How early to arrive BKK?

Old Oct 29, 21, 5:43 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tampa, FL
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Posts: 1,697
How early to arrive BKK?

Hi Everyone,

Quick question. I have a 1 am flight out of BKK. Trying to figure out timing to get to the airport. I actually enjoy hanging out in lounges and spending time in airports, but not sure how BKK will be during COVID. I looked at the menu for my flight and looks like I'll definitely want to eat before getting on the plane...menu doesn't look all that great and will want to maximize sleep. From my understanding, I can print my BP before I leave and am not checking a bag. Will I still need to check in at the ticket counter with all my documentation or can that be done at the lounge / gate? It appears as though the ticket counter won't open till about 10:30 pm. Should I plan to arrive around that time? Any advice would be appreciated. Looking forward to my first JAL experience!

dirvrdrew
divrdrew is offline  
Old Oct 29, 21, 5:32 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Posts: 18,548
Most airlines have suspended boarding passes from on line check-in for international travem, as there is too much paper work to be checked, and they generally want to do that before people reach the gate. While I am not 100% sure that is also the case for JAL, I would expect so.

Probably your target will be to go there no earlier than when the counters open. But you can try, when OLCI opens, and if you get to print a BP, you can go earlier....
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old Oct 30, 21, 12:13 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BKK
Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Posts: 2,808
I would get there as late as possible and make sure to have a proper dinner in town first. The service concept on these short over-night flights is indeed designed to maximise sleep, so the meal service is breakfast before landing and a very limited snack (I seem to remember three pieces of sushi) after departure for those who want. They do carry JALs (instant) noodle offerings if you get more hungry as well.

JAL will offer fast track immigration and security at BKK for those in J, so would not expect it to take long (of course contingent on staffing levels etc post-covid)
SKT-DK is offline  
Old Nov 9, 21, 6:02 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tampa, FL
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Posts: 1,697
How is the JAL lounge in BKK during COVID? Enough there to have a full meal?
divrdrew is offline  
Old Nov 9, 21, 11:11 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Posts: 18,548
Originally Posted by divrdrew
How is the JAL lounge in BKK during COVID? Enough there to have a full meal?
https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/servi...ge/bkk/sakura/
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old Nov 9, 21, 11:41 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tampa, FL
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Posts: 1,697
Thanks...seen that but wondering about first hand experience. IMHO, the web sites are more marketing oriented and can vary greatly from the on-ground experience (both positive and negative deviations).
divrdrew is offline  
Old Nov 10, 21, 12:00 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BKK
Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Posts: 2,808
Originally Posted by divrdrew
Thanks...seen that but wondering about first hand experience. IMHO, the web sites are more marketing oriented and can vary greatly from the on-ground experience (both positive and negative deviations).
When is it you are flying again? If I remember correctly it is some time in December, so I can check the lounge offerings at the end of this month when flying out.
SKT-DK is offline  
Old Nov 10, 21, 12:52 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Chiang Mai, Thailand
Posts: 55
Originally Posted by divrdrew
How is the JAL lounge in BKK during COVID? Enough there to have a full meal?
when i was there earlier this year, the food offerings were very limited but they did have on offer their signature JAL curry and rice, which is hard to go wrong with. other than the curry, there wasn't too much else beyond some hot dogs and cup noodles.
pablos is online now  
Old Nov 10, 21, 1:15 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: bay area, ca
Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Posts: 4,702
Things are changing now with more tourists and flights. Hard to predict what/when - a few weeks ago even most of the restaurants were closed, but some are now re-opening. When are u flying?
IIRC I could never do OLCI even before covid - but that may have been b/c I was flying to the US and they had to check passport, etc. I think it was for all departures, though and now it is even more strict. If you are able to do OLCI I'd love to know b/c I remember often waiting for the desk to open. The only exception is for airlines that had earlier flights I could check in early b/c the desk was open for that flight, but JL doesn't have so many departures from BKK
estnet is offline  
Old Nov 10, 21, 5:46 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tampa, FL
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Posts: 1,697
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
When is it you are flying again? If I remember correctly it is some time in December, so I can check the lounge offerings at the end of this month when flying out.
Thanks...last week of December...26-31. Looks to be quite scaled back from what the web site notes due to covid.
divrdrew is offline  
Old Nov 10, 21, 5:47 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tampa, FL
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Posts: 1,697
Originally Posted by pablos
when i was there earlier this year, the food offerings were very limited but they did have on offer their signature JAL curry and rice, which is hard to go wrong with. other than the curry, there wasn't too much else beyond some hot dogs and cup noodles.
Thanks! Not a huge curry fan, but may have to try that one. Looks great! Thanks for the report!
pablos likes this.
divrdrew is offline  
Old Nov 10, 21, 5:49 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tampa, FL
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Posts: 1,697
Originally Posted by estnet
Things are changing now with more tourists and flights. Hard to predict what/when - a few weeks ago even most of the restaurants were closed, but some are now re-opening. When are u flying?
IIRC I could never do OLCI even before covid - but that may have been b/c I was flying to the US and they had to check passport, etc. I think it was for all departures, though and now it is even more strict. If you are able to do OLCI I'd love to know b/c I remember often waiting for the desk to open. The only exception is for airlines that had earlier flights I could check in early b/c the desk was open for that flight, but JL doesn't have so many departures from BKK
Flying last week of December. From what I gather on the web site, looks like JAL is pushing everyone to OLCI at the time. I'll try that route and will post my results, both outbound from US and return from BKK. I've also seen different desk times reported...from three hours before (~22:00) to opening at 22:35 (2.5 hours before). I think I'll have to plan to get there around 22:00 either way.
divrdrew is offline  
Old Nov 10, 21, 8:43 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Chiang Mai, Thailand
Posts: 55
Originally Posted by divrdrew
Thanks! Not a huge curry fan, but may have to try that one. Looks great! Thanks for the report!
i'll be back there on december 13th so will try and remember to provide an update then.
pablos is online now  
Old Nov 11, 21, 5:50 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tampa, FL
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Posts: 1,697
Originally Posted by pablos
i'll be back there on december 13th so will try and remember to provide an update then.
Thanks...would appreciate that.
divrdrew is offline  
Old Dec 13, 21, 7:09 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Chiang Mai, Thailand
Posts: 55
Originally Posted by divrdrew
Thanks...would appreciate that.
howdy. as promised, an update from the BKK JAL lounge today. check-in took all of 5 minutes and they just wanted to see my Covid test results taken within one day. they will also give you a US-required vaccination attestation form which is apparently collected in tokyo before ones flight to the US. otherwise, all normal and smooth with access to fast track immigration which took 2 minutes. (plus for any residents / insiders, another 10 minutes for a re-entry stamp which is way to the left after the regular exit immigration desks).

ok, so the JAL lounge at 8:45pm with JL34 boarding commencing at 9:35pm about 20-25 people here and the offerings are still pretty limited. a few nibbles on offer which need to be ordered from staff. a limited drinks offering which has to be ordered from staff. its not a terrible place to spend your time waiting but just very sterile-feeling. (which is maybe not a bad thing during Covid times. and frankly this lounge always felt pretty sterile during normal
times.)

for comparison sake (i have priority pass) i checked out the turkish airlines lounge across the hallway it was aggressively bad. i think it was well between flights when i went, but wow. not good. crappy drink offerings, stale and bleh self-serve food. no thank you.

i also went to the miracle business lounge across from D5 which frankly surprisingly felt pretty much okay and normal. its not amazing at the best of times but they had serve-yourself decent-enough booze, an okay and decent selection of self-serve food on offer. it is a perfectly cromulent lounge. dunno how to express it, it just felt normal.

anywho, there ya go. let me know if any specific questions.

(and yep, equipment change resulted in a first class seat on JL34 but my understanding is the soft product is business and the J overnight food is as per usual on JL34 weak.)










Last edited by pablos; Dec 14, 21 at 7:13 am
pablos is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread