JAL Oversell Experiences?

Old Feb 17, 07, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

JAL Oversell Experiences?

I did a search, but couldn't come up with very much.

I'm on JAL 1 on 3/3 from SFO-NRT, and currently it's showing no availability in any class on Expert Flyer and the JAL website won't let you buy a ticket for the flight.

I know it's still a ways out, but does anyone have any experience with JAL oversells? Specificially, I'm on an unrestricted ticket and would prefer an extra day in SF, but I do need to get back to Japan, and my office wouldn't be thrilled if I just decided to come back a day late on my own. If I got "bumped"...well then who knows

The flight the next day is looking wide open, so I assume they wouldn't have any problem accomodating pax on that.

Thanks,

Alex
Old Feb 17, 07, 11:01 pm

Programs: A3 Silver, DL Silver, IHG Platinum
Don't count on getting bumped.

I've been on the phone with a corporate travel agent and asked for a "waitlist" booking for a "sold out" flight. Before the call ended the booking cleared, and I bought the ticket. I think this is fairly common, that JAL will hold back a few seats for their preferred travel agents. Sold out flights really aren't, from what I can tell.

I've had other waitlist bookings. Only one didn't clear, but I didn't give it much time since I had to change flights anyway. A couple days ago I arrived at the airport to stand by for an earlier "sold out" flight. I ended up with a perfectly fine aisle seat and a boarding pass right away.
Old Feb 18, 07, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sipples View Post
Don't count on getting bumped.

I've been on the phone with a corporate travel agent and asked for a "waitlist" booking for a "sold out" flight. Before the call ended the booking cleared, and I bought the ticket. I think this is fairly common, that JAL will hold back a few seats for their preferred travel agents. Sold out flights really aren't, from what I can tell.

I've had other waitlist bookings. Only one didn't clear, but I didn't give it much time since I had to change flights anyway. A couple days ago I arrived at the airport to stand by for an earlier "sold out" flight. I ended up with a perfectly fine aisle seat and a boarding pass right away.
Somehow I had a feeling that the Japanese carriers might not overbook quite the way that some domestic airlines do...

I actually had a similar experience last week although it was a domestic flight on ANA. I was coming back from Sapporo, and all the flights to Haneda were showing as completely full. Seven minutes before departure, I was able to get a BP on an earlier flight, and even got a window seat in row 7!

Alex

Search this Thread
Search Engine: