Wiki Posts
Search

2nd Round Bonus JAL FOP

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2021, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; ex JAL JGCP
2nd Round Bonus JAL FOP

Just got the news that we will get bonus FOP.

YTD Bonus FOP figures
Diamond: 75000
Premier: 45000
Sapphire: 25000
Crystal: 12000

It’s not enough for anyone to requalify as it is - I wonder if they are having good Japan-based numbers qualifying to forego the rest of the customers who can barely fly anywhere this year?
(and if you can fly, there isnt exactly enough options to promote to the next status without flying JAL either)
Old Sep 14, 2021, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The purpose is not to help people get to a higher level, but allow people to roughly stay where they are.

For each one of the levels you can requalify without any JAL flights.

An important point for JGC Premier and Diamond, 2022 service selection is tied to reaching the qualifying level without these bonuses included.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 9:05 am

Programs: JMB, Bonvoy, Hyatt
FWIW Crystal requalification would still require some JAL flights.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SugoiHikouki
FWIW Crystal requalification would still require some JAL flights.
True, I kind of overlooked that one.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 12:22 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
True, I kind of overlooked that one.
What’s the practical difference between renewing 2022-2023 as JGC Sapphire vs renewing as JGC Green? No more double FOPs month.

https://satsukisoh.com/2019/11/08/jgc修行介紹/

(Backup link https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...9b768b2748.png)

(Backup link https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e7d3ea894.jpeg)

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 15, 2021 at 7:36 am
Old Sep 15, 2021, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by percysmith
What’s the practical difference between renewing 2022-2023 as JGC Sapphire vs renewing as JGC Green? No more double FOPs month.

https://satsukisoh.com/2019/11/08/jgc修行介紹/

(Backup link https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...9b768b2748.png)

(Backup link )
Double FOP month was already downgraded to 1.5 FOP. Did Sapphire members also get that?

THB for Sapphire I would probably not go to any lengths to qualify, and just let JGC keep that running.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 7:40 am

Double FOP month was already downgraded to 1.5 FOP. Did Sapphire members also get that?

THB for Sapphire I would probably not go to any lengths to qualify, and just let JGC keep that running.
Was it extended beyond 31 March 2021?

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/121campaign/flyon_dom/

Renewing JAL Global Club Premier
Old Sep 15, 2021, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, it is not running this year.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 8:46 am

No, it is not running this year.
Thanks. Ergo, no reason to run to from Green or Crystal to Sapphire, even if one can. You won't even be setting yourself up for a double FOPs month to JGP or JML in the next year. All you'll get is the marginally higher priority in waitlist and in service over Greens and Crystals on JAL own metal.

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 15, 2021 at 9:08 am
Old Sep 15, 2021, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. Ergo, no reason to run to from Green or Crystal to Sapphire, even if one can. You won't even be setting yourself up for a double FOPs month to JGP or JML in the next year. All you'll get is the marginally higher priority in waitlist and in service over Greens and Crystals on JAL own metal.
They might reignite it next year, you never know. If domestic travel rebounds, they will need to do a lot to capture the market....
Old Sep 16, 2021, 12:02 am

Programs: JGC premier
Any thoughts on whether they’ll do another bonus FOP? I will need another 27000 FOP to requalify to JGCP, but with no double FOP promo and relatively bad corona situation for Okinawa making me uncomfortable to do mileage run there, I have no idea how I can achieve it..
Old Sep 16, 2021, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bakaneko85
Any thoughts on whether they’ll do another bonus FOP? I will need another 27000 FOP to requalify to JGCP, but with no double FOP promo and relatively bad corona situation for Okinawa making me uncomfortable to do mileage run there, I have no idea how I can achieve it..
27K is a lot to get on domestic flying. Even at 100% earning fares in F, Okinawa requires 4 returns. But financially speaking, it probably makes more sense to aim for a 75% earning booking class. But it is certainly not going to be a complete bargain.

I guess they have crunched the numbers on how status members track so far, and come up with this supplement to not have too great an impact to the overall number of Sapphire/JGC Premier/Diamond. So I'd say probably not very likely. But if the number of requalifications remain too low for comfort for JAL, we'll see something. But I'd probably guess more targeted based on past performance.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 12:57 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
I guess they have crunched the numbers on how status members track so far, and come up with this supplement to not have too great an impact to the overall number of Sapphire/JGC Premier/Diamond. So I'd say probably not very likely. But if the number of requalifications remain too low for comfort for JAL, we'll see something. But I'd probably guess more targeted based on past performance.
These rounds are pointless for us who are not in Japan. Those in Japan can fly domestic to reach that next tier (or even have a credit card for 5,000 FOP) while we have no where to fly even COVID isn't a concern (but it still is a concern) unless we make Tokyo a transfer point (and some destinations are not even possible to make same day turn given Narita does not allow overnight and Haneda doesn't have all the destinations).

I am not sure what's lost for JAL that they are not renewing the membership. Most of us are not even flying these past two years to utilize the benefits and is it better to drop us?
Old Sep 16, 2021, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
These rounds are pointless for us who are not in Japan. Those in Japan can fly domestic to reach that next tier (or even have a credit card for 5,000 FOP) while we have no where to fly even COVID isn't a concern (but it still is a concern) unless we make Tokyo a transfer point (and some destinations are not even possible to make same day turn given Narita does not allow overnight and Haneda doesn't have all the destinations).

I am not sure what's lost for JAL that they are not renewing the membership. Most of us are not even flying these past two years to utilize the benefits and is it better to drop us?
Except for Crystal (as I was reminded) you have all of the JAL group points to retain your status. So depending on where you are based there are options to gain the points needed. But it is also a fair amount of flying in any area.

I don't think a lot of people are aiming for this to raise their status level, but just to keep it. Keeping was also the point of the post I replied to above. Going from Sapphire to JGC Premier basically on domestic runs is quite pricey in Japan, so the takers are going to be limited.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 1:59 am

Programs: JGC premier
27K is a lot to get on domestic flying. Even at 100% earning fares in F, Okinawa requires 4 returns. But financially speaking, it probably makes more sense to aim for a 75% earning booking class. But it is certainly not going to be a complete bargain.

yeah, I traditionally rely on intl trips for all the fops. Guess as long as they close the border it’s not even worth trying to maintain my status anyway.. I just wonder though if there are even enough domestic flyers who can maintain their statuses? As of July their domestic passenger no is only 40% of 2019 level.. with this kind of bonus point, my guess is that they’re also trying to cull the elite ranks to cut costs..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.