JAL schedule for June and July 2020?

Old May 8, 20, 12:34 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 261
JAL schedule for June and July 2020?

Hi, does anyone know when Japan Airlines will publish its international schedule for June and July 2020? I have checked the JAL website but the latest info only has the schedule and cancellations for this month (May 2020).

Also, I am aware Japan is not allowing access into the country to non-nationals, but what about airside airport transit? I have checked JAL, ANA and MOFA's website but haven't found any information about this. Thanks
Mister P. is offline  
Old May 8, 20, 3:06 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: NYC/LAX
Programs: BAEC Gold, JAL Diamond, AS MVPG 75K, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
Posts: 131
Originally Posted by Mister P. View Post
Hi, does anyone know when Japan Airlines will publish its international schedule for June and July 2020? I have checked the JAL website but the latest info only has the schedule and cancellations for this month (May 2020).

Also, I am aware Japan is not allowing access into the country to non-nationals, but what about airside airport transit? I have checked JAL, ANA and MOFA's website but haven't found any information about this. Thanks
JAL and ANA would wait until last minute to announce big schedule changes I remembered May schedule was announced on around the twentieth of April.
JALOO5-Flyer is offline  
Old May 9, 20, 3:06 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tokyo
Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Posts: 2,947
Originally Posted by Mister P. View Post
Also, I am aware Japan is not allowing access into the country to non-nationals, but what about airside airport transit? I have checked JAL, ANA and MOFA's website but haven't found any information about this. Thanks
The Ministry of Justice?Information related to New Coronavirus Infection(COVID-19) from Immigration Services Agency (Updated)
http://www.moj.go.jp/content/001316999.pdf
Tokyoite is offline  
Old May 9, 20, 12:20 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SAN, LAX
Programs: Bonvoy Gold, JMB Crystal
Posts: 63
My reading of that doesn't help clarify whether airside transit is explicitly permitted. Does "landing" refer to the physical act of arriving at the airport or does it refer to it in the immigration sense?

In theory, is a quick turn at HND/NRT possible? Not that anyone would or should be doing MRs right now.

FWIW, I've heard that airside transit is possible but do not have anything official to back it up. One does have to take into account that NRT closes overnight though.
lokisnake is offline  
Old May 9, 20, 5:04 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 11,466
Originally Posted by lokisnake View Post
My reading of that doesn't help clarify whether airside transit is explicitly permitted. Does "landing" refer to the physical act of arriving at the airport or does it refer to it in the immigration sense?

In theory, is a quick turn at HND/NRT possible? Not that anyone would or should be doing MRs right now.

FWIW, I've heard that airside transit is possible but do not have anything official to back it up. One does have to take into account that NRT closes overnight though.
In Japanese the restrictions talk about 入国, which means entering the country. Which is often translated landing. But airside transit is allowed.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; May 10, 20 at 9:51 pm
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old May 10, 20, 9:28 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tokyo
Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Posts: 2,947
Airside transit is still allowed and you will be OK as long as the transit is on the same ticket onwards out of Japan.
Otherwise you face denial of boarding if you are on separate tickets (to Tokyo and from Tokyo).
Tokyoite is offline  
Old May 11, 20, 1:38 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 261
Thanks. I would be traveling on 2 separate (award) tickets on JAL so, as you say, I don't think I would even be able to check in at the point of origin. Will have to wait and see if / when Japan opens to non-residents and regular transit passengers.
Mister P. is offline  
Old May 11, 20, 1:43 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 11,466
Originally Posted by Mister P. View Post
Thanks. I would be traveling on 2 separate (award) tickets on JAL so, as you say, I don't think I would even be able to check in at the point of origin. Will have to wait and see if / when Japan opens to non-residents and regular transit passengers.
I don't think two tickets will get you stopped from checking in. If it is JAL to JAL, there is sufficient time between them, and you can demonstrate you second ticket at check in. As it is JAL to JAL, there is no issue of through checking luggage should that be needed.
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old May 11, 20, 2:06 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 261
Thanks, excepts one flight arrives in NRT and the other leaves from HND, which means I would first have to clear immigration (not allowed under current rules). Not to factor in picking up the luggage and getting from one airport to another. Unless JAL consolidates all international flights on either HND or NRT I don't think that's going to work.
Mister P. is offline  
Old May 11, 20, 2:38 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 11,466
Originally Posted by Mister P. View Post
Thanks, excepts one flight arrives in NRT and the other leaves from HND, which means I would first have to clear immigration (not allowed under current rules). Not to factor in picking up the luggage and getting from one airport to another. Unless JAL consolidates all international flights on either HND or NRT I don't think that's going to work.
You can't do a transfer with flights in NRT and HND, as the requires you to enter the country.
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old May 11, 20, 6:01 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 261
Thanks, I am aware of that. That's why I said that a JAL transit from NRT to HND would not be feasible under current conditions.
Mister P. is offline  
Old May 11, 20, 11:40 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NRT / HND
Programs: AA EXP, Former UA 1K
Posts: 4,425
Assuming your seperate tickets have origin and destination points both from NRT or HND, then you could likely get one ticket changed to match the other so you can make the transit airside either at NRT or HND, regardless of separate tickets or same ticket. (Japan is very unlikely opening the borders anytime remotely soon, sadly). But, even via countries that do require a visa and you couldn't enter, still separate ticket transit is typically allowed if you don't check luggage or if your carrier allows through checked luggage on other carriers (separate ticket).

