Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Pre Selection Meals in F - half western / half japanese

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2022, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat

Flying F back to the US from NRT, flight has dinner and breakfast served.
I want the Japanese dinner, as last time I flew, the Japanese meals were sold out, so I had to eat the western.

This time I want to pre-select Japanese, but does that mean that I will also have to eat the Japanese Breakfast?

Ideally want Japanese dinner and Western breakfast.

Thanks
Old Jun 17, 2022, 9:14 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Unless something has changed, I believe the second meal in F (and J) is really just ordering from the long list of snack/light meal options they have, so you can pick whatever you want. Also, some of the options are shared between F and J, so they should have a greater number loaded.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 12:11 pm

Programs: AC 35K, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, GHA Titanium, HH Gold, Centara Platinum
Originally Posted by dw
Unless something has changed, I believe the second meal in F (and J) is really just ordering from the long list of snack/light meal options they have, so you can pick whatever you want. Also, some of the options are shared between F and J, so they should have a greater number loaded.
I've been flying back and forth over the last 2 years and in F there is always a larger second meal (both Western and Japanese) available as well as a list of smaller food items/snacks. I sometimes pick some stuff off the J menu as well lol. Mainly because J hasn't been very full, I would feel bad taking someone's food if it was.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by reggiekush
I've been flying back and forth over the last 2 years and in F there is always a larger second meal (both Western and Japanese) available as well as a list of smaller food items/snacks. I sometimes pick some stuff off the J menu as well lol. Mainly because J hasn't been very full, I would feel bad taking someone's food if it was.
when you preselect a meal, does the japanese/western selection only apply to the first main meal, or does it apply to the second meal as well.

Guess i can just take my chances and hope an extra western breakfast will be available.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by peezondeez
when you preselect a meal, does the japanese/western selection only apply to the first main meal, or does it apply to the second meal as well.

Guess i can just take my chances and hope an extra western breakfast will be available.
Preselection is only for the main meal.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 1:47 pm

Programs: AC 35K, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, GHA Titanium, HH Gold, Centara Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Preselection is only for the main meal.
Sincere apologies my eyes were clearly not working earlier.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by peezondeez

Are you flying F? I highly doubt they would run out of either option especially since the cabin isn't bound to be full. I've been ordering on board and choosing Japanese for both meals but also asking for some items from Western to be served alongside. For example ex-TYO I just ask for a tin of caviar plain (I still enjoy it without blinis, etc) as there is no proper caviar service on those routes.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 2:57 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
My family and I just flew in F and J longhaul between USA-Tokyo and vice versa (transiting) and J was 100% full on the return flight. F had only 2 seats empty. They ran out of the western set option in J when I tried ordering it 2.5 hours before landing. I assume they have enough for everyone in F, but you can always let your FA know ahead of time to reserve one for you. (Luckily my DH didn't want his in F, so he had his sent to me in J - it was the same pre-landing meal.)
Old Nov 17, 2022, 10:24 pm
Community Director Emerita

We will be flying Business trans pacific in December. I see we can preselect
- Japanese
- Western beef
- Western non beef

Does anyone have pictures of these meals?
Old Nov 17, 2022, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We will be flying Business trans pacific in December. I see we can preselect
- Japanese
- Western beef
- Western non beef

Does anyone have pictures of these meals?
There are studio pictures of the western dishes in the menu that is available online. No pictures of the Japanese food though.
The menu is different from November, so people would need to dig in to the archives and check if the exact menu has been available before.

Though I would say that the Japanese food from the US is often a bit meh, and I tend to go for western.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2023, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Speaking of preselection of meals, flew First class DFW-HND. First class was full and had been full for some days. The purser indicated six Japanese options were loaded and six were "preselected". I expressed my disappointment and proceeded to nap for four hours only to wake to the Japanese meal option. Needless to say the Japanese meal is now preselected for the return flight. The return flight is HND-JFK so the meal should be well worth the effort.

Rhetorical, but if six first class passengers preselected the Japanese option wouldn't JAL load at least one more Japanese meal option?
Old Nov 19, 2023, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
Speaking of preselection of meals, flew First class DFW-HND. First class was full and had been full for some days. The purser indicated six Japanese options were loaded and six were "preselected". I expressed my disappointment and proceeded to nap for four hours only to wake to the Japanese meal option. Needless to say the Japanese meal is now preselected for the return flight. The return flight is HND-JFK so the meal should be well worth the effort.

Rhetorical, but if six first class passengers preselected the Japanese option wouldn't JAL load at least one more Japanese meal option?
Pre-ordered online, or just ordered before you got around to placing your order? If they have online pre-orders for 6, yeah I would kind of expect them to have at least one more. But even so, the other passenger could be asked before you, or carry more jmb status than you and end up with that meal.

In the end it seemed someone changed their mind, and a Japanese meal became available.
Old Nov 19, 2023, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Pre-ordered online, or just ordered before you got around to placing your order? If they have online pre-orders for 6, yeah I would kind of expect them to have at least one more. But even so, the other passenger could be asked before you, or carry more jmb status than you and end up with that meal.

In the end it seemed someone changed their mind, and a Japanese meal became available.
Per the purser, pre-ordered online. Per the purser, no one was asked before me. Prior to arrival, the purser made a point of instructing me to pre-order the Japanese meail online if I wanted the Japanese meal on the next flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.