Avoiding direct sun on 787

Old Mar 23, 2022, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Avoiding direct sun on 787

Flying from DFW to NRT on JL 8011 sitting in an A seat, I was quite surprised at how uncomfortable (and hot) it is to have the sun directly shining onto me for 3/4 of the flight despite the windows being dimmed to the maximum.

When I return from NRT to DFW on JL 8012, can anyone confirm that the sun will be on the other side of the plane for the whole way provided I remain in an A seat?

Thank you!
Old Mar 23, 2022, 7:09 pm

I always try to pick a right/left side seat for west/eastbound transpacific flights for this particular reason especially on a 787, and it has never gone wrong (I fly from/to the west coast).
Old Mar 23, 2022, 9:53 pm

Programs: JGC premier
SunFlight.net - Day and Night Flight Map
As someone who hates direct sun exposure, not being able to close the window blind esp during take off/ landing for many airlines is a pet peeve of mine. Luckily JL doesn’t care, but this is a website i usually use to check when flying with other airlines
Old Mar 24, 2022, 1:00 am

Reminds me of the old definition of the word "posh"...... "Port Out, Starboard Home"
Old Mar 24, 2022, 3:46 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
A subject near and dear to my heart. I generally embrace "POSH" as an approach, but it can be tricky with trans-polar flights, and sometimes you don't get the seat you really want.

It seems to me that there's a market for a small, "blackout window shade" for 787s, but I've never seen any -- "The Boeing DreamShader"©. Making one should be easy with any opaque, cling-film material. I believe all 787 windows are the same size, so one should be useful for years.

Next time I pass by a Boeing suggestion box, I'll pop in a note asking them to provide that to all customers. Until they do, does anyone know of a place that sells opaque, cling-film material? It would be easy enough to cut a sheet to the proper size.

I seriously want this.
trooper likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 4:56 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
A subject near and dear to my heart. I generally embrace "POSH" as an approach, but it can be tricky with trans-polar flights, and sometimes you don't get the seat you really want.

It seems to me that there's a market for a small, "blackout window shade" for 787s, but I've never seen any -- "The Boeing DreamShader"©. Making one should be easy with any opaque, cling-film material. I believe all 787 windows are the same size, so one should be useful for years.

Next time I pass by a Boeing suggestion box, I'll pop in a note asking them to provide that to all customers. Until they do, does anyone know of a place that sells opaque, cling-film material? It would be easy enough to cut a sheet to the proper size.

I seriously want this.
such product already exist
Old Mar 24, 2022, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
such product already exist
Details, please? Who makes it? Where does one buy it? Are those photos of yours with it in use? If so, how do you like it?

I have found simple, black, opaque cling-film on amazon, that I think would work. I can bu that and cut to size, I assume I can remove it, roll it up and re-use. But if someone already makes and sells a solution, I'd love to know it. Thanks.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 6:32 pm

Details, please? Who makes it? Where does one buy it? Are those photos of yours with it in use? If so, how do you like it?

I have found simple, black, opaque cling-film on amazon, that I think would work. I can bu that and cut to size, I assume I can remove it, roll it up and re-use. But if someone already makes and sells a solution, I'd love to know it. Thanks.
Yes, that’s my photo but I didn’t buy them. You can simply ask the CA to put those on for you.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 6:57 pm

You mean....they have these already? They have always had them? I don't have to make my own and bring them? All I need to do is ask for them?
Old Mar 24, 2022, 7:56 pm

You mean....they have these already? They have always had them? I don't have to make my own and bring them? All I need to do is ask for them?
Yes, if you are flying JAL. But that picture was taken back in 2017. I haven’t needed to use them since then.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
Yes, if you are flying JAL. But that picture was taken back in 2017. I haven’t needed to use them since then.
Well, I expect to be on a JAL 787 in less than 2 weeks (if all goes as expected). So I might need them.

How are they held in place? Does it hold to the window "glass" (plastic) by static? Something sticky? Is there a "frame" that holds it in place?

There goes my dreams for getting rich by selling them...
Old Mar 24, 2022, 8:45 pm

Well, I expect to be on a JAL 787 in less than 2 weeks (if all goes as expected). So I might need them.

How are they held in place? Does it hold to the window "glass" (plastic) by static? Something sticky? Is there a "frame" that holds it in place?

There goes my dreams for getting rich by selling them...
probably static
nwflyboy likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 6:09 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Hmm. I flew DFW-NRT in an A seat (JL 787) a few years ago, and sunlight wasn't an issue for me at all...
Old Mar 25, 2022, 6:36 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
Hmm. I flew DFW-NRT in an A seat (JL 787) a few years ago, and sunlight wasn't an issue for me at all...
Ditto. But this past Dec.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.