HND to NRT connection

Old Jun 20, 2022, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum , Hyatt Explorist, Marriott platinum , SPG Gold , Hilton Diamond
HND to NRT connection

Hi guys !

I have a ticket booked from Delhi to US via chase portal . My initial itennery was DEL-HND-DFW(J) . I got email couple of days ago that now flight changed from HND to NRT.Connection time is 4 hours Do you think this is doable. I called JAL to see if they can change my flight from DFW to ORD which flys from HND.JAL said I have to contact travel agency to change my ticket . I contacted chase and they can't change except can refund . Tickets prices are too high to book anything else
Any suggestion how to deal with this. Shall just keep the NRT to HND and take a chance . I checked on website it says I may not be able to enter in Japan.( I have US passport )

Thanks
Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:02 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by shekhar
Hi guys !

I have a ticket booked from Delhi to US via chase portal . My initial itennery was DEL-HND-DFW(J) . I got email couple of days ago that now flight changed from HND to NRT.Connection time is 4 hours Do you think this is doable. I called JAL to see if they can change my flight from DFW to ORD which flys from HND.JAL said I have to contact travel agency to change my ticket . I contacted chase and they can't change except can refund . Tickets prices are too high to book anything else
Any suggestion how to deal with this. Shall just keep the NRT to HND and take a chance . I checked on website it says I may not be able to enter in Japan.( I have US passport )

Thanks
When is your flight? Most foreigners are still not allowed to enter Japan freely so you won't be able to make the airport change unless Japan further reopens its borders. Since this is booked via a travel agent, you will have to contact Chase to handle any pre-departure changes.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum , Hyatt Explorist, Marriott platinum , SPG Gold , Hilton Diamond
Flight is in mid august . Not sure if things will change by then . I have been reading that Japan opened for business travel and groups. Do you think I would be able to change airport . I am planning to travel just with hand baggage

Thanks
Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:18 pm

Flight is in mid august . Not sure if things will change by then . I have been reading that Japan opened for business travel and groups. Do you think I would be able to change airport . I am planning to travel just with hand baggage

Thanks
Do you have a valid business travel visa? As of right now, you won't be able to make such transit.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

thanks that's helpful I won't have any business visa currently

I will change the ticket on safer side. Do you think.i should try HUCA to see if JAL agent will change my ticket to ORD so I can fly from HND since chase can't do it

Thanks
Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:33 pm

thanks that's helpful I won't have any business visa currently

I will change the ticket on safer side. Do you think.i should try HUCA to see if JAL agent will change my ticket to ORD so I can fly from HND since chase can't do it

Thanks
As I have already stated, you need to contact chase. This is issued by a travel agent (chase) so JAL will not touch the reservation before departure.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by JALPak
As I have already stated, you need to contact chase. This is issued by a travel agent (chase) so JAL will not touch the reservation before departure.
Not necessarily true, any airline can and will (in the right circumstances) take control of a ticket from a travel agency. I've had JL take control twice now when I wasn't getting anywhere with the original agency. (different agency both times). One involved a (free) voluntary flight change that the travel agency insisted they couldn't get inventory for. The other was cancelling a segment for partial refund that was no longer flyable near the beginning of the pandemic and the travel agency claimed there was nothing they could do, they would have had me just forfeit the remainder of the ticket. JL was pretty happy to do it both times.

So if I were the OP, if I was getting nowhere with Chase, I'd also be on the phone with JL, explain that you bought a valid transit ticket that was changed by the airline and now you need rerouted to make said valid transit since you can't legally enter Japan to change airports. Chase Travel giving the only choice of full cancellation is absolutely not acceptable. You'll likely need to explain that your travel agent (Chase, which is actually Expedia) refuses to do anything about it, then you can talk JL into taking control and making the change themselves. JL can and (at least sometimes) will book you into full Y or J if necessary to remedy involuntary flight changes like yours.

As a matter of fact, since you're on a paid ticket, I'd push for them to get you to DFW on AA (assuming that's your final destination). JL can fly you to pretty much any of their gateways in the US and connect you on an AA flight. This is a very different situation than if you'd have intentionally booked a NRT / HND transit hoping the country would be open. You booked a totally legal transit and they (JL) changed it, making it an illegal transit.
dw likes this.

Last edited by dvs7310; Jun 22, 2022 at 10:04 am
Old Jun 30, 2022, 8:58 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Not necessarily true, any airline can and will (in the right circumstances) take control of a ticket from a travel agency. I've had JL take control twice now when I wasn't getting anywhere with the original agency. (different agency both times). One involved a (free) voluntary flight change that the travel agency insisted they couldn't get inventory for. The other was cancelling a segment for partial refund that was no longer flyable near the beginning of the pandemic and the travel agency claimed there was nothing they could do, they would have had me just forfeit the remainder of the ticket. JL was pretty happy to do it both times.

So if I were the OP, if I was getting nowhere with Chase, I'd also be on the phone with JL, explain that you bought a valid transit ticket that was changed by the airline and now you need rerouted to make said valid transit since you can't legally enter Japan to change airports. Chase Travel giving the only choice of full cancellation is absolutely not acceptable. You'll likely need to explain that your travel agent (Chase, which is actually Expedia) refuses to do anything about it, then you can talk JL into taking control and making the change themselves. JL can and (at least sometimes) will book you into full Y or J if necessary to remedy involuntary flight changes like yours.

As a matter of fact, since you're on a paid ticket, I'd push for them to get you to DFW on AA (assuming that's your final destination). JL can fly you to pretty much any of their gateways in the US and connect you on an AA flight. This is a very different situation than if you'd have intentionally booked a NRT / HND transit hoping the country would be open. You booked a totally legal transit and they (JL) changed it, making it an illegal transit.
Did you just call up JL reservation line to get them to take over the ticket? Do you think they'd take over an award ticket? I tried calling them yesterday and they routed me to the award ticket line; the woman who answered basically insisted that she couldn't touch it because it was ticketed by AS. Of course, AS can't do anything about it other than request JL open space on NRT-BKK, which JL refused to do.

I'm not sure where to take this; we're still stuck in NRT/HND limbo, which was forced by JL's schedule change.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
Did you just call up JL reservation line to get them to take over the ticket? Do you think they'd take over an award ticket? I tried calling them yesterday and they routed me to the award ticket line; the woman who answered basically insisted that she couldn't touch it because it was ticketed by AS. Of course, AS can't do anything about it other than request JL open space on NRT-BKK, which JL refused to do.

I'm not sure where to take this; we're still stuck in NRT/HND limbo, which was forced by JL's schedule change.
JAL will not manage the changes on an award ticket issued by a partner airline. Unless the schedule change happens close enough to departure that the ticket is in the departure control system. That's not a particular JAL issue, that would go for any airline and a partner award.

When are your flights?
EqualOpp likes this.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Jun 30, 2022 at 5:24 pm
Old Jul 1, 2022, 3:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K

Award tickets are entirely different than revenue tickets. The OP mentioned they booked via the Chase portal, which is actually operated by Expedia (I think it still is, Chase said they were looking for a new vendor earlier this year when I lodged a complaint about Expedia's handling of a change.) Revenue tickets can definitely be taken over by the ticketing airline, the OP also would have almost definitely had a JL 131 ticket as the only other airline likely to show as a codeshare would be AA and I'm pretty sure they route India flights on their own metal or BA metal codeshares. Don't think you'd have an AA codeshare on JL metal from India.

In your case, unfortunately as you found out, AS is the only one who can do anything with your ticket. You have an AS issued 027 ticket. Your situation is quite different from the OP of the thread.
If you change dates does it help? Or arrival airports in the US? JL is still rotating some flights on different days between HND and NRT to allow for connections that only arrive at one airport or the other. Except for that you may be forced to look for something on QR or AA.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 9:22 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
JAL will not manage the changes on an award ticket issued by a partner airline. Unless the schedule change happens close enough to departure that the ticket is in the departure control system. That's not a particular JAL issue, that would go for any airline and a partner award.

When are your flights?
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Award tickets are entirely different than revenue tickets. The OP mentioned they booked via the Chase portal, which is actually operated by Expedia (I think it still is, Chase said they were looking for a new vendor earlier this year when I lodged a complaint about Expedia's handling of a change.) Revenue tickets can definitely be taken over by the ticketing airline, the OP also would have almost definitely had a JL 131 ticket as the only other airline likely to show as a codeshare would be AA and I'm pretty sure they route India flights on their own metal or BA metal codeshares. Don't think you'd have an AA codeshare on JL metal from India.

In your case, unfortunately as you found out, AS is the only one who can do anything with your ticket. You have an AS issued 027 ticket. Your situation is quite different from the OP of the thread.
If you change dates does it help? Or arrival airports in the US? JL is still rotating some flights on different days between HND and NRT to allow for connections that only arrive at one airport or the other. Except for that you may be forced to look for something on QR or AA.
Thanks, guys. Glad to have a definite answer on that, at least.

Original date and routing was 8/19 ORD-HND-BKK. Simple, no drama, about an 8 hour layover in HND, with the connecting flight departing shortly after midnight.
Dates after schedule change are 8/19 ORD-NRT, 8/21 HND-BKK. Connection is currently about 20 hours, with connecting flight departing at 11:15 am. Not that any of this matters since I can't enter Japan to transit.

I had AS request space on JL 707 NRT-BKK on 8/20, but JL rejected it. I tried again yesterday with a request through AS, but I doubt JL will change their minds.

​​​​​​​One thing I could try is JL 711 NRT-SIN on 8/20. Not sure if JL is more likely to grant a space request on that one.

A couple other interesting details:
Y+ is available on NRT-BKK on 8/20, but AS can't book it - they stopped allowing JL Y+ awards several years ago. Something to do with JL ticketing.

The HND-BKK leg, originally booked in U class, is now booked in D, a revenue class. Not sure if there is anything that can be done with that.
​​​​

Last edited by flyingmusicianlax; Jul 1, 2022 at 9:41 am
Old Jul 1, 2022, 4:21 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
The HND-BKK leg, originally booked in U class, is now booked in D, a revenue class. Not sure if there is anything that can be done with that.
​​​​
Understand the current itin doesn't work for you because of the change of airport, but otherwise, I would not do anything about being booked in D. I would be happy to earn miles!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.