Domestic Luggage Allowance for Emerald?

Old Jan 2, 2021, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Domestic Luggage Allowance for Emerald?

I'm hauling my diving gear on my next flight, which is quite heavy obviously. I know JL domestic allowance is 20kg, plus I get 20kg extra for OneWorld Emerald, but not sure how that's allocated.

Does this work in the usual way for limits based on weight, meaning I can have as few or as many pieces that add up to 40kg (with the max per piece being 32kg of course), or is this more like the North American piece concept where I have to pack it into 2x 20kg each to max out the allowance?

Our dive gear actually comes out to about 34kg (2 sets), but it's certainly most convenient to pack as much as possible into the dive bag itself and check it in at 31.9kg.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 2:08 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by dvs7310
I'm hauling my diving gear on my next flight, which is quite heavy obviously. I know JL domestic allowance is 20kg, plus I get 20kg extra for OneWorld Emerald, but not sure how that's allocated.

Does this work in the usual way for limits based on weight, meaning I can have as few or as many pieces that add up to 40kg (with the max per piece being 32kg of course), or is this more like the North American piece concept where I have to pack it into 2x 20kg each to max out the allowance?

Our dive gear actually comes out to about 34kg (2 sets), but it's certainly most convenient to pack as much as possible into the dive bag itself and check it in at 31.9kg.
https://www.jal.co.jp/en/dom/baggage/checked/

It clearly states theres no limit on number of bags
dvs7310 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak
https://www.jal.co.jp/en/dom/baggage/checked/

It clearly states theres no limit on number of bags
I guess my actual confusion is whether my allowance is 40kg, or is it 20kg + 20kg (meaning must be no more than 20kg per bag?)
Old Jan 2, 2021, 2:27 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
I guess my actual confusion is whether my allowance is 40kg, or is it 20kg + 20kg (meaning must be no more than 20kg per bag?)
standard + 20kg, i.e. 40kg total when flying domestic Y
Old Jan 9, 2021, 10:41 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
32kg max per piece is industry standard and is also mentioned here: https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/dom/fare/f_bag/

This is to help ensure airport staff will not be injured.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:26 am
Original Poster

As it turns out, if you use the First/Emerald check in suite, they seem to have some tolerance in your luggage allowance, at least if it's close. Or maybe my wife inherits my same luggage allowance if on the same reservation like I used to get on UA... not sure. But as far as I understand, our allowance would be 40kg for me and 20kg for her for a total of 60kg. Going there we were pretty close, but would have been slightly under, but coming back from Okinawa we were around 65kg between the 3 bags and they didn't bat an eye.

Neither direction would have fit if they assigned it at 40kg for me and 20kg (separately) for her, as they weren't balanced that way, I remember coming back it was 32.1kg+15kg for mine, and about to 17kg for hers. So my best guess is that they add the allowance for everyone on your reservation and use it as a total. I also noted that they didn't say anything about that extra 0.1kg in the diving bag coming back, though I could have easily moved one weight from it to my carry on to bring it under 32kg if they said something.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 7:44 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
As it turns out, if you use the First/Emerald check in suite, they seem to have some tolerance in your luggage allowance, at least if it's close. Or maybe my wife inherits my same luggage allowance if on the same reservation like I used to get on UA... not sure. But as far as I understand, our allowance would be 40kg for me and 20kg for her for a total of 60kg. Going there we were pretty close, but would have been slightly under, but coming back from Okinawa we were around 65kg between the 3 bags and they didn't bat an eye.

Neither direction would have fit if they assigned it at 40kg for me and 20kg (separately) for her, as they weren't balanced that way, I remember coming back it was 32.1kg+15kg for mine, and about to 17kg for hers. So my best guess is that they add the allowance for everyone on your reservation and use it as a total. I also noted that they didn't say anything about that extra 0.1kg in the diving bag coming back, though I could have easily moved one weight from it to my carry on to bring it under 32kg if they said something.
For most legacy carriers on weight concept, you can pool the total weight.
dvs7310 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.