FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   JL Back-to-Back Connection at SIN (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/2019281-jl-back-back-connection-sin.html)

sombrachinesca Jun 8, 2020 7:41 pm

JL Back-to-Back Connection at SIN

Hi everyone,

As part of a points run and to burn some miles, I plan to fly JL 711 (NRT-SIN) and then immediately return on JL 38 (SIN-HND).

I will have only carry on baggage, will be in business class, and should be able to have a mobile boarding pass.
As best as I can tell, the same plane always operates 711 into Singapore and 38 back to Tokyo.
There's a 90-minute connection .... which should only involve deplaning, clearing security at the gate, and reboarding.
This will be in late July -- SIN should be permitting transits and hopefully JL will be operating a normal schedule to Singapore.

Can anyone identify any problems I'm overlooking??

Thanks,
Bill

ETA - This would be 2 tickets... paid inbound to SIN and award return to HND

freed0m Jun 8, 2020 9:34 pm

you probably would be denied boarding in Tokyo as you don't have right to enter Singapore, I assume.

Transit in Changi is nothing like pre-covid19. JL has not been granted any transit right in Changi. And you don't really transit in Changi.

dvs7310 Jun 8, 2020 11:14 pm

In addition that unless you have a Japanese passport, you're not getting back into Japan. Though they are getting some pressure to change this ridiculous rule, the J government hasn't yet and there haven't been any solid plans yet that I've seen to remove the overall entry restrictions on the 100+ countries listed.

s0ssos Jun 9, 2020 12:03 am

Originally Posted by freed0m (Post 32441265)
you probably would be denied boarding in Tokyo as you don't have right to enter Singapore, I assume.

Transit in Changi is nothing like pre-covid19. JL has not been granted any transit right in Changi. And you don't really transit in Changi.

Japan Airlines will never be granted transit rights in Changi, because they aren't supposed to have transit rights anyway. They don't fly anywhere other than Japan from Singapore. If they did it would be a fifth-freedom flight.

Basically you have to see if Singapore opens up. If they open up then you can do the mileage run, if not you cannot. That's it. I'm not talking about opening up for transit but just opening up to let people in.

CPH-Flyer Jun 9, 2020 5:15 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos (Post 32441444)
Japan Airlines will never be granted transit rights in Changi, because they aren't supposed to have transit rights anyway. They don't fly anywhere other than Japan from Singapore. If they did it would be a fifth-freedom flight.

Basically you have to see if Singapore opens up. If they open up then you can do the mileage run, if not you cannot. That's it. I'm not talking about opening up for transit but just opening up to let people in.

Are you sure that it requires the airlines to operate both sides of the transit? That would leave only SQ, Scoot, and BA to be allowed to have transit passengers.

lcpteck Jun 9, 2020 5:22 am

True, you have to wait for news to see when Singapore would open up to visitors. Currently we're still closed.

paperwastage Jun 9, 2020 9:26 am

Originally Posted by sombrachinesca (Post 32441074)
This will be in late July -- SIN should be permitting transits and hopefully JL will be operating a normal schedule to Singapore.

Can anyone identify any problems I'm overlooking??

SIN is supposed to be permitting transits starting June 4, but thats not happening*

so dont count on your plan
1) transit passenger require specially approved airlines + route (see below). this wont happen for your special back-to-back connection
2) if not transiting, you will be denied boarding at Tokyo - SIN not accepting foreign visitors (likely until Phase 3, likely Sept or later. definitely not July)

*Changi is allowing transit as of now, but requires airlines to submit plans to be approved. transit passengers will be separated and isolated during transit period
No airline has gotten approval yet

see ongoing thread (in SQ forum, but theres discussion about other airline transit)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sing...nd-june-3.html

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 32441830)
Are you sure that it requires the airlines to operate both sides of the transit? That would leave only SQ, Scoot, and BA to be allowed to have transit passengers.

CAAS (aviation authority) requires airlines to submit routes and plan for approval. transit passengers need to be separated and isolated during transit.

I havent seen anything that requires both sides of transit to be same airlines. but the restrictions likely mean its easier if an airline only submits their own routes (and have enough staff for the transit isolation area). and likely some route wont be supported (eg overnight transit over 6 hours)

maybe in the future, they can relax the rules a little (have a common isolated transit area where one can have a self-connecting itinerary)

JALPak Jun 10, 2020 1:04 am

None of your flights will be operated in July.

carrotjuice Jun 10, 2020 5:26 am

Originally Posted by freed0m (Post 32441265)

Why would OP be denied boarding if he shows the boarding pass or ticketed booking of the inbound flight to Japan at the same time of checking in for his outbound flight to SIN? Believe the definition of “transit” is not leaving airside at SIN, and that’s presumably what OP wants to do.

freed0m Jun 10, 2020 5:28 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 32444489)
Why would OP be denied boarding if he shows the boarding pass or ticketed booking of the inbound flight to Japan at the same time of checking in for his outbound flight to SIN? Believe the definition of “transit” is not leaving airside at SIN, and that’s presumably what OP wants to do.

read the new transit rule from CAAS. It is no longer free transit. Airlines have to submit plans to manage transit passengers and receive approval before offering transit tickets.

sombrachinesca Jun 10, 2020 9:03 pm

Thanks all... back to the drawing board