Mileage expiry during coronavirus

Old Mar 14, 20, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Thumbs down Mileage expiry during coronavirus

Got ~ 24K miles expiring next month and I emailed JAL asking to extend because it's hard to use miles right now given the current crisis. Got a flat refusal.
Anyone have any experience extending JAL miles. Given the current extraordinary situation, I think it's an understandable request, no?
Old Mar 14, 20, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by aramis78 View Post
Got ~ 24K miles expiring next month and I emailed JAL asking to extend because it's hard to use miles right now given the current crisis. Got a flat refusal.
Anyone have any experience extending JAL miles. Given the current extraordinary situation, I think it's an understandable request, no?
I would say it is a very reasonable request, though so far JAL has not announced anything.

If you are based in Japan, and nothing happens, you could convert them to e points at the last possible day. That way you can at least keep them for another year. Not the greatest value, but better than zero.
Old Mar 14, 20, 3:18 am
Original Poster

I dont live in Japan so no such options. Thanks for the tip though. I did send another request. Let's see what happens!
Old Mar 14, 20, 5:24 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
You can redeem travel up to a year ahead. Start planning next year’s vacation?
Old Mar 15, 20, 8:54 am

I'm planning on cashing out via amazon gift cards. Note that this promo ends March 31st. The value is .008cpp,

https://www.ar.jal.co.jp/world/en/ja...rd/amazon.html
Old Mar 15, 20, 11:54 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
You mean $0.008 per point, or 0.8 cpp.

Originally Posted by jacisme View Post
I'm planning on cashing out via amazon gift cards. Note that this promo ends March 31st. The value is .008cpp,

https://www.ar.jal.co.jp/world/en/ja...rd/amazon.html
Old Mar 15, 20, 12:35 pm

Correct! Apologies. That would be an extra terrible offer!

Anyone know if they have a history of extending the amazon offer or is this an actual deadline?
Old Mar 17, 20, 12:59 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by jacisme View Post
Correct! Apologies. That would be an extra terrible offer!

Anyone know if they have a history of extending the amazon offer or is this an actual deadline?
consider it a firm deadline since this is not a recurrent offer.
grab some value for your miles while you can, otherwise they will disappear. dont over think it.
Old Mar 17, 20, 7:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, Former UA 1K
Really a shame, JL has absolutely no method of converting small amounts of points to anything at all. I looked at e-points suggested in this thread, have to have at least 5,000 points. Amazon suggestion is not available in Japan and the US one takes 12,000 points. 2k points can be converted to a wifi voucher, but anything less than that seems to be useless. Would be nice to see an extension for COVID19, but won't hold my breath.
Old Mar 17, 20, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by dvs7310 View Post
Really a shame, JL has absolutely no method of converting small amounts of points to anything at all. I looked at e-points suggested in this thread, have to have at least 5,000 points. Amazon suggestion is not available in Japan and the US one takes 12,000 points. 2k points can be converted to a wifi voucher, but anything less than that seems to be useless. Would be nice to see an extension for COVID19, but won't hold my breath.
I don't see why this is not an option in Japan.

https://www.jal.co.jp/jalmile/use/partner/amazon/
Old Mar 17, 20, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
I don't see why this is not an option in Japan.

https://www.jal.co.jp/jalmile/use/partner/amazon/
Ah, fair point. The English page only has the overseas Amazon, I guess that in the typical short-sided Japanese way JL assumes that all members living in Japan read/speak Japanese.

Still not very useful for members with a small amount of expiring points. Would be far more useful if you could exchange any amount starting with 1.
Old Mar 17, 20, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Here is one that I think is a good idea for small amounts of miles that will not buy anything meaning full anyway.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/use/next-athlete/
Old Mar 18, 20, 7:14 am
Original Poster

I'm not in any region where the Amazon offer is available. FlyingBlue announced that no miles will expire this year. How unfriendly of JAL!
Old Mar 18, 20, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by aramis78 View Post
I'm not in any region where the Amazon offer is available. FlyingBlue announced that no miles will expire this year. How unfriendly of JAL!
Things are still changing rapidly and they may finally agree to a mileage extension... however having lived in Japan for quite a long time now, I wouldn't necessarily hold my breath. They (the country, not only JAL) are very rigid with the rulebook most of the time and in times of crisis is that everyone should suffer together equally. You would be shocked at how many people all over the country cancelled trips in 2011 during Golden Week or even summer holiday for that reason, in solidarity, because people in Tohoku were still suffering from the tsunami in March.

In your case, if you've got enough miles about to fizzle away, it might be worth changing your address to a country with Amazon and cheap international shipping (think US and UK) in order to convert the miles, then at some point in the future change it back... claim a temporary move or something. I'd check first that the vouchers come via email and not snail mail, but usually with Amazon these days, it's done by code online. Doesn't look like region changes can be done online, I looked at my account and it's locked to Japan but does give an option to contact customer service if I "move out of Japan". Thankfully I'm only losing a small amount of miles since they didn't see any use in allowing conversions to select programs starting at 1 mile instead of 5,000. If I still had 5,000 miles I'd be buying domestic tickets instead, lol... it's a ridiculous number to start conversion at (granted, wifi vouchers are 2,000, but I'm well below that now thanks to my last trip and enjoying the much improved Panasonic wifi). I hate to see any balance go to waste, regardless of how small, e-points would be perfect since I do fly JL a lot domestically.
Old Mar 18, 20, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by dvs7310 View Post
Things are still changing rapidly and they may finally agree to a mileage extension... however having lived in Japan for quite a long time now, I wouldn't necessarily hold my breath. They (the country, not only JAL) are very rigid with the rulebook most of the time and in times of crisis is that everyone should suffer together equally. You would be shocked at how many people all over the country cancelled trips in 2011 during Golden Week or even summer holiday for that reason, in solidarity, because people in Tohoku were still suffering from the tsunami in March.

In your case, if you've got enough miles about to fizzle away, it might be worth changing your address to a country with Amazon and cheap international shipping (think US and UK) in order to convert the miles, then at some point in the future change it back... claim a temporary move or something. I'd check first that the vouchers come via email and not snail mail, but usually with Amazon these days, it's done by code online. Doesn't look like region changes can be done online, I looked at my account and it's locked to Japan but does give an option to contact customer service if I "move out of Japan". Thankfully I'm only losing a small amount of miles since they didn't see any use in allowing conversions to select programs starting at 1 mile instead of 5,000. If I still had 5,000 miles I'd be buying domestic tickets instead, lol... it's a ridiculous number to start conversion at (granted, wifi vouchers are 2,000, but I'm well below that now thanks to my last trip and enjoying the much improved Panasonic wifi). I hate to see any balance go to waste, regardless of how small, e-points would be perfect since I do fly JL a lot domestically.
What you suggest is clearly against the JMB T&C.

The only address the Member can register with the JMB will be either the Member's home address or Member's work address in that country where the Member is presently residing.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: