Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JFK - NRT in F Class - Seats Question (Obsolete - Closed)

Old Jul 12, 07, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Advantage Gold, s

I am scheduled to fly on Flight 47 in F on January 8th and I wanted to know if the new F Seats have been implemented on this route.

I also have a newbie question. Will I be able to confirm JAL seats once I confirm my itinerary with AA. I am trying to go to MNL in F before this date but have had no luck in catch a seat. I know I can select the seats for the AA part of my flight HNL - DFW - LGA in F class already.

I have not been able to find a website with the seating layout of JAL airlines. I assume they have many configurations and that is why seatguru does not have them posted.
Old Jul 12, 07, 3:49 pm

An (unoficial) website with JAL's seatmaps can be found here http://hiro2s.com/AirCraft/jal/2006map/jal.htm

They seem to be current as of 2006 though I'm not sure if JAL have added/removed any configurations since then. As for which configuration you will have, some in the past have recommended calling JAL directly and just asking.
Old Jul 12, 07, 4:51 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JohnNova View Post
I am trying to go to MNL in F before this date but have had no luck in catch a seat.
JAL has no F service NRT-MNL. 2 class 747, operated by JALways.

Seatmap is something like this:

http://hiro2s.com/AirCraft/jal/2006map/s05.htm
Old Jul 13, 07, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Advantage Gold, s
No, I know that there is no F class from HKG - MNL as this flight is rather short so I guess that would explain why. I am talking about Flight 47 from NYC - HKG in route to MNL.
Old Jul 14, 07, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver, MU Gold, CX Green, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
No, I know that there is no F class from HKG - MNL as this flight is rather short so I guess that would explain why. I am talking about Flight 47 from NYC - HKG in route to MNL.
F is available on CX HKG-MNL.
Old Jul 14, 07, 6:03 pm

Programs: JAL JGC/Diamond, IC RA
I am scheduled to fly on Flight 47 in F on January 8th and I wanted to know if the new F Seats have been implemented on this route.
Unfortunately the current JL web site information does not show JL47 on the list of new Skysleeper Solo's routes.

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inflight/inter/first/f_seat/

JAL NEW SKYSLEEPER SOLO' Applicable routes
Narita-New York route JL 006/005
Narita-London route JL 401/402
Narita- Chicago route JL 010/009
Narita- Paris route JL 405/406
Narita- Frankfurt route JL 407/408
Narita- Los Angeles route JL 062/061
*Operating aircraft is subject to change without prior notice.
Old Jul 15, 07, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LTP, Le Club Accor hotels Plat
I'm trying to book an award for 2 on JAL from JFK to NRT using AA miles in November, but I'm about to give up as there are zero avaialable seats the entire month. In fact I found only one seat from MidAugust through the end of the year.

But I'm still curious about the new vs. old question. The new seats certainly look cooler, but often that does not translate to being more comfortable. For those that have flown both... any thoughts?
Old Jul 16, 07, 5:20 am

Programs: JAL JGC/Diamond, IC RA
Originally Posted by schriste View Post

But I'm still curious about the new vs. old question. The new seats certainly look cooler, but often that does not translate to being more comfortable. For those that have flown both... any thoughts?
Both are equally comfortable IMO, but the new Solo is a lot more fun.

The only weak point of the new Solo may be that when you are flying with your companion, you might find your seats too far apart from each other (the name Solo says it all).

If you enjoy chatting in your seats with your companion, then the old Skysleeper(JL047/048, JL007/008) may be the answer.

kojiro
Old Nov 8, 07, 3:05 pm

I can't find seatmap for JL005/006 JFK-NRT-JFK. How is the F cabin laid out? Is it 1-2-1? How many F seats are there? Any suggestions for 2 people travelling together on this new F cabin?
Old Nov 8, 07, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by broadwayboy View Post
I can't find seatmap for JL005/006 JFK-NRT-JFK. How is the F cabin laid out? Is it 1-2-1? How many F seats are there? Any suggestions for 2 people travelling together on this new F cabin?
Use the link that's provided below and click on L04:

http://hiro2s.com/JAL.htm

You will see that the name Solo says it all, no companion seats.

