Haneda Fast Track security if flying in J

Old Apr 10, 2023, 8:33 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern Ireland
Programs: BA Silver, A3
Posts: 1,099
Haneda Fast Track security if flying in J

We will be departing Haneda on JAL in June. I have read about long queues everywhere.
If flying in Business Class (to BKK) are there Fast Track security facilities?
Stormbel is offline  
Old Apr 10, 2023, 8:36 pm
  #2  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Posts: 16,247
Originally Posted by Stormbel
We will be departing Haneda on JAL in June. I have read about long queues everywhere.
If flying in Business Class (to BKK) are there Fast Track security facilities?
There's no fast track security in HND at the moment. But based on the preivous rules, you don't have access to that.

https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/inter/airport/hnd/info/
Information about Fast Track (Security check priority lane) *Temporarily Closed
First Class passengers, as well as members of JMB Diamond, JGC Premier, JMB Sapphire and JGC, can use the Fast Track priority lane for their security check. (Not applicable for codeshare flights with other airlines.)
JALPak is offline  
Old Apr 12, 2023, 12:09 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Posts: 38
Yep, no fast track at HND unfortunately. Expect long queues I'm afraid
WheelsATC is offline  
Old Apr 12, 2023, 2:25 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brexile / Tokyo
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 181
Lines for outbound security can vary greatly by time and day of the week.
However, I've rarely experienced more than 10 people ahead of me (before the split to separate scanners) since Nov '22.
Inbound immigration for non-citizens/non-residents is where most patience is required...
beckoa likes this.
geronimo is offline  
Old Apr 12, 2023, 6:38 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Posts: 20,646
Originally Posted by geronimo
Lines for outbound security can vary greatly by time and day of the week.
However, I've rarely experienced more than 10 people ahead of me (before the split to separate scanners) since Nov '22.
Inbound immigration for non-citizens/non-residents is where most patience is required...
You have been lucky I have seen the security line stretch out past the check-in island and the swing and stretch back to the H check-in island.
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old Apr 12, 2023, 7:17 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Posts: 38
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
You have been lucky I have seen the security line stretch out past the check-in island and the swing and stretch back to the H check-in island.
me too. Especially at HND. NRT is better.
WheelsATC is offline  
Old Apr 12, 2023, 9:41 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern Ireland
Programs: BA Silver, A3
Posts: 1,099
Flying in about 6 weeks at 11:15 a.m.
To clarify, Business Class check in efficiency and queue length?
Suggestions on time to arrive at airport?
Best or most convenient lounge? Did I read that theres food only on one level of a JAL lounge but 2 levels?
Stormbel is offline  
Old Apr 12, 2023, 12:20 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: East Coast US
Programs: Hyatt: Diamond. Marriott: Platinum. AA: EXP 1MM. Delta: Silver. Etihad: Silver. Emirates Silver
Posts: 387
I just returned from Japan where I was at HND and at NRT. Some observations; I echo the fact that the immigration lines are currently very, very long at HND. I arrived at 6:00AM and already at that time the lines were approximately 1:45 hours long according to the people marshalling the queues, and more flights were arriving and the line was soon going outside of the immigration area and into the arrivals concourse where people get out from the gates. I have Global Entry so as part of that application I also applied for and received the ABTC/APEC card which essentially gives you priority processing and you can skip the lines. There were 3 Priority counters and maybe about 10 people waiting in line. No one checked me as I got into that line. I waited 10 minutes and was called to a desk, officer did not look at my APEC card even though I had it in my hand. I was in Business Class and there was no dedicated Fast Track/Priority line for such passengers. NRT for both arrivals and departures was literally 5 minutes of waiting, very few lines and smooth entry/exit with no stress. The HND lines for arrivals, as mentioned, was nightmarish, there were people there who were trying to hustle to the front of the line due to connections etc. but not sure how that turned out for them. Point to note though, the vast majority of the desks were manned by officers, but it was just the sheer volume of flights and passengers arriving that was putting everything at capacity, also I arrived 10 days ago on a fight that arrived at 4:30PM and while there were lines, it was nothing exceptional or unusual, so it appears that the early morning hours are the most crowded and best to avoid if possible.
yabadoo is offline  
Old Apr 12, 2023, 5:03 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Posts: 20,646
I am starting to remember my thoughts of late 2019, Terminal 3 in Haneda is just not big enough for the number of passengers they want to send through it.

Departure security was a problem prepandemic not as bad as now, because they used the north security as well. Which they rarely do now.

Arrivals was bad at times pre-pandemic, but it seems to have become a permanent fixture, people say all booths are manned, which I have not looked for, but that would indicate that despite VJW pre registration and doing the finger prints and photo while waiting in line, processing is slower than before?

In 2019, I started being more happy using Narita, as it was just a much more relaxed experience. For arrivals currently, it does seem to be the same mess for visitors. But departures is just much better as Narita has facilities the size of the passenger numbers. For arrivals, Narita for some reason even at the worst crush seem to only use one of the immigration halls, so they certainly have the option to process people faster, question is if the ministry has assigned enough staff.
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old Apr 12, 2023, 6:57 pm
  #10  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Posts: 16,247
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I am starting to remember my thoughts of late 2019, Terminal 3 in Haneda is just not big enough for the number of passengers they want to send through it.

Departure security was a problem prepandemic not as bad as now, because they used the north security as well. Which they rarely do now.

Arrivals was bad at times pre-pandemic, but it seems to have become a permanent fixture, people say all booths are manned, which I have not looked for, but that would indicate that despite VJW pre registration and doing the finger prints and photo while waiting in line, processing is slower than before?

In 2019, I started being more happy using Narita, as it was just a much more relaxed experience. For arrivals currently, it does seem to be the same mess for visitors. But departures is just much better as Narita has facilities the size of the passenger numbers. For arrivals, Narita for some reason even at the worst crush seem to only use one of the immigration halls, so they certainly have the option to process people faster, question is if the ministry has assigned enough staff.
Are they using the mobile kiosks at HND too? NRT was better than HND pre-COVID in terms of security check. You can't beat the dedicated JAL express lane which is always empty vs the one for all airlines in HND.
JALPak is offline  
Old Apr 12, 2023, 9:48 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern Ireland
Programs: BA Silver, A3
Posts: 1,099
To clarify. I will be DEPARTING HND. I am getting confused with people writing about arriving, which I'm sort of prepared for.
​​Surely Immigration queues doesn't affect me? It's queuing at Check in, Passport check and Security. Is departing that awful too?
roberto99 likes this.
Stormbel is offline  
Old Apr 12, 2023, 9:58 pm
  #12  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Posts: 16,247
Originally Posted by Stormbel
To clarify. I will be DEPARTING HND. I am getting confused with people writing about arriving, which I'm sort of prepared for.
​​Surely Immigration queues doesn't affect me? It's queuing at Check in, Passport check and Security. Is departing that awful too?
See it yourself.

Late night:

Morning:
JALPak is offline  
Old Apr 12, 2023, 10:34 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Posts: 20,646
Originally Posted by JALPak
Are they using the mobile kiosks at HND too? NRT was better than HND pre-COVID in terms of security check. You can't beat the dedicated JAL express lane which is always empty vs the one for all airlines in HND.
I am not sure the dedicated JAL security line in Narita has reopened yet. But it was indeed a pleasure.
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old Apr 12, 2023, 11:05 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern Ireland
Programs: BA Silver, A3
Posts: 1,099
Edited

I am astonished with such an efficient country but you do love queues!

Looks like need to arrive 4 hours before departure or more.
Maybe this is peak season? Praying that mid June will be better but realise that's unlikely.

Last edited by Stormbel; Apr 12, 2023 at 11:24 pm
Stormbel is offline  
Old Apr 13, 2023, 2:41 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brexile / Tokyo
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 181
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
You have been lucky I have seen the security line stretch out past the check-in island and the swing and stretch back to the H check-in island.
Yes, these pics come as something of a surprise as they don't correspond to any scenario that I have seen, even as recently as Sat PM when family were departing from T3. Hopefully, re-opening North Security and Fast track would/will be transformative.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I am starting to remember my thoughts of late 2019, Terminal 3 in Haneda is just not big enough for the number of passengers they want to send through it.
Presumably, the situation might also improve when/if ANA finally shift some international flights to T1.
geronimo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.