Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade for One World Elites?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2009, 4:50 am

Programs: AA Gold, IHG & Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Tak
Haneda-Gimpo and ICN-NRT were the short flights so I did not upgrade.
If you're JMB Diamond (or even lower), and you have an economy class ticket, you have a very high chance of getting to sit in business class seating on Seoul-Tokyo. Often on these routes JAL will operate long haul aircraft but will not sell all the business class seats as business class. They'll divide business class, allowing elites to sit in the economy service/business class seating section.

It's a nice benefit.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA, AA, KE, OZ Hyatt Platinum, Int Ambassador,
Dont mean to stear away from the topic, but any comment on ICN-NRT route between OZ and JL? I have choice between the two and cant decide which one to take. Both on C.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 8:54 pm

Programs: OW Sapphire - CX MPC Gold, *A GOLD Turkish, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriot/SPG Gold, BW Diamond
Hi ya'll, going to KIX am booked on JL-652 AUG 25th it looks like its pretty full, I have 2 questions:
1. i'm an OW Sapphire, how easy is it to get a seat in a full flight?
2. if i do get a seat what are the chances of an op-up?

Thanks to you all!
b950022
Old Aug 24, 2009, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat
Originally Posted by b950022
Hi ya'll, going to KIX am booked on JL-652 AUG 25th it looks like its pretty full, I have 2 questions:
1. i'm an OW Sapphire, how easy is it to get a seat in a full flight?
2. if i do get a seat what are the chances of an op-up?

Thanks to you all!
b950022
I have flown about 20 JL segments in the last three years. In those 3 years, I was op-up to J with Y service in a 3 class plane from ICN-NRT once.. so I wouldnt keep my hopes up in terms of an op-up.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 8:37 pm

Programs: OW Sapphire - CX MPC Gold, *A GOLD Turkish, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriot/SPG Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by jakeryan1
I have flown about 20 JL segments in the last three years. In those 3 years, I was op-up to J with Y service in a 3 class plane from ICN-NRT once.. so I wouldnt keep my hopes up in terms of an op-up.
Thanks for ur reply.

Just an update, my seat was cleared and luckily i got and upgrade as well, so thank you JAL... i love Japanese Meals.

Fingers crossed for an op-up on my return flight, JA-651 on Aug. 30.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 8:39 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by b950022
Thanks for ur reply.

Just an update, my seat was cleared and luckily i got and upgrade as well, so thank you JAL... i love Japanese Meals.

Fingers crossed for an op-up on my return flight, JA-651 on Aug. 30.
Congrats! Looks like there are more op-up's lately. It must be due to the economy
Old Feb 16, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
I'll be interested on what happens for my wife (AA PLT) and I (AA EXP) on a upcoming trip to/from NRT/SIN. I have been upgraded exactly once about 4 years ago so not expecting much but Y is looking to be quite full on both flights and there are quite a few J seats available, especially on the return flight. Will report back.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Same situation here. Husband is exp I'm plat. Flying hkg to nrt last week increased n class AA code share so couldnt even advance selects seats. When we checked in they had allocated bulkhead coach probably bests seats in coach but no upgrade. Both cabins were fairly empty. Several years ago we were upgraded on a nrt to icn flight but no dice this time around.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 7:50 am

Location: Scarsdale, NY USA; LT PLT AA; AA 3 mm (4 mm will never happen); Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, AA is clueless why I fly
Pay at gate for upgrade?

Has anyone had the experience where JAL has seats in Business and will offer at the gate to upgrade OW Elites (or anyone for that matter) for a reduced cost?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 8:13 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by jaynyc
Has anyone had the experience where JAL has seats in Business and will offer at the gate to upgrade OW Elites (or anyone for that matter) for a reduced cost?
Not that I am aware of
Old Mar 1, 2013, 2:33 pm

How about upped J to F on an AAward ticket ORD-NRT?

Wishful thinking
Old Mar 1, 2013, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by zznoname
How about upped J to F on an AAward ticket ORD-NRT?

Wishful thinking
One should never expect, but one never knows. This did actually happen to me, way back in 2000, I think - Discounted Y ticket on AA ORD-NRT, upgraded to J with miles (and I think this might have been before the co-pays came in). Chaos at ORD due to a blizzard led to further upgrade to F on JAL.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, TK Elite
Just got an op-up on NRT-ICN (AA Emerald, Y fare). Sure it's a short flight but enjoyed the wider seat and decent sushi.

The availability a few days out was very limited in both cabins (something like C1 Y5 etc) although the seat map was wide open. They probably oversold Y quite a bit by cheap coach tickets expecting to op-up elites and higher fares. I was booted from my exit row seat a day before the flight and AA couldn't check me in, so I kind of knew I had been op-upped.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I'll be interested on what happens for my wife (AA PLT) and I (AA EXP) on a upcoming trip to/from NRT/SIN. I have been upgraded exactly once about 4 years ago so not expecting much but Y is looking to be quite full on both flights and there are quite a few J seats available, especially on the return flight. Will report back.
No Dice!!
Old Mar 16, 2013, 4:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist,
Originally Posted by MtRoot
Just got an op-up on NRT-ICN (AA Emerald, Y fare). Sure it's a short flight but enjoyed the wider seat and decent sushi.

The availability a few days out was very limited in both cabins (something like C1 Y5 etc) although the seat map was wide open. They probably oversold Y quite a bit by cheap coach tickets expecting to op-up elites and higher fares. I was booted from my exit row seat a day before the flight and AA couldn't check me in, so I kind of knew I had been op-upped.
I believe the Fare Class matters too. I have been Op-ed up 2x in 20 flights and both were Y. I believe Discount or Deep discount economy has very little chance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.