The other part of your initial question, "Landing" means entering the country in immigration terms. You never "land" if you never enter the country.

Last edited by dvs7310; May 11, 20 at 11:49 am
dvs7310 is offline  
Old May 11, 20, 6:15 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 11,466
Originally Posted by dvs7310 View Post
Assuming your seperate tickets have origin and destination points both from NRT or HND, then you could likely get one ticket changed to match the other so you can make the transit airside either at NRT or HND, regardless of separate tickets or same ticket. (Japan is very unlikely opening the borders anytime remotely soon, sadly). But, even via countries that do require a visa and you couldn't enter, still separate ticket transit is typically allowed if you don't check luggage or if your carrier allows through checked luggage on other carriers (separate ticket).

The other part of your initial question, "Landing" means entering the country in immigration terms. You never "land" if you never enter the country.
At the moment there are no JL routes operating from both NRT and HND. In June and July, when OP is wanting to fly, the schedule may start to expand compared to now, but I would think it unlikely that there are (m)any routes that will go to double daily so the shift could be possible. Though there could be a rejig of airports if the Japanese government stops requiring flights from certain destinations arriving in Narita only.
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old May 12, 20, 4:53 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 261
Thanks. As mentioned earlier I would be arriving in NRT and departing HND, which as you point out, would not be possible under current restrictions. Will keep checking routes and schedules, see if by any chance JAL consolidates flights into the same airport.
dvs7310 likes this.
Mister P. is offline  
Old May 12, 20, 11:15 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NRT / HND
Programs: AA EXP, Former UA 1K
Posts: 4,425
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
At the moment there are no JL routes operating from both NRT and HND. In June and July, when OP is wanting to fly, the schedule may start to expand compared to now, but I would think it unlikely that there are (m)any routes that will go to double daily so the shift could be possible. Though there could be a rejig of airports if the Japanese government stops requiring flights from certain destinations arriving in Narita only.
Fair point, I've been sort of detached from some of the ongoing changes since recently, effectively we couldn't travel anyway. (well, Japan permanent residents i.e. without a Japanese passport, not sure if you fall into that or not, but I do). I totally forgot that China and Korea flights still must go to NRT vs HND. Considering the extreme (near zero) volume of incoming international passengers now, it's a moot point and service should move back to HND, it was put in place around the end of March when we still had quite a few flights incoming from all over the world and they wanted to be able to more effectively deal with at risk passengers. Frankly those are the last two countries we should be worried about now. Though, selfishly I have to say I really love Tokyo without tourists again, it reminds me of when I first came here. I've heard from my in-laws that Kyoto is now downright enjoyable for locals again.
dvs7310 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: