Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Seat Reservation JAL (BA Codeshare) Nobody is responsible

Seat Reservation JAL (BA Codeshare) Nobody is responsible

Old Apr 24, 20, 11:16 am
  #16  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 15,356
Originally Posted by Gabo000 View Post
But what is the reason why BA always refers to JAL ?!

In my case, with Economy Q, am I entitled to a seat reservation or not?
canít help, itís a BA problem. JL is consistent with all codeshare partners.
JALPak is online now  
Old Apr 25, 20, 11:41 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BKK
Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
Posts: 1,096
BA does not allow free advance seat reservations in economy if you do not have status in a oneworld programme (7 days in advance for Ruby, free for Sapphire and Emerald). Only exception I believe are some corporate agreements and potentially full-fare Y.
SKT-DK is offline  
Old Apr 26, 20, 11:44 am
  #18  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 12
I got my seats back from BA customer service. Finally
Gabo000 is offline  
Old Apr 27, 20, 7:19 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 403
Originally Posted by SKT-DK View Post
BA does not allow free advance seat reservations in economy if you do not have status in a oneworld programme (7 days in advance for Ruby, free for Sapphire and Emerald). Only exception I believe are some corporate agreements and potentially full-fare Y.
This is true of BA flights but should not be of JAL flights even if marketed by BA, surely?
_nate is offline  
Old May 6, 20, 10:01 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 97
Hi, it seems I'm facing a very similar issue. Booked with BA flights Economy Q on JAL metal (LHR-HND-ITM), but can't select seats nor even access my booking on JAL website. I'm OWS so should be able to select seats anyway? And how do I access my booking on JAL website? It's accessible on Finnair, Qantas, RJ... but not on JAL?
oruvin is offline  
Old May 6, 20, 10:04 am
  #21  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 12
Hi. You need to contact BA customer service. They can do it.
be persistent if they refer to JAL
oruvin likes this.
Gabo000 is offline  
Old May 6, 20, 11:15 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 97
I wonder is there any way to do it online, through MMB or somehow else - doubt it's a good time to call BA now...
oruvin is offline  
Old May 7, 20, 7:42 pm
  #23  
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Posts: 16,547
Originally Posted by oruvin View Post
I wonder is there any way to do it online, through MMB or somehow else - doubt it's a good time to call BA now...
Getting thru to BA HK after 20 mins of wait time or thereabouts.
percysmith is online now  
Old May 11, 20, 2:37 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 97
So... Called BA. Agent 1 said BA has no responsibility as it's JAL flight. Hang up, called again - BA Agent 2 said she can access seat map, but she can't change our sits from automatically assigned seats, the system is giving an error and advised to call JAL. So called JAL, they said they have no control over it as the flight is booked by BA and it's BA responsibility, at least until check in. Called BA again, Agent 3 said she cannot change seats (system doesn't let to do so) and said to call JAL as it's their flight anyway, and they should be able to whatever they want.

What next?
oruvin is offline  
Old May 11, 20, 2:50 am
  #25  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 11,645
Originally Posted by oruvin View Post
So... Called BA. Agent 1 said BA has no responsibility as it's JAL flight. Hang up, called again - BA Agent 2 said she can access seat map, but she can't change our sits from automatically assigned seats, the system is giving an error and advised to call JAL. So called JAL, they said they have no control over it as the flight is booked by BA and it's BA responsibility, at least until check in. Called BA again, Agent 3 said she cannot change seats (system doesn't let to do so) and said to call JAL as it's their flight anyway, and they should be able to whatever they want.

What next?
JAL is technically correct, it is the responsibility of the marketing carrier to assign seats, hence it is BA's responsibility. If you call BA with a JL coded flight you will get the same replies as here. The only difference is that JL webiste is normally cooperative for picking seats on JL code shares on BA, and the BA website is quite cooperative in assigning seats on JL code shares, even with a better selection that what you can get through JL.
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old May 11, 20, 2:59 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 97
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
JAL is technically correct, it is the responsibility of the marketing carrier to assign seats, hence it is BA's responsibility. If you call BA with a JL coded flight you will get the same replies as here. The only difference is that JL webiste is normally cooperative for picking seats on JL code shares on BA, and the BA website is quite cooperative in assigning seats on JL code shares, even with a better selection that what you can get through JL.
Yeah, that's what I've thought. But anyway, how to assign seats in this situation?
BA says the system doesn't let them, JAL says it should be done by BA..

EDIT:
Got it sorted... I've got tired of them both bouncing me from each other, so I just made a 3-way conference call with BA and JAL agents, and asked them to sort it between themselves. BA agent was able to change seats straight away. No clue why 3 previous BA agents weren't able to do so.

Last edited by oruvin; May 11, 20 at 3:14 am
oruvin is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: