Y Seats on JL 767

Old Sep 28, 09, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (and 3mm), SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Virtuoso, FSPP
Y Seats on JL 767

I'm on my way back from a AA MR to SGN (sitting in the NRT AC now). I was able to fly in F or J entirely except for NRT-SGN on JL. I don't know if it was just the drastic change from J to Y, but those coach seats seemed to be tighter than usual (at least compared to AA Y). I'm speaking of knee/legroom specifically; I'm a skinny guy so I don't usually notice seat width, but my legs are all cramped up.

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon or am I just crazy?
Old Sep 28, 09, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope, it's not you, it's the insanely tight JAL seat pitch. JAL 777s and 747s aren't all that much better in coach, but typically there are more empty seats on those larger planes, so more room to sit diagonally with an empty seat next to you.

I can still remember my last JAL 767 trip in coach (NRT-SIN-NRT) and even though it was about three years ago, my legs hurt just thinking about it. Not an empty seat on the plane and no room to stretch.
Old Sep 28, 09, 10:45 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
Nope, it's not you, it's the insanely tight JAL seat pitch. JAL 777s and 747s aren't all that much better in coach, but typically there are more empty seats on those larger planes, so more room to sit diagonally with an empty seat next to you.

I can still remember my last JAL 767 trip in coach (NRT-SIN-NRT) and even though it was about three years ago, my legs hurt just thinking about it. Not an empty seat on the plane and no room to stretch.
But this is still better than having a 200+ lbs lady sitting right in front of you on AA's 767 . Just get off an AA JFK-SFO flight with a overweigh lady sitting in front of me. The seat hits my knee EVERY time she moved. My knees still hurt And I saw similar sized lady on my SFO-JFK flight too
Old Sep 28, 09, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
But this is still better than having a 200+ lbs lady sitting right in front of you on AA's 767 . Just get off an AA JFK-SFO flight with a overweigh lady sitting in front of me. The seat hits my knee EVERY time she moved. My knees still hurt And I saw similar sized lady on my SFO-JFK flight too
LOL! I can picture this exactly (and unfortunately). I've been off of the plane for 5 hours now and my thighs are still hurting. I think I'm gonna go get a massage before I have to get back on the plane.

FWIW I'm seriously rethinking any future MR plans that include JL Y seats. Ugh! Just not worth it!
Old Sep 28, 09, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by challett View Post
LOL! I can picture this exactly (and unfortunately). I've been off of the plane for 5 hours now and my thighs are still hurting. I think I'm gonna go get a massage before I have to get back on the plane.

FWIW I'm seriously rethinking any future MR plans that include JL Y seats. Ugh! Just not worth it!
As an AA elite, you could have reserved the exit row with eligible fare
Old Sep 28, 09, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Ah yes... the eligible fares. Well if that was the case I also probably could have upgraded using JL Miles. But unfortunately my N class was... well... not.
Old Sep 29, 09, 2:24 am

Ah yes... the eligible fares. Well if that was the case I also probably could have upgraded using JL Miles. But unfortunately my N class was... well... not.
Yes the next higher booking class would qualify for both (assuming you are flying from the US to Asia). But even with N fare you can still do an online checkin and pre-select those seats if they are still available. Did you check 72 hours before your departing time?
Old Sep 29, 09, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond
Even on tickets bought from aa.com and aa flt numbers?

I tried to pull up my reservation (made on aa.com) on the JAL site. It shows all the aa segments but none of the JL operated flights. You'd think it would be the other way around. JAL says only AA can change seats if purchased through them.
Old Sep 29, 09, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by tkelvin69 View Post
Even on tickets bought from aa.com and aa flt numbers?

I tried to pull up my reservation (made on aa.com) on the JAL site. It shows all the aa segments but none of the JL operated flights. You'd think it would be the other way around. JAL says only AA can change seats if purchased through them.
Is there a separate JL PNR for your JL segment? AA should be able to provide you the number of there is one.
Old Sep 29, 09, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Is there a separate JL PNR for your JL segment? AA should be able to provide you the number of there is one.

I had the same problem. Well except I couldn't get the JAL website to pull up anything. So I called AA for the correct JL PNR to which they replied it was the same. So they called JL who told them that my N fare wasn't eligible for advanced seating. Perhaps I should have challenged it or tried another agent.
Old Sep 29, 09, 4:22 pm

I had the same problem. Well except I couldn't get the JAL website to pull up anything. So I called AA for the correct JL PNR to which they replied it was the same. So they called JL who told them that my N fare wasn't eligible for advanced seating. Perhaps I should have challenged it or tried another agent.
The agent is correct. N fare doesn't qualify for that. But do you qualify for online check-in which allows you to select the seats 72 hours in advance of your departure time.

JL N fare tickets are eligible for online check-in but I am not sure if the same applies to AA codeshare tickets. I think you should have asked the agent if you can do online check-in and HOW if you can't pull up the flight from JL website
Old Sep 29, 09, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

I've never flown JL coach before (and maybe never again) but if I do I'll certainly be better equipped to handle any advanced seating issues.

Thanks for the info.
Old Sep 29, 09, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond
Yes, I used the JL PNR and it didn't show any of the JL segments. Perhaps they don't want me changing seats? Q fare - I got advanced seating on JL from AA but no exit row access.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: