Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

AA-JL followed by separate JL - can baggage be checked through?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2022, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM

I am planning the following itinerary: XXX (US) - American Airlines - YYY (US) - Japan Airlines - HND - Japan Airlines - KIX.

The first 2 segments (XXX-YYY-HND) are ticketed separately from the final segment (HND-KIX). I had initially understood that if I tried to check my bag at XXX all the way to KIX, the American Airlines representative would likely say no, however that's fine since my bag can be carried on.

Then I saw that despite the OneWorld rule change taking away baggage through check on separate tickets, Japan Airlines still endeavors to do this whenever possible:

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/inter/161003.html

Does this mean that if I approach the JL check-in representative at YYY (the international departure point), they would be more likely to check the bag through to KIX?

Edit: not sure if class of service matters - first 2 segments in domestic first / JL business; last segment to KIX still pending booking but could be economy or business.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 8:19 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by kamadzu4
I am planning the following itinerary: XXX (US) - American Airlines - YYY (US) - Japan Airlines - HND - Japan Airlines - KIX.

The first 2 segments (XXX-YYY-HND) are ticketed separately from the final segment (HND-KIX). I had initially understood that if I tried to check my bag at XXX all the way to KIX, the American Airlines representative would likely say no, however that's fine since my bag can be carried on.

Then I saw that despite the OneWorld rule change taking away baggage through check on separate tickets, Japan Airlines still endeavors to do this whenever possible:

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/inter/161003.html

Does this mean that if I approach the JL check-in representative at YYY (the international departure point), they would be more likely to check the bag through to KIX?

Edit: not sure if class of service matters - first 2 segments in domestic first / JL business; last segment to KIX still pending booking but could be economy or business.
Whether they check you through or not you are required to pick up your baggage at HND. Are you concerned about allowance or just not wanting to recheck your bags?
Old Jul 10, 2022, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak
Whether they check you through or not you are required to pick up your baggage at HND. Are you concerned about allowance or just not wanting to recheck your bags?
I didn't know that bags have to be picked up at HND. Is that a general rule in Japan, just like in the US, that at the first port of entry checked bags have to be picked up to go through customs and then can be dropped off again (if tagged through)? Or just an incompatibility with the international-to-domestic connection?

My main concern is that the bag may be larger (and definitely heavier) than the Japan Airlines policies for carry on luggage allow. I doubt this will be enforced for business class passengers departing the US, but might be an issue at HND. I suppose my worst case scenario would be if I was made to leave the secure area, find my way to the check in counter, etc., then re-clear security - I will have slightly more than 3 hours but would prefer to avoid this as the tickets are separate. Hopefully if I made it to the departure gate, the HND gate agent would just confiscate the overiszed bag at the gate and check it in at that point?
Old Jul 10, 2022, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I didn't know that bags have to be picked up at HND. Is that a general rule in Japan, just like in the US, that at the first port of entry checked bags have to be picked up to go through customs and then can be dropped off again (if tagged through)? Or just an incompatibility with the international-to-domestic connection?

My main concern is that the bag may be larger (and definitely heavier) than the Japan Airlines policies for carry on luggage allow. I doubt this will be enforced for business class passengers departing the US, but might be an issue at HND. I suppose my worst case scenario would be if I was made to leave the secure area, find my way to the check in counter, etc., then re-clear security - I will have slightly more than 3 hours but would prefer to avoid this as the tickets are separate. Hopefully if I made it to the departure gate, the HND gate agent would just confiscate the overiszed bag at the gate and check it in at that point?
You will need to go through immigration, claim your luggage, go through customs, and then change terminal and go through security there. Depending on the time of day (and maybe even entirely closed during covid) there is a domestic bag drop in T3 (International), otherwise you will have to bring you luggage to T1 (JAL domestic terminal) yourself, and recheck it there.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Appreciate everyone's knowledge! For a 5:25pm arrival on a weekday, would I be safe with a 1:50 connection (allowing me to get the last flight to ITM) or would I need the full 3.5 hours and be stuck with the less-convenient KIX option (now that I've looked at a map of Osaka)? The JAL website advises at least 1:10 for JAL internation --> JAL domestic, and looking at the JAL transpacific flight's performance over the past week, unfortunately it tends to land a bit late...

Last edited by kamadzu4; Jul 10, 2022 at 10:01 pm
Old Jul 10, 2022, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Appreciate everyone's knowledge! For a 5:25pm arrival on a weekday, would I be safe with a 1:50 connection (allowing me to get the last flight to ITM) or would I need the full 3.5 hours and be stuck with the less-convenient KIX option (now that I've looked at a map of Osaka)? The JAL website advises at least 1:10 for JAL internation --> JAL domestic, and looking at the JAL transpacific flight's performance over the past week, unfortunately it tends to land a bit late...
1h 50m might be over MCT, but it is quite tight. Especially if you are not on a Japanese passport, as immigration can take time. But I am sure JAL will do what they can to rush you through, though the long walks of Haneda these days will not help. But maybe the flow is better by then.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 12:40 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
If you don’t want to go through the hassle at HND, you can just fly LAX-KIX. You baggage will be checked through all the way.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by JALPak
If you don’t want to go through the hassle at HND, you can just fly LAX-KIX. You baggage will be checked through all the way.
Only if the OP is ok with SSIII I believe LAX-KIX is the only US route that uses 789 with SSIII as the regular equipment (other routes use it irregularly ).
Old Jul 11, 2022, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kentauta
Only if the OP is ok with SSIII I believe LAX-KIX is the only US route that uses 789 with SSIII as the regular equipment (other routes use it irregularly ).
Great idea - so much cleaner than having to connect onward on a separate ticket! Changed my award and am now on the direct LAX-KIX. I've flown the Apex Suite window seat before on KE and it's nice in some ways, though I have no problem with the boring old reverse herringbone.

Interestingly, even though this travel is nearly a year away, the seat map is blocking all windows and the entire first row....I guess I'll check back periodically to see if they release the window seats?

Edit: The one other nice thing is that I was probably going to waste many many hours until then checking for F availability to open up. This way, the good (and bad) news is there's no F from the US to KIX.

Last edited by kamadzu4; Jul 11, 2022 at 3:25 pm
Old Jul 11, 2022, 8:19 pm

Great idea - so much cleaner than having to connect onward on a separate ticket! Changed my award and am now on the direct LAX-KIX. I've flown the Apex Suite window seat before on KE and it's nice in some ways, though I have no problem with the boring old reverse herringbone.

Interestingly, even though this travel is nearly a year away, the seat map is blocking all windows and the entire first row....I guess I'll check back periodically to see if they release the window seats?

Edit: The one other nice thing is that I was probably going to waste many many hours until then checking for F availability to open up. This way, the good (and bad) news is there's no F from the US to KIX.
Just to clarify, SkySuite III is NOT Apex Suite, but higher-density reverse herringbone which is generally considered inferior to Sky Suite (Apex Suite). If you don't have access to the window seats now, I don't think that will change until ~3 days before departure.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kentauta
Just to clarify, SkySuite III is NOT Apex Suite, but higher-density reverse herringbone which is generally considered inferior to Sky Suite (Apex Suite). If you don't have access to the window seats now, I don't think that will change until ~3 days before departure.
Good to know re: 3-day rule. I understand the SSIII is not Apex (that’s what I meant by boring reverse herringbone) - it’s still a flat bed and simplifies the itinerary for me. And who knows, maybe there will be an equipment change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.