Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Infant in 1A alert...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2022, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Angry Infant in 1A alert...

Have just had an infant symbol show up on my 788 flight from HND-SYD in 1A. I understand this means the child will be between 8 days - 2 years of age? As it's a night sector I'm dreading the thought of a horror baby screaming 10 hours(worst case scenario).
I was in 2A but have moved away and changed to 2K. For those familiar with the 788 J cabins should I move to 3K which is furthest away in same cabin but closer to middle galley, or move to 7A or 7K in smaller rear J cabin? No idea why people with kids under 7/8 fly premium cabins; they rarely get to enjoy it- constantly busy with the child. Kids in that age range were never meant to stay quiet or sit still let alone when trapped in an aluminum tube for 10 hours!. Surely Y+ would be more sensible. Rant over. Any advice would be appreciated.
Ghoulish likes this.

Last edited by Cedar Jet; Apr 14, 2022 at 6:45 am
Old Apr 2, 2022, 5:21 pm

Wow that’s a cool feature. You seem a bit nervous, I say go to the mini cabin for sure! I think it’s going to work out fine
Old Apr 2, 2022, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
Have just had an infant symbol show up on my 788 flight from HND-SYD. I understand this means the child will be between 8 days - 2 years of age? As it's a night sector I'm dreading the thought of a horror baby screaming 10 hours(worst case scenario).
I was in 2A but have moved away and changed to 2K. For those familiar with the 788 J cabins should I move to 3K which is furthest away in same cabin but closer to middle galley, or move to 7A or 7K in smaller rear J cabin? No idea why people with kids under 7/8 fly premium cabins; they rarely get to enjoy it- constantly busy with the child. Kids in that age range were never meant to stay quiet or sit still let alone when trapped in an aluminum tube for 10 hours!. Surely Y+ would be more sensible. Rant over. Any advice would be appreciated.
The added space of a business class seat is a godsend when travelling with an infant. It just makes life so much easier according to friends who are parents, and fortunate enough to be able to fly in premium cabins. Non parent here, so don't truly know myself.

I can't recall any flight where I have been majorly disturbed by people bringing lap infants. Sure there can be a bit of noise, but for all of the fears of a screaming toddler on a 12 hour flight, it is a very rare occurrence.

For the second cabin, just be aware that bulkhead seats in PY are bassinet positions.....
mcgahat, benjahman, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
For the second cabin, just be aware that bulkhead seats in PY are bassinet positions.....
Does JL also publish somewhere which J cabin seats are designated for bassinets?
Old Apr 3, 2022, 3:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The added space of a business class seat is a godsend when travelling with an infant. It just makes life so much easier according to friends who are parents, and fortunate enough to be able to fly in premium cabins. Non parent here, so don't truly know myself.

I can't recall any flight where I have been majorly disturbed by people bringing lap infants. Sure there can be a bit of noise, but for all of the fears of a screaming toddler on a 12 hour flight, it is a very rare occurrence.

You're one lucky person if you can't ever recall a screaming baby flight..I assure you I can - more than once in first and business watching poor parents run from their seat to their child/ children keeping them quiet, fed, entertained and busy; never once getting to lay their own seat flat, hence my post. I really appreciate this JAL feature. If it wasn't a significant issue as you state JAL would never have created the infant symbol as a heads up to other pax on a seat map! Think I'll go for 3K, seems safest. I currently have every A and K seat open, besides 1A of course.
seigex likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 11:54 am

You're one lucky person if you can't ever recall a screaming baby flight..I assure you I can - more than once in first and business watching poor parents run from their seat to their child/ children keeping them quiet, fed, entertained and busy; never once getting to lay their own seat flat, hence my post. I really appreciate this JAL feature. If it wasn't a significant issue as you state JAL would never have created the infant symbol as a heads up to other pax on a seat map! Think I'll go for 3K, seems safest. I currently have every A and K seat open, besides 1A of course.
Flew DXB-LHR coming home from Baghdad once, coveted seat 64K.

Mom and dad fell fast asleep and let Jr run rampant for most of the flight. Earplugs + Bose noise canceling didn't muffle the racket entirely.

FA just shrugged when I asked when it would quiet down. Good times.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:14 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
No idea why people with kids under 7/8 fly premium cabins; they rarely get to enjoy it- constantly busy with the child.
Why doesn’t a person with a wriggling child want more space and to be further away from their seat neighbours? I just don’t understand it! 🙄
benjahman and 17cc like this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:53 pm

Hate to admit it, but I was that a**hole once. Went to Portugal during a lull in the pandemic. Booked business Cass for myself, wife, and 7 yo daughter. We thought that our 2 yo would just sleep on either of us considering it was (a) late, (b) it was a 7 hour direct flight, and (c) our older daughter was an excellent traveler from a young age.

Well, apparently all children are different. The 2 yo was a feral creature that was unable to sleep, get comfortable or eat. It was an awful experience for the cabin and I felt absolutely terrible. I finally understood infanticide.

Anyway, not trying that again in the near future. Maybe in late 2023, but not before then.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roberino
Why doesn’t a person with a wriggling child want more space and to be further away from their seat neighbours? I just don’t understand it! 🙄
As I said Y+ bulk head seats offer a great amount of room in most cases-surely that's more practical.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
As I said Y+ bulk head seats offer a great amount of room in most cases-surely that's more practical.
Tell us how you like the Y+ bulk head seat, after your flight.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Matt the Coffeeman
Hate to admit it, but I was that a**hole once. Went to Portugal during a lull in the pandemic. Booked business Cass for myself, wife, and 7 yo daughter. We thought that our 2 yo would just sleep on either of us considering it was (a) late, (b) it was a 7 hour direct flight, and (c) our older daughter was an excellent traveler from a young age.

Well, apparently all children are different. The 2 yo was a feral creature that was unable to sleep, get comfortable or eat. It was an awful experience for the cabin and I felt absolutely terrible. I finally understood infanticide.

Anyway, not trying that again in the near future. Maybe in late 2023, but not before then.
That's why I used to travel with (drowsy) antihistamine with my baby... a teaspoon into their milk... it's godsent!
Old Apr 3, 2022, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Tell us how you like the Y+ bulk head seat, after your flight.
I don't understand your point; I wont be travelling with an infant who could potentially interrupt the experience of other premium cabin pax. Read the other posts in the thread.
Ghoulish likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 2:39 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
I don't understand your point; I wont be travelling with an infant who could potentially interrupt the experience of other premium cabin pax. Read the other posts in the thread.
It’s public transport. You literally have no say in who sits in any other seat on the aircraft.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Whooooooosh.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 3:03 am
mjm
Original Member

Having raised two kids living in Tokyo with annual trips from birth year onward to visit their grandparents in the US I can say the only time I have flown economy on the past 20 years has been on those flights. I hate economy, I love flying up front and fly frequently. But I am also conscious of the reality that when people pay for a premium seat, my forcing them to hear a screaming kid is poor form. It is just goods manners to consider others rather than what you have a right to or what you can afford. That selfish approach is one I cannot understand. Statements about who has what right to sit where are all fallacious with regard to the discussion of what constitutes common decency and good manners.

Parents can ensure their child is full (from eating), is warm with layers and thereby most likely have a child who sleeps a good part of the way. But the times they feel like screaming outweigh that entirely and in my opinion parents with manners are those that understand the economy sacrifice during air travel will only last 1-3 years.
Cedar Jet and Ghoulish like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.