My only suggestion is to have Row 1 or 5G/5H. It's not really a new cabin, since this seat has been around since just after 9-11.
Old Nov 10, 07, 11:10 am

In your guys opinion, what sets JAL F apart from AA F?

I am scheduled to go JFK-NRT-JFK in AA (flagship suite) with my partner and am torn between AA and JAL. As of now, AA has the edge of better schedule and 2 seats together.

It seems to me that seats are pretty equal. Do they offer amenity kit in JAL F? Pyjamas? Duvet? Do they have AVOD system? I know it's still airline food - but how is it compared to AA's food?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by CX_First View Post
Use the link that's provided below and click on L04:

http://hiro2s.com/JAL.htm

You will see that the name Solo says it all, no companion seats.

My only suggestion is to have Row 1 or 5G/5H. It's not really a new cabin, since this seat has been around since just after 9-11.

Last edited by broadwayboy; Nov 12, 07 at 9:24 am
Old Nov 12, 07, 9:20 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
In your guys opinion, what sets JAL F apart from AA F?
The flight attendants are actually nice on JAL. And also extremely professional and attentive.

It seems to me that seats are pretty equal. Do they offer amenity kit in JAL F? Pyjamas? Duvet? Do they AVOD system? I know it's still airline food - but how is it compared to AA's food?

Thanks!
I've never flown in the Flagship Suite so can't comment. I can say about the JAL SkySleeper Solo that it is an excellent seat, BUT I don't find it comfortable for sleeping. The reason is that when the seat is flat, the gap between the seat back and the cushion is very noticeable, and I found that the bottom of the seat back was pressing into my back and was quite uncomfortable. In fact I find JAL's "shell flat seat" in J class more comfortable for sleeping, even thought it is at an angle (because the surface is smoother and less lumpy).

Does JAL offer an amenity kit? Yes. And a very nice one at that.

Pajamas: Yes

Duvet: Yes

AVOD: Yes

Food: Excellent. I've never experienced AA F food, but given all the Flyertalkers who say AA F food is barely better than AA J food (which I have experienced), I will guess that JAL F food is better.
Old Nov 12, 07, 9:25 am

Wow, I think this comment here just convinced me to stick with AA. Thanks!

"BUT I don't find it comfortable for sleeping. The reason is that when the seat is flat, the gap between the seat back and the cushion is very noticeable, and I found that the bottom of the seat back was pressing into my back and was quite uncomfortable. In fact I find JAL's "shell flat seat" in J class more comfortable for sleeping, even thought it is at an angle (because the surface is smoother and less lumpy"
Old Nov 13, 07, 2:33 pm

In June I flew AA F DFW-NRT in Suites, then JAL F, NRT - LAX in Solo.

I thought they were both very good products. The one thing that AA has is that traveling with partner, you can talk to them in the middle seats.

However, service and food were much better on JAL. If all things are equal I would pick JAL over AA.

The only thing that is bad, IMHO, is that on JAL there are no air vents and I found the cabin going from warm to cold all the time.
Old Nov 14, 07, 2:05 pm

JL F (newest) = good for sleep if you're less than 5'10".
It does not really feel "flat" in the sense that others do (like those older 2 by 2 seats), a tad lumpy.
The skysleeper solos are not actually "new", they've been out for over 5 years.

JL's food is excellent but a bit strange to the western palate, even with the "western" menu, in my opinion. Example: breakfast = french toast, green salad, and dried fruit in jelly.

If you fly JL F you will be with mostly Japanese businessmen. You will NOT see JL employees up there, a la US airlines style.

Last edited by Flyingfox; Nov 14, 07 at 2:14 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: