very close to the top of my list of places to visit for "Japanese culture" , although I suppose there's Japanese culture wherever there are Japanese people. But that's beside the point...

I guess, basically, my negative attitude throughout this thread is because I have the impression that if someone has been to Japan three times and thinks she's seen most of what there is to see ... then there's a fair chance that she's seen most of what she'd be interested to see.

I think that most people who "dig" Japan, tend to have a better idea of what they could do on their next visit (e.g. " ...on this trip I'd like to explore the mountains/theater/music/pottery/textiles/history/food in greater depth" or "I've got a plan to tour Tohoku. What are the best onsen up there?"). The corollary to that is that if someone with experience of Japan is struggling to think of ways to kill a few days in the country ... it's time to go somewhere else.

FMNSHO
(Forgive my not-so-humble opinion)
Hahaha, I'm a he. It's andrewc spelled backwards. I think your statement is about right. I think I've seen what I'm mostly interested in seeing that also fits within my time and distance constraints. Tokyo Motor Show for 3 days is a must but if I head to say, Kobe (hear there's not much touristy stuff there), Hokkaido, Nagasaki or Kyushu, is it worth the cost and time to go? Would the sights in that area interest me? (I've taken the Shinkansen before from Tokyo to Kyoto to Hiroshima and then all the way back before.) If there were say some cool electronics or R&D facilities to see somewhere AND there were some interesting attractions nearby, say a castle, then I'd visit it.

Anyhow, thanks for all the suggestions. The points are all mostly moot now as I've decided to have 4 full days in Japan and 3 full days in Korea (first time to Korea for me, too bad Seoul Motor Show was 1/2 year ago). I bought airplane tix the night before. This trip was almost spur of the moment so I was trying to decide on whether to go to Japan at all, for how long and where else I should go if I were to make the trip.

At least, I'll have some more info for the 5th visit to Japan.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by cwerdna
Hahaha, I'm a he.
Somehow I guessed you might be, but I was making a general point.
I hate to use "they" as a pronoun to go with "someone"
Old Oct 21, 2009, 1:30 pm

Don't know if the OP is still following this, but I'd enthusiastically recommend a trip to Takayama. The train trip there goes through wonderful Japanese Alps scenery, and the town is unspoiled and traditional, has a number of attractions like a folk museum, traditional houses that you can visit, etc., and there are other traditional villages in the area.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cha-cha-cha
Don't know if the OP is still following this, but I'd enthusiastically recommend a trip to Takayama. The train trip there goes through wonderful Japanese Alps scenery, and the town is unspoiled and traditional, has a number of attractions like a folk museum, traditional houses that you can visit, etc., and there are other traditional villages in the area.
Yeah, it was on my list. I'm sort of following this again after discovering that almost all non-Japanese automakers aren't showing up to Tokyo Motor Show this time. From glancing at the map, it looks like it's going to be 1/2 the size or less than previous TMSes. I think my stay there will be shorter than the past.

I was feeling out canceling my trip but having to forfeit $250 as a penalty is not appealing so the trip's still on.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 9:37 am
Original Poster

The showroom at Nissan HQ never struck me as all that fancy, although it always has a dozen or so cars on display... The Ginza gallery on Harumi (as mentioned by IMOA) is more "fancy", but smaller: http://www.nissan.co.jp/GALLERY/GINZA/access.html
Unfortunately, I found out today that the larger gallery has moved to Yokohama. The woman at the Ginza gallery said it moved ~6 months ago and then the light bulb came on. I recall reading about Nissan moving their HQ to Yokohama.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.