FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   JAL "Overnight transit pass" at NGO / Nagoya airport (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/2083198-jal-overnight-transit-pass-ngo-nagoya-airport.html)

EqualOpp Jun 15, 2022 12:05 pm

JAL "Overnight transit pass" at NGO / Nagoya airport

I currently have an itinerary SEA-NRT-NGO-TPE. This is an award ticket, so that's all I could get from Alaska. The NGO stop is an overnight transit. I've learned that some Japan airports close overnight - like NRT. (HND is ok). And there are stories about being refused boarding at first point because of this - because one can't enter Japan at the moment as a foreigner for the most part. I was originally just going to crash in the departure area, but this sounds like a no go.

So...in investigating NGO, turns out most of it is closed overnight as well (See post below). A few parts are 24 hours, but they appear to all be LANDside. And since COVID rules, one can't enter Japan unless as part of a "tour group" which I obviously am not part of.

So...called NGO airport and spoke with the rep, in English, and she said to ask JAL about some kind of transit pass that would allow me to go to a local hotel (I think she said the CAPSULE hotel in the airport, but I don't remember / wasn't clear).

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I'll change my flights if I can to avoid this hot mess, but availability is near non-existent at the moment (Business class). Maybe I can find an EVA direct flight, we'll see. Worst comes to worse, I might switch to economy. Which probably won't be bad at all - as the planes will be semi-empty I imagine. I've done it numerous times on this route, but if I can fly business, well, why not. Eager to try the JAL Sky Suite.

Made some recent posts here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34336550-post713.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japa...l#post34338716

EqualOpp Jun 15, 2022 1:23 pm

Just called JAL, sounds like a moot point as foreigners aren't allowed to fly on internal Japan flights. I Have a NRT-NGO connector.

EqualOpp Jun 15, 2022 2:03 pm

Can ignore this. I've rerouted to avoid internal JAPAN flights and NGO altogether. SEA-NRT-TPE.

350zrx330 Jun 16, 2022 1:34 pm

When is your flight? Reason I am asking is because according to JAL's adjusted schedule for the upcoming few months, NRT-TPE only has morning flights and not daily. So if your SEA-NRT gets in during the afternoon, you can't really connect to TPE until next day.

gogooo Jun 17, 2022 4:52 am

I would avoid NRT entirely ( or Japan for that matter) and move to HND or HKG.

JALPak Jun 17, 2022 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by gogooo (Post 34343880)
I would avoid NRT entirely ( or Japan for that matter) and move to HND or HKG.

You are kidding about HKG right? With the random flight bans in place, your trip can be canceled or worse you can be stranded at HKG for days with little to no advanced notice.

gogooo Jun 17, 2022 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 34345593)
You are kidding about HKG right? With the random flight bans in place, your trip can be canceled or worse you can be stranded at HKG for days with little to no advanced notice.

There always is advance notice at HKG, anyways look at TSA airport from HND, usually very good availablity. tpac origin point would need tweaking.

MSPeconomist Jun 17, 2022 6:47 pm

Can the OP enter Taiwan currently?

gogooo Jun 17, 2022 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 34345977)

Yes anyone can enter Taiwan with a - PCR and what is essentially a 7 day quarantine.

JALPak Jun 17, 2022 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by gogooo (Post 34346015)
Yes anyone can enter Taiwan with a - PCR and what is essentially a 7 day quarantine.

The quarantine period is 3 days not 7 days.

https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En/Bulletin/D...oiw?typeid=158

A. The day of arrival counts as Day 0; a three-day home quarantine and four-day self-initiated epidemic prevention following the end of quarantine will be required.

gogooo Jun 17, 2022 8:02 pm

"Essentially" considering the onerous requirements for days 4-7.

EqualOpp Jun 18, 2022 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 34345977)

Yes, have Taiwan passport with appropriate entry stamp.

Originally Posted by 350zrx330 (Post 34342326)
When is your flight? Reason I am asking is because according to JAL's adjusted schedule for the upcoming few months, NRT-TPE only has morning flights and not daily. So if your SEA-NRT gets in during the afternoon, you can't really connect to TPE until next day.

There's an eve JAL NRT-TPE flight

350zrx330 Jun 19, 2022 5:27 am

Finger crossed the evening NRT-TPE flight will stay. I am flying through HND to TSA later this week from the US. been paying close attention to the NRT-TPE flight because my return is from TPE to NRT then connect back to the US. For the past few months include June and July, NRT-TPE only has morning service and not daily (809 and 802). I see August still showing the evening flights, but do not think it will stay. If your travel date is way into the future, your odds are good.

EqualOpp Jun 19, 2022 10:31 am

Originally Posted by 350zrx330 (Post 34349081)
Finger crossed the evening NRT-TPE flight will stay. I am flying through HND to TSA later this week from the US. been paying close attention to the NRT-TPE flight because my return is from TPE to NRT then connect back to the US. For the past few months include June and July, NRT-TPE only has morning service and not daily (809 and 802). I see August still showing the evening flights, but do not think it will stay. If your travel date is way into the future, your odds are good.

Oh, that's troubling. Thanks for the heads up. Well..it is an August flight. Not sure what I would do if that is canceled. If I couldn't overnight in NRT, maybe I would have to fly to elsewhere in Asia where I could overnight (Seoul? Bangkok?), then back to Taiwan the next day?

More traffic to Taiwan now that quarantine has been lowered to 3+4. Talk of it going to 0+7 in September. That would further boost traffic...so having the NRT-TPE flight would be a good business decision to be ready? Maybe that's what they're thinking?

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4568784

ernestnywang Jun 19, 2022 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by gogooo (Post 34346015)

No, besides the mistake in quarantine period, not everyone can enter Taiwan. You need to be citizen, PR, or hold special visa.