JL is next announcement from NRT-MIA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2007, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
JL is next announcement from NRT-MIA

Hi all,

I have heard over onto the a.net means JL will next major announcement city is: MIA. It would be equipment is 747-400 or 777-300ER. I don't know which one JL will put on the 77W. I was browsing onto the a.net today that I have found out Japan Air Lines is next major routes from NRT-MIA. It would better off to put on AA codeshare with JL. Anything specific information with JL is rumors next major new routes from NRT-MIA. Thanks all!

Regards
Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:50 pm

Programs: BA/BD Gold, UA Silver
I doubt they would use a daily 744. They already serve MEX a few times a week via YVR, so I'm not sure what traffic they think would connect into MIA that wouldn't just connect into MEX. Surely there can't be enough O&D to warrant a daily 744 or 773 to MIA??
Old Feb 19, 2007, 9:20 am

Programs: AA 1MM, AF Plat, VS Gold, Hyatt Glob, Sixt Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by SEAUAKID
I doubt they would use a daily 744. They already serve MEX a few times a week via YVR, so I'm not sure what traffic they think would connect into MIA that wouldn't just connect into MEX. Surely there can't be enough O&D to warrant a daily 744 or 773 to MIA??
Miami is one of American Airlines' biggest hubs; Mexico City is not. A nonstop NRT-MIA would open up connecting service on American to a huge number of cities in Latin America and the Caribbean. I dont know how much demand there is in Japan for flights to the Caribbean and Latin America but considering JL is joining oneworld, it is not far fetched to think that JL could support a daily flight to Miami. That being said, I'd trust info from FT insiders before I trust most of the info posted on a.net.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 7:20 am

Programs: AA Gold, IHG & Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
And don't forget Florida itself. Miami has pretty good O/D traffic, and nobody flies that route presently. The cruise industry could also benefit from a steady influx of Japanese passengers.

It's quite a long route. I think it would be JAL's longest flight.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 1:41 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
This is not confirmed, but JAL is considering moving their NRT-GRU flight from a JFK stopover to an MIA stopover. The two reasons are the sudden overcapacity in the JFK-GRU market (TAM and Delta have joined in the past year, adding three daily flights) and JAL's now stronger ties with American Airlines and oneWorld. It would be 3x a week, with a 744, if it happens.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold, IHG & Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Would you believe that NRT-MIA-GRU is ever so slightly longer than NRT-JFK-GRU? Great circle distances are strange things.

How about NRT-MIA-EZE (Buenos Aires)? Or NRT-MEX-SCL (to tie up with LAN Chile and get cargo to/from Santiago)?
Old Feb 21, 2007, 8:26 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by sipples
Would you believe that NRT-MIA-GRU is ever so slightly longer than NRT-JFK-GRU? Great circle distances are strange things.

How about NRT-MIA-EZE (Buenos Aires)? Or NRT-MEX-SCL (to tie up with LAN Chile and get cargo to/from Santiago)?
I doubt EZE or SCL would generate enough traffic to work. Brazil, however, has a fairly large ethnic-Japanese population, and a big enough population and economy in general to make such a flight worthwhile, which is why JAL will continue to offer the flight. As for a LAN tie-up - they can reach SCL by codesharing or forwarding cargo onto LAN's services between SCL and GRU, LAX, JFK - and soon MIA. I suppose they could also codeshare BA's tag-on GRU-EZE flights (part of LHR-GRU-EZE v.v.) and cover the Argentine market that way.

Connection opportunities will only take a route to far, there also has to be O/D demand, which I just don't see an adequate amount of to/from EZE or SCL, while we know that GRU has worked for JAL in the past.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 11:14 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
NRT-MIA will be a good route for xONEx's.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by alex0683de
I doubt EZE or SCL would generate enough traffic to work. Brazil, however, has a fairly large ethnic-Japanese population, and a big enough population and economy in general to make such a flight worthwhile....
Indeed, i'm sure I read somewhere recently that after Japan itself Brazil has the highest population of Japenese people in the world.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 3:27 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by sdorling
Indeed, i'm sure I read somewhere recently that after Japan itself Brazil has the highest population of Japenese people in the world.
It does, and it works both ways.

Sao Paulo has the largest Japanese community in the world outside Japan, while Nagoya has the largest Brazilian community in the world outside Brazil.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.