Wiki Posts
Search

JAL and Masks

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2022, 5:34 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
AA does not fly to Bangkok, I think the closest you can get on AA metal is Tokyo. If you fly UA you can get to Singapore, only a two hour hop from Bangkok.
Don't think it is optional for AA metal when you are flying to/from Tokyo. According to the AY link below, there seems to be a mandate issued by the Japanese authority to require passengers to wear masks on flight to/from Japan.

https://www.finnair.com/us-en/flight...lights-2364594

If OP really needs to avoid any kind of masking requirements onboard, and respects the carrier's and the foreign countries' masking policy, then routing via HEL is a viable option.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 7:46 pm

Programs: whatever it takes
Other then a brief ask toward landing LAX SEA-HND, zero mask enforcement. Most of the trip I had it off. I slept in both window and an aisle Skysuite seats.

HND-TPE, also nobody said anything. I only put it on for takeoff and landing. Which mirrors my experience with Qatar Qsuites last year.

PresRDC and Chang11 like this.

Last edited by EqualOpp; Aug 12, 2022 at 12:07 am
Old Aug 12, 2022, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by work2fly
It's reasonable for a passenger to expect the airline to follow and enforce it's policies.

While I don't mask, I find it shameful to ridicule those who do
Completely wrong to shame anybody for wearing a mask. There are plenty of times where wearing a mask makes sense.

While seated in a First Class suite, while the engines are running (meaning the air flow and filtration system is working), and when not interacting with a member of the crew, there is zero risk to anyone else on board. And zero risk to you.

So, if on a given flight JL (or other airline) FAs, are not going to enforce the rule, I am not going to follow it while in my seat during flight and when not interacting with the crew. When out of my seat, mask 100% of the time. When boarding and deplaning, mask 100% of the time.
SkyTeam777 likes this.

Last edited by PresRDC; Aug 12, 2022 at 11:04 am
Old Aug 14, 2022, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It was never truly reduced. A few minor tweaks, and items arriving with covers on. One thing that was removed was the hot towels, and using packaged oshibori instead, but that is back to normal.
What's that?

Originally Posted by Global321
Exact seat I had earlier this month... and I thought the same way. Nope. If I stopped eating/drinking, they asked me to put the mask on.
No one in the seat next to me.

Sleeping no problem.
​​​​​​​Did you sleep maskless?
Old Aug 14, 2022, 1:40 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by lsquare
What's that?​
https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=oshibori&l=1
estnet likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by jalpak
🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂
Old Aug 28, 2022, 5:06 pm

Programs: whatever it takes
Flew TPE-HND
HND-HNL

TPE-HND I wore mask initially on boarding and part of take off maybe, don't remember. then not again until deplaning. Nobody ever said anything. Was a Sky Suite window seat and nobody was next to me...so "lots of space"

HND-HNL, I wore while boarding only...then never wore it again. Did not wear while deplaning either in HNL -- since we arrived in no mask America. Was a reverse herringbone Sky Suite (Cramped!).

YMMV depending on your JEDI powers.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 7:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Anyone have mask recomendations that are both comfortable and offer high breathability? Anything better than a Pitta Mask that meets both criteria?
Old Oct 2, 2022, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Pochama
Anyone have mask recomendations that are both comfortable and offer high breathability? Anything better than a Pitta Mask that meets both criteria?
KUCHIRAKU MASK https://amzn.asia/d/3OQBSHu

I prefer masks of this design style. You can get them in various grades, from mainly decorative to certified for medical use.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 4:43 pm

Programs: Kris Flyer - Silver
Data points:
SEA NRT 29 Sep - Announcements were made on boarding that mask was mandatory. Ground crew on the jetbridge asked pax to put on masks. On board, in Y, cabin crew went around with an iPad which says "please put on your masks" after meal service in both English and Japanese.

NRT SIN 29 Sep - Similar iPad was brought around in the cabin. In the airport, it was a masked environment.

On both occasions, large majority of the passengers were wearing masks. So, I wasn't sure if the non-mask wearers were asked to put on mask or not.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Flew U.S-NRT-S.E.A and back in J, FA never mention mask on 3 of 4 flights. On my last flight one FA come to me twice and ask me to put on my mask, so I decide to just lay down and face inward so she can't see me 🤣 Other FAs on the same flight are totally ok with me being maskless.I didn't wear a mask in NRT terminal and Sakura lounge, the staffs are fine with that. About 50% western pax not wearing a mask, but almost 100% asian pax wearing one.
sueco6 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Ghoulish
Consider "The Room" from ANA for your trip to BKK (well just to Tokyo but still worth it, especially since they typically price equal or lower than JAL.)

Once you close that door no one sees anything.
Upon reviewing "The Room" I see the point you are trying to make. Kind of made up my mind that ANA might be the way for me to go to keep from the mask police. I do know that it may be different from Tokyo to Bangkok. That I can live with. However, by the time I'm ready to fly, February or March, all of this nonsense should probably be over.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Silver; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum
Any update on the enforcing of the mask requirement in Business Class? I'm flying JFK-NRT the end of February.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Fly4SCUBA
Any update on the enforcing of the mask requirement in Business Class? I'm flying JFK-NRT the end of February.
No change yet. Expect it to come on May 8th when Japan downgrades covid-19 to same level as flu.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 9:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Marriott FSPP
Just off an asian trip on JAL.
Mask is required, but was not very strict.
F was full both in and outbound.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.