JAL schedule for June and July 2020?

Old May 12, 20, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
I went to Kyoto last weekend in March, it was fantastic, hanami like in the good old days when I lived in Kyoto. No crowds, no rush, lots of lovely pictures with no people in them. I greatly enjoyed that.

I was in Ginza a Sunday shortly before the state of emergency. Same feeling, no crowds, no rush, very relaxed.

But of course I can also imagine what that must do to the economy. Maybe there is a balance between now and 2019.
dvs7310 likes this.
Old May 14, 20, 2:30 am
Original Poster

JAL just published their schedule for next month, basically all flights to Australia and Europe (except London) cancelled at least through the end of June. Going back to my original query about being able to transit Japan (under current entry restrictions) I have found an itinerary that could possibly work for July 2020: 1. SYD-HND (JAL) & 2. HND-HEL (JAL), which I would have to ticket as 2 separate awards. Now, hoping that JAL does not cancel any of these flights (big hope!) would JAL allow me to check in, check through luggage and board the first flight in SYD, given that it is all on JAL metal? If yes, anyone knows if the Transit section of Royal Park Hotel Tokyo Haneda is open at the moment? Thanks in advance.
Old May 14, 20, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by Mister P. View Post
JAL just published their schedule for next month, basically all flights to Australia and Europe (except London) cancelled at least through the end of June. Going back to my original query about being able to transit Japan (under current entry restrictions) I have found an itinerary that could possibly work for July 2020: 1. SYD-HND (JAL) & 2. HND-HEL (JAL), which I would have to ticket as 2 separate awards. Now, hoping that JAL does not cancel any of these flights (big hope!) would JAL allow me to check in, check through luggage and board the first flight in SYD, given that it is all on JAL metal? If yes, anyone knows if the Transit section of Royal Park Hotel Tokyo Haneda is open at the moment? Thanks in advance.
JAL will check you through across tickets. That is not a problem at all.

I don't know about the transit hotel, no information on their website?

Edit:
The airside part of the hotel is closed until the 30th of June. At least.
https://www.the-royalpark.jp/the/tok...ils.php?id=117

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; May 14, 20 at 2:43 am Reason: Addtional info
Old May 14, 20, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks! Had not seen the information on the Royal Park, thanks for the link.
Old May 16, 20, 9:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond. Marriott: Platinum. AA: EXP 1MM. Delta: Silver. Etihad: Silver. Emirates Silver
So for the month of June, to clarify my understanding, if you're a US citizen and coming from the US and transiting overnight (i.e. one night stay in Tokyo) for 20 hours at HND then you will not be allowed to go through immigration and be able to enter Japan?
Old May 16, 20, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yabadoo View Post
So for the month of June, to clarify my understanding, if you're a US citizen and coming from the US and transiting overnight (i.e. one night stay in Tokyo) for 20 hours at HND then you will not be allowed to go through immigration and be able to enter Japan?
Correct. At the moment non Japanese citizens arriving from the US are not allowed to enter Japan.
Old May 23, 20, 10:49 pm

Does anybody know why JL seems to be flying much less than NH? Maybe just the routes I'm looking at, but NH still gets you places. JL gets you absolutely nowhere in Asia.
Unluckily I have have Oneworld partner miles and not Star Alliance.
Old May 27, 20, 7:55 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
Does anybody know why JL seems to be flying much less than NH? Maybe just the routes I'm looking at, but NH still gets you places. JL gets you absolutely nowhere in Asia.
Unluckily I have have Oneworld partner miles and not Star Alliance.
Use your miles on other OW airlines in the region!
(Whenever they resume their flights, of course).
For JAL vs. ANA, one can only speculate. Obviously has to do with the difference in threshold for making losses by continuing flights.
- Tolerance to making losses during this pandemic? (ANA is the richer airline)
- More/better cargo contracts to maintain flights?
- Other demands for ANA that JAL doesn't equally have? (Japan govt. contracted cargo flights etc.)
I could speculate again and again.
Old May 27, 20, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Tokyoite View Post
For JAL vs. ANA, one can only speculate. Obviously has to do with the difference in threshold for making losses by continuing flights.
- Other demands for ANA that JAL doesn't equally have? (Japan govt. contracted cargo flights etc.)
Yea, this is one failing of OW. The other airline would be CX. I see Hong Kong is opening up for transit so maybe that would work. Otherwise OZ is Star Alliance, BR and SQ and TG as well. KE is neither alliance.
Old May 27, 20, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tokyoite View Post
From a balance sheet perspective, JAL was the stronger carrier going in to this mess. But having the cash (or even just less debt) is probably the least likely reason for operating flights, as they are mainly going to be cost centers rather than profit centers. I would agree that government requests and cargo probably are the biggest drivers for where there are actually frequencies.

I did a quick count (excuse any miscounts) for the two carriers for the coming week based on the the schedule adjustment they posted on their websites. The main difference is that NH does daily to Bangkok and KL. But in total NH has operations to 10 destinations in Oceania and Asia. JAL has 9 destinations in the same area, but JAL does not have daily operations to any destination. ANA has a total of 33 weekly departures JAL 14.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old May 27, 20, 11:29 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
From a balance sheet perspective, JAL was the stronger carrier going in to this mess. But having the cash (or even just less debt) is probably the least likely reason for operating flights, as they are mainly going to be cost centers rather than profit centers. I would agree that government requests and cargo probably are the biggest drivers for where there are actually frequencies.

I did a quick count (excuse any miscounts) for the two carriers for the coming week based on the the schedule adjustment they posted on their websites. The main difference is that NH does daily to Bangkok and KL. But in total NH has operations to 10 destinations in Oceania and Asia. JAL has 9 destinations in the same area, but JAL does not have daily operations to any destination. ANA has a total of 33 weekly departures JAL 14.
don’t forget about daily LAX on NH. For once, we should thank the Japanese government and NH for limiting JL’s expansion in the past decade. JL was in a much better position partly due to this.
Old May 27, 20, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
donít forget about daily LAX on NH. For once, we should thank the Japanese government and NH for limiting JLís expansion in the past decade. JL was in a much better position partly due to this.
I was only looking at Asia and Oceania, not Europe and US.
Old Jun 9, 20, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Hi,
Anyone knows if Japan Airlines will be operating JL 52 SYD-HND or JL 774 MEL-NRT next month (July 2020)? I am trying to make a booking on the JAL website but keep getting the following message,
Warning: We are unable to find recommendations for your search (7190 - 9913)

Thanks
Old Jun 9, 20, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mister P. View Post
Hi,
Anyone knows if Japan Airlines will be operating JL 52 SYD-HND or JL 774 MEL-NRT next month (July 2020)? I am trying to make a booking on the JAL website but keep getting the following message,
Warning: We are unable to find recommendations for your search (7190 - 9913)

Thanks
The schedule has not been published yet, be if inventory is removed from booking, a good sign is that they will not. ANA published their schedule for July yesterday, so JAL probably won't be too far behind.
Old Jun 9, 20, 4:22 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
Just fly with NH if you MUST go to Japan in July

Search this Thread
Search Engine: