Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences flying JL to CGK recently?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2022, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Experiences flying JL to CGK recently?

Hi all,

Has anyone recently flew JAL to CGK? Moreso, I’m curious how JL check-in and ground staff are with verifying the requirements needed to enter Indonesia. Currently, one needs to have proof of vaccination and download and register the Indonesian health app PeduliLindungi. Theoretically, one could upload a foreign vaccine to the app, however in practice it seems it doesn’t work for 9 out of 10 foreigners and most people are fine showing their foreign vaccine cards. However, I’ve read numerous stories of check in agents (not JL) interpreting the requirement to have PeduliLindungi downloaded and registered as meaning have ones vaccination accepted by the app (which, I want to emphasize, is not a requirement by the Indonesian govt), and subsequently denying boarding. How have the JL check in agents been interpreting this regulation? For what it’s worth, my itinerary is JFK-NRT-CGK. Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Aug 5, 2022, 8:55 am

Following as I'm interested to know of first hand experiences.

From what I've read on the TripAdvisor forums, you only need to present the physical CDC vaccine card and have the app downloaded (don't even need to register).
Old Aug 5, 2022, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I have not flown to Jakarta, but generally JAL will check timatic in great detail, so if the text there is ambiguous there might be a bit of back and forth. They do probably lean to the more strict side of enterpretations, at least when departing from Tokyo.
fender5787 and Ghoulish like this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by fender5787
Hi all,

Has anyone recently flew JAL to CGK? Moreso, I’m curious how JL check-in and ground staff are with verifying the requirements needed to enter Indonesia. Currently, one needs to have proof of vaccination and download and register the Indonesian health app PeduliLindungi. Theoretically, one could upload a foreign vaccine to the app, however in practice it seems it doesn’t work for 9 out of 10 foreigners and most people are fine showing their foreign vaccine cards. However, I’ve read numerous stories of check in agents (not JL) interpreting the requirement to have PeduliLindungi downloaded and registered as meaning have ones vaccination accepted by the app (which, I want to emphasize, is not a requirement by the Indonesian govt), and subsequently denying boarding. How have the JL check in agents been interpreting this regulation? For what it’s worth, my itinerary is JFK-NRT-CGK. Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
We flew AA/JL to Indonesia in late May. No one checked for the Peduli Lindungi app, though we had it. We just had to show our CDC vaccination card at DFW for AA, and at NRT for JL.

When we arrived at CGK, the airport staff said the app wasn’t working, so we just showed our CDC cards again.
night718 and fender5787 like this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I have not flown to Jakarta, but generally JAL will check timatic in great detail, so if the text there is ambiguous there might be a bit of back and forth. They do probably lean to the more strict side of enterpretations, at least when departing from Tokyo.
If the JL staff just follow what timatic says, I’ll be fine. Based on the iata travel center, the only requirement for the app is to have it downloaded. However, what worries me is that JL sent an email directing pax to the Sherpa webpage to see entry requirements of their destination and it’s wording about Indonesia and the PeduliLindungi app/vaccination is much more ambiguous. Here’s a screenshot:
Old Aug 6, 2022, 7:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Needed app but not vax registered ( via ORD/NRT late June)

I flew LGA-ORD-NRT-CGK on June 20. Was asked if I had the app but not if my vax was registered ( and yes I tried to register well in advance but my registration wasn’t accepted). Had to show vax card on arrival.

btw if you are doing visa on arrival, get off the plane and into line as quickly as possible and bring exact change ($35 usd) if possible.
fender5787 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 10:39 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I flew to Jakarta last weekend. There were signs about the app but the QR code wasn’t even working so when we got to the desk to check app I just handed my vax card and inbound ticket for approval. I then went over to pay the VOA fee and then immigration.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cthunder86
I flew to Jakarta last weekend. There were signs about the app but the QR code wasn’t even working so when we got to the desk to check app I just handed my vax card and inbound ticket for approval. I then went over to pay the VOA fee and then immigration.
Yeah I understand once in CGK the process is super easy and the Indonesian officials understand that the app is pretty rubbish. My main concern is being denied boarding at my origin due to a check in agent misinterpreting the rules.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 1:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Yeah I understand once in CGK the process is super easy and the Indonesian officials understand that the app is pretty rubbish. My main concern is being denied boarding at my origin due to a check in agent misinterpreting the rules.
They never asked me. This was at BKK with JAL so they could be stricter on the US side.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Just want to follow up, JL check in staff at JFK didn’t even look at the app. All they wanted to see was my vax card and wanted to make sure I had a return ticket. Guess my fear was unwarranted…lol
night718 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Just want to follow up, JL check in staff at JFK didn’t even look at the app. All they wanted to see was my vax card and wanted to make sure I had a return ticket. Guess my fear was unwarranted…lol
It’s not a big deal lately.

You’re right to check on it, though. When we flew to CGK in March 2020, rules were changing day by day. We had to call the DC Indonesian consulate for me to be able to board. Very stressful, but we had all the latest government decrees. I had permanent residency at that point.

Have a good vacation!
Old Aug 7, 2022, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
It’s not a big deal lately.

You’re right to check on it, though. When we flew to CGK in March 2020, rules were changing day by day. We had to call the DC Indonesian consulate for me to be able to board. Very stressful, but we had all the latest government decrees. I had permanent residency at that point.

Have a good vacation!
Thanks!! Yeah the ambiguity and the de facto power of check in agents to deny boarding is what had me concerned…along with numerous reports of denied boarding due to one’s vax cert not being accepted by PeduliLindungi (Tbf most of these were for SQ agents at LHR). And as one that’s never flown JL long haul, I figured I’d rather be safe than sorry esp for a carrier known to follow rules to a T. But luckily all is well!
Old Aug 8, 2022, 8:23 pm

Thanks!! Yeah the ambiguity and the de facto power of check in agents to deny boarding is what had me concerned…along with numerous reports of denied boarding due to one’s vax cert not being accepted by PeduliLindungi (Tbf most of these were for SQ agents at LHR). And as one that’s never flown JL long haul, I figured I’d rather be safe than sorry esp for a carrier known to follow rules to a T. But luckily all is well!
What was your experience upon landing at CGK? Did they give you a hard time since you did not have the app certification or were you ok with proof of app download and the CDC card? Will be flying the same JFK-NRT-CGK route in a few weeks.

Also wondering if anyone has flown domestically within Indonesia without a booster (third) shot. I see the following on the embassy website:

"Domestic travelers who have received only two doses of vaccine (no booster) are required to show proof of a negative rapid antigen test taken within 24 hours or RT-PCR taken within 72 hours of departure. Travelers with only two doses may be required by Indonesian authorities to receive a booster does while traveling."

Wondering how easy it is to find a rapid test to take and if they will really require you to take a shot on the spot?
Old Aug 16, 2022, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lbelkin22
What was your experience upon landing at CGK? Did they give you a hard time since you did not have the app certification or were you ok with proof of app download and the CDC card? Will be flying the same JFK-NRT-CGK route in a few weeks.

Also wondering if anyone has flown domestically within Indonesia without a booster (third) shot. I see the following on the embassy website:

"Domestic travelers who have received only two doses of vaccine (no booster) are required to show proof of a negative rapid antigen test taken within 24 hours or RT-PCR taken within 72 hours of departure. Travelers with only two doses may be required by Indonesian authorities to receive a booster does while traveling."

Wondering how easy it is to find a rapid test to take and if they will really require you to take a shot on the spot?
Appologies for the late reply. It all worked out well for me. No problem at all with the lack off the vax verification on the app, cdc card (or even my digital excelsior ny vax pass) worked. But yes, for domestic flights you have to show proof of booster.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 8:46 am

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.